5.07 Freezes?

paulmapp8306

Fractal Fanatic
Happened twice so far to me. Once an hour after updating the FW, then again 20 mins later. Unit locked - no sound, no response to any buttons. First time a power reset didnt help :(, but a second reset did. then the second time again a first reset didnt work - this time only getting to the AFX2 splash screen and no further. No LED cycles nothing. A second power reset fixed things.

I reverted back to 5.04b and so far (2 hours later) no issues. i did consider a bad FW download, but it passed its checks so ??? Anyone else having any issues like this? or any ideas where to go? (apart from staying with 5.04b).

Last edited:
It wasnt connected to anything except my MFC, and just random. Playing a fender patch on a 335 and suddenly no sound. I thought id pulled my guitar cable out. hadnt even pressed a button on the MFC.

Second freeze was the same.

it might be a fault on the AFX2 - its about 6 weeks old but this is the first glitch I have had. Its why I restored 5.04b. If I get no freezes over the weekend ill try 5.07 again - but ill re-download it first in case it got corrupt during that.

It wasnt connected to anything except my MFC, and just random.
I don't know if it has anything to do with a firmware load, but there is a place in the Axe II manual on Sysex backups where it says failing to power down or disconnect the MFC (depending on how you get power to it, I suppose) can cause unpredictable behavior in the MFC. I wonder if that is possible in reverse?

This may have nothing at all to do with your issue, it was just a thought from reading the manual. I think I'll unplug my MFC during firmware upgrading just to make sure it isn't a factor.

i have never seen a recommendation to unplug MFC during F/W flash. I would like this clarified for sure.

Not sure if its coincidence or not, but I had a freeze up tonight running 5.07 and AE273. I was loading a preset in AE and it crashed and the Axe locked up simultaneously. I cycled power on the Axe, restarted AE, then loaded the preset again and everything was fine. This is the first lockup I have ever had so its a bit fishy.

I don't know if it has anything to do with a firmware load, but there is a place in the Axe II manual on Sysex backups where it says failing to power down or disconnect the MFC (depending on how you get power to it, I suppose) can cause unpredictable behavior in the MFC. I wonder if that is possible in reverse?

This may have nothing at all to do with your issue, it was just a thought from reading the manual. I think I'll unplug my MFC during firmware upgrading just to make sure it isn't a factor.

i have never seen a recommendation to unplug MFC during F/W flash. I would like this clarified for sure.

I've had my MFC plugged in to the Axe-FX II (via Cat-5) from the first day I was working with beta firmware 0.01. I've never unplugged the MFC to do firmware updates, and I've done more firmware updates for beta testing than any one except other beta testers.

Well, played for a couple of hours on 5.04b with no issues. I left the AFX2 on overnight (didnt know if this would achieve anything but as the freezes happened with no button presses I thought Id try). woke up to a perfectly working AFX2. Played for another 30 mins - no issues.

so - I updated Axe-Edit, deleted the 5.07 FW from my PC, re-downloaded 5.07 and have just updated the AFX2 again. have to wait and see what happens.

Ummm. Approx 20-30 mins after re-updating to FW 5.07 My AFX2 froze again. Definately seems like a FW issue on my AFX2 at least. Oh well, Im reverting back to 4.04b again and will continue with that FW and see how things go.

Ummm. Approx 20-30 mins after re-updating to FW 5.07 My AFX2 froze again. Definately seems like a FW issue on my AFX2 at least. Oh well, Im reverting back to 4.04b again and will continue with that FW and see how things go.
is this happening on a particular set of presets? I have had preset corruption cause this.

i was playing my own presets, but they wernt corrupt. Same presets work fine on 5/04b. checked them again and nothing seems wrong with them.

Send what to support? the patches? doesnt matter which patch Im on. The last freeze was actually a factory preset - Euro Blue, taken from Axe-Edit (FW5 presets). Never had that one on the AFX since it came as the first 30 are my own presets now.

Jaques is on it at present.

Send what to support? the patches? doesnt matter which patch Im on. The last freeze was actually a factory preset - Euro Blue, taken from Axe-Edit (FW5 presets). Never had that one on the AFX since it came as the first 30 are my own presets now.

Ah okay, didn't know it were factory presets.

Hm, will be interesting to see how things turn out.

I knew it was right not to update just before last night's gig, despite nothing changed regarding the sound.

Try this, see if it doesn't fix it:
* Backup user presets (Banks A, B, C only) from HW via editor
* Upgrade Firmware to 5.07
* Reset system params from utility menu on HW
* Upload latest V5 preset banks (A, B, C) to HW via editor
* Re-upload cabs and re-create global blocks
* Restore (upload to hardware) desired user presets from backups via editor

Last edited:
Yes, my AXE FX 2 is freezing since the latest firmware update.
Going to back it down till the next update

Back
Top Bottom