5 Minute Tones

I played 3 AC30's side by side a while ago, all with different speakers and enjoyed them all. From memory it was a set of Alnico blues, some 70's Fanes and a set of 25 watt greenbacks.
I would like to try a vox with greenbacks to see if they're any different

My Strat through the AC20 with 12dB of CC Boost, the 4x12 Brit TV SIC, and the 4x12 Beatle IR.
20191119_214648.jpg

Where's the preset?
AC20BuddaBeatle.syx

EDIT: New preset without the globals. Sorry 'bout that, Chief! AC20BuddaBeatleNoGlobals.syx
Bonus: Updated copy with CE2-style stereo chorus: AC20BuddaBeatleCE2NoGlobals.syx

Last edited:
I like the AC20 through Greenbacks quite a bit, often using the 4x12 Marshall type cabs. I typically find Alnico Blue/Gold impulses especially open back to be kind of thin.

Thanks for the AC-20 video, Leon. I'm gonna have to play around with the AC-20 in some the presets I'm using for various Tom Petty tunes.

I think of Petty every time I play the AC20.

On the topic of great clean amps here's the latest video.

17/64 is fun with delays for that "tripping balls" psycho-delic swimminess. Your drummer needs to be able to ignore the delay repeats being 'late', though....

Even if I filter down to eg: 2x12 V30 there's like a hundred options. Browsing through them, they all sound different, but which ones sound better? Even worse, after picking one, it will sound totally different to my ears after a few minutes of playing through it.

Here's my current process. It might not be worth anything, but maybe it can help:

I use the Axe Fx 3 as an audio interface with a computer. So I have a bunch of things already composed in the DAW, or just even some loops from the libraries I've bought over the decades. So I get something going in the DAW. Simple, and without guitar.

Then I a play, and pick through the (edit) cabs / IRs until I find something which fits into the mix, more or less.
I've tried the Looper approach, and find this does help get a better sound in the context of a mix, but I lose sensitivity to what it feels like to play through any particular cab. So I end up having to go back to playing through it to test that it both sounds and feels right. That's just because I'm real picky about what it feels like to play through some signal path.

Anyway. Rambled. Hope it helps!

Last edited:
I've had Whitesnake riffs in my head ever since your video last week. Right now too matter of fact.

New 5 minutes tone!

This might be one of your best tone video yet! @2112 :eek: 🤘

Now I would d!e for you to explore this Live Gary Moore tone (Soldano era) :

@2112 Probably one of your best 5 minute vids if not the best, despite not a big fan of Whitesnake I have these riffs on my head now all day and out of simplicity you've created a damn amazing tone!!!

BRAVO AMIGO!!

I had that Live in London concert on VHS and thrashed it - made me save up and get a Soldano! Insane tone.

If this is the tone that made you save up for your first high end / expensive tube amp (and still to this day, one of your favorite amp!)
It's mandatory that you try to achieve that tone in a future 5 minutes tone video! 🤘

Back
Top Bottom