5 Minute Tones

Thanks guys. I'd assumed they would pull up the same results, bit strange that they don't really. :veryconfused: Gonna give this a go with my new PRS! :D
And of course, thanks a lot LT, really enjoy your tones. 👍
I had the same issue.
That’s not the case for his presets however. You’ll find them all in Axe Edit’s AxeChange.
If you haven’t already, subscribe to his YouTube page, it’s fantastic

Leon,
Great Video! Short and sweet!

I posted a shorter comment on YouTube but I wanted to elaborate.

You asked what kind of 5 Minute Tone topics we would like to see...

Being new to the Axe FX I never envisioned the amount of tweaking involved, and tweaking things I knew nothing about like IR's.

I think it would be nice to do a 5 Minute Tones: Impulse Responses, What are they? Which ones to start with, and How to dial one in quickly.

There is a learning curve that that when explained isn't hard to grasp but when you encounter it as a newbie it can be confusing and a barrier to embracing the technology.

I had no one tell me "look if you want to run the Axe Fx through power amps and cabs that is one discipline with it's own learning curve".

"But if you want to use the whole package with virtual cabinets and mics there is a learning curve that is different than what you are used to, so be patient put your thinking cap on and I will explain a few things": Quick overview, which IR's to start with, how to dial one in and get on with it.

I went through so many IR's with a modded Marshall type sound and it went like this, play, "nope" set pick down or worse hold pick and click on mouse, go to the next IR, play, "nope" hundreds of times to finally realize maybe 10%-15% of these work and the rest don't. I'm learning a few tricks to tweak them into something usable but I'm patient...

I can see some people saying "nope this isn't for me".
Out of frustration I plugged the Axe Fx into the FX return of my TopHat Emplexador, bypassed the proper globals and guess what? 90% of the models sounded great!
I'm thinking to myself "why does this have to be this difficult"?!

I think a video like that would help people understand that they are going to have to learn something "they don't know that they don't know" and it may take a little time but be patient, it's something new and here is a quick way to get results.

Maybe even partner with a company that makes IR's that are really good.

That's a video I would have liked to have seen about a week ago.

You do good work, and influenced my decision to take the leap.

Cheers!
After reading this, I thought I’d give you a tip for the mouse, pick, click, drop next thing.
Leon mentioned this to me, and I was like “duh”.

1. Record a short riff with the looper
2. Press the play button, letting it repeat endlessly.
3. Put the guitar and pick down
4. Click through IR’s while the loop is playing until you find one you like. You could stop there OR “highlight it w a color” and keep going
5. When you’ve found your favorite ir’s, stop the looper.
6. Pick the guitar back up, and play all night long.

You’ll save a lot of time, and play more.
The same method can be done for trying presets.

Hope this helps.

That’s not the case for his presets however. You’ll find them all in Axe Edit’s AxeChange.
If you haven’t already, subscribe to his YouTube page, it’s fantastic

Ah, that's a shame, I've already grabbed his presets from the FracBot Axe-Change, was hoping there'd be a few more on the website. :)
Amazing of him to share his knowledge, give us his time and all of this stuff for free, really appreciated.

@2112 Just listened to your Bogner clean with the Plex Delay. Gorgeous tone my friend. Question, Is there a difference of running Plex in Parallel at 100% versus putting it serially at 50%? Just curious as to the reasons. Thanks

MM

Leon,
Great Video! Short and sweet!

I posted a shorter comment on YouTube but I wanted to elaborate.

You asked what kind of 5 Minute Tone topics we would like to see...

Being new to the Axe FX I never envisioned the amount of tweaking involved, and tweaking things I knew nothing about like IR's.

I think it would be nice to do a 5 Minute Tones: Impulse Responses, What are they? Which ones to start with, and How to dial one in quickly.

There is a learning curve that that when explained isn't hard to grasp but when you encounter it as a newbie it can be confusing and a barrier to embracing the technology.

I had no one tell me "look if you want to run the Axe Fx through power amps and cabs that is one discipline with it's own learning curve".

"But if you want to use the whole package with virtual cabinets and mics there is a learning curve that is different than what you are used to, so be patient put your thinking cap on and I will explain a few things": Quick overview, which IR's to start with, how to dial one in and get on with it.

I went through so many IR's with a modded Marshall type sound and it went like this, play, "nope" set pick down or worse hold pick and click on mouse, go to the next IR, play, "nope" hundreds of times to finally realize maybe 10%-15% of these work and the rest don't. I'm learning a few tricks to tweak them into something usable but I'm patient...

I can see some people saying "nope this isn't for me".
Out of frustration I plugged the Axe Fx into the FX return of my TopHat Emplexador, bypassed the proper globals and guess what? 90% of the models sounded great!
I'm thinking to myself "why does this have to be this difficult"?!

I think a video like that would help people understand that they are going to have to learn something "they don't know that they don't know" and it may take a little time but be patient, it's something new and here is a quick way to get results.

Maybe even partner with a company that makes IR's that are really good.

That's a video I would have liked to have seen about a week ago.

You do good work, and influenced my decision to take the leap.

Cheers!
This is a good suggestion. But remember it is like golf...you never conquer it. I've been Fractaling for over a decade and STILL learn things and have fresh ideas on something new. Leon Todd, Brett Kingman, Cooper Carter, Mark Day, Yek and many others (that I may be leaving out but just can't recall), are Gods and help the whole community out with visual YouTube channels. They are all fantastic fast melodic players, make quality content, and seem like really friendly dudes that have a nice speaking tone and flow. It is a marathon and not a sprint! Enjoy the ride......

@2112 Just listened to your Bogner clean with the Plex Delay. Gorgeous tone my friend. Question, Is there a difference of running Plex in Parallel at 100% versus putting it serially at 50%? Just curious as to the reasons. Thanks

MM

Thanks for reminding me to post that in this thread!

Regarding the parallel routing, that's more habit than anything else for me as i generally enjoy having delay trails seperate from big ambient verbs. There's a discussion about the mix law for several blocks here

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/erudite-explanation-of-mix-vs-level-vs-input-gain.156960/

Great sounds using the Plex delay. Please tell me what is the purpose of putting it in parallel with a shunt? My simple brain says that doing so will cause the sound to take the most simple path and ignore the delay. (I have read the linked post above but it doesn't answer my question).

I can understand putting say a reverb & a delay in parallel but can't work out putting something in parallel with a shunt...

Last edited:
Great sounds using the Plex delay. Please tell me what is the purpose of putting it in parallel with a shunt? My simple brain says that doing so will cause the sound to take the most simple path and ignore the delay. (I have read the linked post above but it doesn't answer my question).

I can understand putting say a reverb & a delay in parallel but can't work out putting something in parallel with a shunt...
If you make the effect in parallel with the shunt 100% wet, it gives a similar outcome as going serial at 50%, but you have a completely separate path for the effected portion of the signal, which lets you do things to it separately from the dry signal.

There is no "simple path". Audio follows all paths from left to right (aside from the Send/Return, which can go back to the left.

Thank you both for your replies. It's still not quite making sense. I'll have a play with it later & see what I can make of it!

Please tell me what is the purpose of putting it in parallel with a shunt?
As @2112 said,
...that's more habit than anything else for me...
WIth the Plex Delay in parallel, you can set its mix to 100%, and adjust the amount of the effect by using the Plex Delay's Level parameter. That lets you leave the dry signal at the same level, no matter how much effect you dial in. But if you have it in series, you have to use the Mix parameter. If you dial Mix all the way up, the dry signal goes away altogether. For some purposes, that's great. For others, not so much. It depends on what you want.

My simple brain says that doing so will cause the sound to take the most simple path and ignore the delay.
There's nothing about a signal that will make it prefer a simple path over a complex path.

And if you look up the diagram of the Plex Delay in the manual, you'll see that it has an internal shunt in parallel with the effect. ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom