5.07 Freezes?

Well that didnt work. had high hopes as i got 40-50 minutes past the FW update - but no. Froze on a patch change. This was after 8 hours of playing on FW5.04b with no issues whatsoever.

Unless I get something back from G66, Im staying with FW5.04b. First time Ive had issues since updating to FW4.something on my old Standard.

*Edit* - this time it scared my because its taken 5 power resets, with a minute or two between off/ons to get it working again.

Last edited:
Well that didnt work. had high hopes as i got 40-50 minutes past the FW update - but no. Froze on a patch change. This was after 8 hours of playing on FW5.04b with no issues whatsoever.

Unless I get something back from G66, Im staying with FW5.07b. First time Ive had issues since updating to FW4.something on my old Standard.

*Edit* - this time it scared my because its taken 5 power resets, with a minute or two between off/ons to get it working again.

well that sucks. I wonder what is different about your setup that is causing it.

I've had my first freeze ever with firmware 5.07.

But in my case it was at power up. Recycled the power and it came back no problem.

Richard

Unless I get something back from G66, Im staying with FW5.04b. First time Ive had issues since updating to FW4.something on my old Standard.

Did you have axe-edit running?

If some one who is experiencing these lockups try this to nail down the issue:
* Upgrade Firmware to 5.07
* Reset system params from utility menu on HW
* Upload latest V5 preset banks (A, B, C) to HW via editor (the newest ones upload to the site yesterday)
* shut down the editor, do not make any changes with the editor
* unplug USB, restart the unit

Paul, could you send a syx dump of your banks and system backup. I will load it into my II and see if I can recreate it.

Hey Paul - if you want to do an A/B experiment with a stock Axe 2 to try and nail down if it's your MFC or whatever, mine should be arriving on 2nd March. I'm pretty sure it will come with 5.04b loaded as the 5.07 was released just as g66 were sending it - so can do the FW update and download the updated stock presets etc etc.

Unless you know someone else nearer with one?

How long is your cat5 cable from MFC to Axe? Could that be an issue? Have you tried using 7 pin midi to power the mfc and give it a good old session?

Java, Ill download tomorrow (bedtime right now in the UK). that last list of "to dos" you posted didnt include restoring my own patches. Could it be id need to re-do them from scratch? that would NOT be good.

i didnt have Axe-Edit open as i only use it for FW updates. The only thing i didnt do was a power cycle after I re-sent the banks, but it had one after the first freeze and I still got a second.

Dont think its the MFX either, never had an issue with any other FW apart from 5.07. I know it seems that Im the only one experiencing this - but ice checked everything i can think of. Ive had no patch corruption, all my settings seem the same as always, I dont run Axe-Edit open, the freezez stop when I revert to 5.04 and re-occur with 5.07. Ive re-downloaded the Zip file twice and get the same issue. Ive factory re-set then reloaded the FW5 banks (mine came loaded with 5.01 anyway so were alredy the correct ones). the freezez happen randomly but have occurred on patch change via MFC, patch change via AE, with my own presets, with a factory preset, with an IA change and also with no changes just as i was playing to a BT. That accounts for the 4 freezes Ive had to date.

The only thing I can think of that has been mentioned (and that i havent already tried) is i have the USB permanently attached due to having a patch panel on the rear of the rack. Its not permanently connected to the PC but it is to the AFX. Not sure how this would affect things (particularly as I dont get the freezes on any other FW state) but I guess anythings worth trying.

Man, if you are on 504b @AE 272.
Should we be sitting tight ?
I don't think so... I've upgrade from 5.04 to 5.07 (and 5.05 and 5.06 non-public releases in between) and also to AE 273. NO lockups, and just [now] got back from a 3+ hr rehearsal where it was in use the whole time.

Man, if you are on 504b @AE 272.
Should we be sitting tight ?

It is working fine here and for most people. Fractal thinks it is most likely a axe-edit issue not a firmware issue. But you don't need to you can hang on 5.04 for a while. Just don't use the system back up in axe-edit on 5.04/272.

Java, Ill download tomorrow (bedtime right now in the UK). that last list of "to dos" you posted didnt include restoring my own patches. Could it be id need to re-do them from scratch? that would NOT be good.

i didnt have Axe-Edit open as i only use it for FW updates. The only thing i didnt do was a power cycle after I re-sent the banks, but it had one after the first freeze and I still got a second.

Dont think its the MFX either, never had an issue with any other FW apart from 5.07. I know it seems that Im the only one experiencing this - but ice checked everything i can think of. Ive had no patch corruption, all my settings seem the same as always, I dont run Axe-Edit open, the freezez stop when I revert to 5.04 and re-occur with 5.07. Ive re-downloaded the Zip file twice and get the same issue. Ive factory re-set then reloaded the FW5 banks (mine came loaded with 5.01 anyway so were alredy the correct ones). the freezez happen randomly but have occurred on patch change via MFC, patch change via AE, with my own presets, with a factory preset, with an IA change and also with no changes just as i was playing to a BT. That accounts for the 4 freezes Ive had to date.

The only thing I can think of that has been mentioned (and that i havent already tried) is i have the USB permanently attached due to having a patch panel on the rear of the rack. Its not permanently connected to the PC but it is to the AFX. Not sure how this would affect things (particularly as I dont get the freezes on any other FW state) but I guess anythings worth trying.

Just trying to eliminate variables. You might not even know a patch is corrupt. I had it happen to ma beta testing in the past. The rest of the team would fine and would have lockups. A couple of times it wound up being a few bad patches.

Many thanks Java, seems you found the fault.

it appears it was a corrupt preset. No outward signes of anything wrong. All parameters seemed correct to me. The first freeze was while just playing that preset. The freeze when pressing an IA was an amp X/Y toggle in that preset. The Freeze on patch change was switching to that preset. The freeze with the factory patch was using Axe-Edit, and the Euro blue (that it froze on) happened to be the same patch number as my corrupt patch - so the AFX2 froze when switching to it BEFORE the factory preset was loaded. the issues with o frozen bootup was because the last patch was the corrupt on - so the AFX was booting up with a corrupt patch. One in every 3/4 bootups actually loaded and as long as the first change from there was away fromt he patch everything seemed fine.

Fix was to update FW, while on another preset - then overwrite the corrupt preset and re-program it (I noted all my settings in FW 5.04b before updating the FW). Seems to have fixed the freezes - Ill post if i still get issues.

Hi, I followed Javajunkie's "how to" update post. After I updated to 5.0.7 my unit locked up every time I turned it on, regardless of what presets it was on. And sometimes it locked up on the "Axe FX II" banner that comes up during start up.
Never even made it to a full preset load. Once, when it didn't lock up on start up. I reset the unit again. Played for a few minutes. Then the meters froze and no sound! This is my second attempt at 5.0.7. I would say this firmware has an issue. Well, at least for me. I kept restarting till I got it in to the utility mode and managed to load 5.0.4 back in. And everything works fine. Just thought I 'd share.
Jamie

Last edited:
Hi, I followed Javajunkie's "how to" update post. After I updated to 5.0.7 my unit locked up every time I turned it on, regardless of what presets it was on. And sometimes it locked up on the "Axe FX II" banner that comes up during start up.
Never even made it to a full preset load. Once, when it didn't lock up on start up. I reset the unit again. Played for a few minutes. Then the meters froze and no sound! This is my second attempt at 5.0.7. I would say this firmware has an issue. Well, at least for me. I kept restarting till I got it in to the utility mode and managed to load 5.0.4 back in. And everything works fine. Just thought I 'd share.
Jamie

Send me you banks and system dump and I will see if I can help. Pm me and I'll iveyou my address.

Frozen too

Mine was freezing twice today. First time I was in the edit mode, second time I didn't touch anything, just playing. Will keep watching it.

Back
Top Bottom