1500 bucks, you say, Line6?

smart product design is a great way of enticing the consumer....up t date fonts on the display....user programmable labels...multi-function foot-switches. But...and here is the big BUT...when I tested an HD500 (as a hugely inexperienced user of effects who had never played a tube amp, but who had enjoyed music for 35 years as a listener and also DJ) its shortcomings were SO obvious. When I got my Axe FX II I was dumbfounded...it was indistinguishable from the recorded music I had heard.

The design of this POD looks great......sleek facia...good connectivity....nice display....but the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Let's see how good it sounds, because looks and features will matter little if it does not measure up to the ear.

One other factor...jobbing musicians on this forum (I am in professional services so am a mere bystander) are treated to the most incredibly responsive development cycle...you no like-y.....new feature delivered...you no expect-y....new feature delivered....you no deserve-y...still new feature delivered. It is simply incredible how well we are served by Cliff and crew. Even if this POD device comes up close on sound and physical durability (which for gigging musicians is a big ask) i am sceptical that the innovation cycle will be comparable.

good luck POD - your visuals promise much, but the bar is very high. ;-)

thanks
Gilesy

Last edited:
Well, looks like they are trying to step out of the lower end of the market...

That's a really nice looking HelAX8. I think they're on to something ;)

I agree with hippietim though, if it works great. If not, good luck finding another forum community as awesome as this one! :D

If that is indeed the case......well, crap. I'm out. I got all excited with that form factor and price point for a possible controller for my Axe with ritzy LED's and labels.

I'm really not sure anymore. Looking at the spec page for the $1,499 Helix floorboard it does say "You can even take control of your band's MIDI rig with up to six separate MIDI commands at patch recall" which would possibly suggest that unit has the ability to send midi PC/CC messages. Of course this doesn't really mean anything for the $499 controller but it does give me a little hope.

Edit:

Nevermind, the controller doesn't even have a midi out, it's literally just for the Helix rack unit :(

PDxnej6.png

Last edited:
There's a rack model too. MSRP is ~$1400. Looks like they are taking a legitimate shot at the high end. Dual DSP ala AFX, Routing with AFX like grid, very cool pedal board configurability, Loads IRs (to date L6s real Achilles heel). Design and interface looks super sexy amazeballs.

Based on the feature set it looks like it's going to be legit. I'm not shopping for a processor or likely to ditch my Fractal but if I were on the fence this thing would definitely keep me there. I'm not going to hate on it just because its an L6 and I love my Axe FXs. Competition is usually good for the consumer. This thing probably wouldn't have half these features if Fractal did not exist.

Line 6 has always had rack models and controllers. you could argue that the first POD setup was "rack" (the bean, now we call it desktop) with separate controller. i used that thing so much!

they were always going to come to the higher end party eventually .The design looks impressive

like everything it comes down to how it sounds in users hand not in flashy videos . Im not interested in one but it will be inetresting to see how it goes

There's a rack model too. MSRP is ~$1400. Looks like they are taking a legitimate shot at the high end. Dual DSP ala AFX, Routing with AFX like grid, very cool pedal board configurability, Loads IRs (to date L6s real Achilles heel). Design and interface looks super sexy amazeballs.

Based on the feature set it looks like it's going to be legit. I'm not shopping for a processor or likely to ditch my Fractal but if I were on the fence this thing would definitely keep me there. I'm not going to hate on it just because its an L6 and I love my Axe FXs. Competition is usually good for the consumer. This thing probably wouldn't have half these features if Fractal did not exist.

Agree with what you say say, but as I said, slick features are great until you realise the sound is fizzy, or pixelated, or thin. Fair play if they crack it but we know that, unless anything close to complete reproduction of the intended amp + fx sound is achieved, then it is 2nd best to the axe. A few hundred quid at that point becomes immaterial.

Cheers gilesy

Agree with what you say say, but as I said, slick features are great until you realise the sound is fizzy, or pixelated, or thin. Fair play if they crack it but we know that, unless anything close to complete reproduction of the intended amp + fx sound is achieved, then it is 2nd best to the axe. A few hundred quid at that point becomes immaterial.

Agree that, to date, no one has been able to touch Fractal in amp modeling realism and only Kemper has come close in tone with their profiling. But, I think given the features and price point and the fact that Line 6 has made some truly excellent mid-tier products (that, say what you want, but many have employed with tremendous success/results); if I were shopping I'd want to play that thing ASAP if I were in the market for a new processor; because it very likely has the potential to bring it. IMHO.

don't get it?

Cheers gilesy

Don't get why people would root against a product they haven't heard or tried? I have 2 Axes, Kemper, Amplifire and yes 2 HD Pros and and HD500x. Just put my HD500x and bean up for sale. The floor board is a given that I will get it as it will definitely be better than HD500x and for my use better than AX8. I am sure the AX8 will rock and I am recommending it to to over 6 buddys. I am on the FX8 and AX8 list. Will probably buy em. . . .to check em out then sell them to a fellow guitarrist in DR. I am big on dual amps and Variax is a huge part of my rig. That alone takes this up several notches.

I am not sure on the rack version as I am happy with Axe and use the HD Pros only for FX and routing. If the new ones give me more or better options I will have to look closely. If not. . .I don't but em. No need to bash or root against.

I kind of got chills when I opened the e-mail. I knew there had to be more than Amplifi.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't get why people would root against a product they haven't heard or tried? I have 2 Axes, Kemper, Amplifire and yes 2 HD Pros and and HD500x. Just put my HD500x and bean up for sale. The floor board is a given that I will get it as it will definitely be better than HD500x and for my use better than AX8. I am sure the AX8 will rock and I am recommending it to to over 6 buddys. I am on the FX8 and AX8 list. Will probably buy em. . . .to check em out then sell them to a fellow guitarrist in DR. I am big on dual amps and Variax is a huge part of my rig. That alone takes this up several notches.

I am not sure on the rack version as I am happy with Axe and use the HD Pros only for FX and routing. If the new ones give me more or better options I will have to look closely. If not. . .I don't but em. No need to bash or root against.

Good call - but if you read my quote I am not bashing. If they deliver then congrats to them. Affordable quality is a great offer. My experience of the hd500 was that it was a long way from the quality of the axe. If they have sorted this plus added the design features then excellent. My sense is that it is likely that there will be a compromise, but perhaps you are right in saying "don't knock it till you have tried it". I should hold back until we have a first hand review....so bring it on, and let's hear how it sounds!

Cheers Gilesy

Nevermind, the controller doesn't even have a midi out, it's literally just for the Helix rack unit :(

PDxnej6.png
Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like an Ethercon port. If so, then you might be able to hook that to the Axe, same as you would an MFC. In that case it would just depend on what type of messages the controller sends.

Or it could be that the Helix itself sends the MIDI commands in which case yea, the controller wouldn't help w/ AFX.

Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like an Ethercon port. If so, then you might be able to hook that to the Axe, same as you would an MFC.

No way. Just because a plug fits doesn't mean it will work. Power is probably on different pins so you'll guaranteed blow something up. It probably also communicates on a completely different SysEx language, so neither will communicate with the other.

From the L6 site: "To view this experience, please upgrade your device software to IOS 8"

Ummm, how about... no. I'm quite happy being part of the 19% that hasn't updated.

One area where I would expect this product to lag would be ongoing development/updates. Even if the 1.0 cut delivers, I would NOT expect frequent improvements, unless they really take a truly different approach with this product. One of the things that has driven my brand loyalty to Fractal is the very clear commitment to staying on the bleeding edge through a process of constant and never ending improvement. They are not satisfied with even being 'the best' which requires a deep commitment.

Back
Top Bottom