1500 bucks, you say, Line6?

Can I load third-party or my own custom IRs (Impulse Responses)?
Yes. IRs are loaded into Helix via the Helix Mac/PC software. They will then be available from special IR blocks that can be placed anywhere on your signal paths. Helix can store up to 128 1024 or 2048-point IRs, and a preset can run up to four IRs simultaneously (DSP permitting).

Fourteen LCDs… Really?
Yes, really. All that feedback makes a huge difference in the heat of the gig, especially when you custom label and/or custom color your switches. It also means we have more feature design flexibility in the future, because functionality isn’t restricted by chassis silkscreen.

Where are the tonestack knobs?
Under the big LCD. Since Helix can run up to four amps simultaneously (DSP permitting), pressing the AMP button quickly cycles through the tonestacks of any Amp+Cab, Amp, and Preamp blocks in a tone.

Where’s the Looper switch?
The Looper block is treated like any other effect—It can be placed anywhere on any of the four paths, or even routed to its own output. You can assign it to a footswitch or ignore it completely.

Where are the FX Loops?
Helix has four sends and returns that can be used separately, used together as an FX loop, or stereo linked. They can also act as additional inputs and outputs for processing keyboards, drum machines, or even other modelers—simultaneously.

Can I reamp?
Yes. You can reamp two instruments simultaneously. You can even choose which two physical inputs will be sent dry to your DAW.

This all sounds pretty deep. Is Helix easy to use?
STUPIDLY so. Nearly all day-to-day tonesculpting—from Variax string tuning to deep amp parameters to output routing and everything in between—is accomplished from one unified home screen. Just touch the desired footswitch (they’re capacitve touch) and turn the knobs. There—that’s 90% of your tweaking. Read the included one-page Helix Cheat Sheet and you’ll be a power user before you open the box.

More advanced features such as footswitch and controller assignment have shortcuts to get you the results you want at nearly the speed of thought. For example, you can assign your Variax’s tone knob to control delay feedback in roughly three seconds. Want expression pedal 3 to control looper playback level? Three seconds. The mod wheel on your MIDI keyboard to control rotary speaker speed? Three seconds. In many ways, it’s actually faster to tweak from the hardware than it is the editor.

Helix also has this cool Pedal Edit mode, which lets you adjust all of your amp and effects parameters without taking your hands off the guitar.

How’s the build quality?
Helix’s top panel is extruded from a solid block of aluminum and its side panels and treadle are solid aluminum as well. There’s no metal protection bar because our lead tester kicked the crap out of the metal knobs and they worked flawlessly. (I’m trying to convince Line 6 to upload the video.)

What’s the difference between Helix and Helix Rack?
Along with the Helix Control remote, Helix Rack’s workflow and feature set is virtually identical to that of Helix. Plus you get duplicate expression pedal jacks, a 1/4” analog bypass (buffered) output, AES/EBU in, and Wordclock in with terminator switch. Presets can be freely shared across both units with no file conversion required.

Why is Helix Rack 3 spaces? Couldn’t you have crammed it into 2 spaces?
No, but we tried. The color screen is far too large and there are too many ins and outs to fit into 2RU.

Good for them! Competition is never a bad thing for the consumer.

Never understood the L6 hate around here. Advances in technology are *always* a good thing, regardless where it comes from. It lights fires under asses.

I followed up up to "advances in technology." This is something L6 hasn't really done recently. They one thing they product that could be considered "new tech" is their wireless, and they didn't even invent that. They just packaged it better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The demo sounds impressive. My biggest reason for leaving L6 as a long-time customer was build quality. Too many equipment failures on different pieces of equipment over too short a time period. In the video they go out of their way to emphasize build quality. Hopefully that is the case and they've returned to their original quality from several years ago. My Pod XT bean was pretty indestructible and was a huge boon to me and my back problems. Sounds like the Yamaha buyout may be the best thing to happen to them in a while. I hope so, and it looks like this product has tremendous potential for them - they're listening to their customers' requests for things like IR capability.

Don't get me wrong! I can swing $1999 for FAS quality but none of that "buy as you go" nonsense, please!

Now, back to Line 6, if you will...

their DSP usage will be inetesting. I personally dont feel limited by the Axe fx dsp at all but when I had a HD500 before the axe fx I used to hit the limit all the time

i wonder how much yamaha was involved in algorithm design? If it has REV reverb and UD stomp delay in it, it could be a pretty cool piece!

Yeah, Now I noticed Sweetwater's price. This worries me as I wanted to get into an AX8 at around $1500, now I know it ain't gonna happen :(

I actually think it will cheaper, depending on cost per unit for fractal, what would you rather have a 1499.00 line 6 helix or a 1299.00 ax8? Not bashing line 6 as I have three variax's

Good for line 6. I came from many years of line 6 gear to axefx but i am glad to see they have something for serious guitarists. I am in love with my axefx but this thing looks awesome. Of course we have to see it in action but it certainly has all the buzzwords covered. Whoever designed the asthetics is ace. These are friggin sexy as hell.

One thing is for sure, if there aren't any major algorithm improvements, and the AX8 does come out at a similar price point, then the whole "but it's apples to oranges" argument goes right out the window, so I hope for their sake they aren't just putting out a price jacked pod with a pretty interface. That would kill them, and I love their wireless units.

I noticed the dual DSP architecture but the fact that they don't brag about it being a top-tier Analog Devices setup makes it a little dubious.

I'm curious about the HX modeling.

I just doubt it'll compete 1:1 with the current AFX Firmware.

I noticed the dual DSP architecture but the fact that they don't brag about it being a top-tier Analog Devices setup makes it a little dubious.

I'm curious about the HX modeling.

I just doubt it'll compete 1:1 with the current AFX Firmware.

They could put 12 DSP's in it, but if the modeling isn't vastly improved then you're still basically getting a very pretty, all be it fast processing POD.

Here's the thing, when I got my patches dialed in on my Axe for the first time, I made the realization that, if my patches are dialed in, a pretty, built in interface, with easy access knobs, and all sorts of colors was overkill.

My biggest grip with my Vetta 2 was that all I did was tweak. At home, at practice, at a gig, I found I was making adjustments. I don't ever feel the need to do that with my Axe.

the GUI and pedals feature look great ,but demo is really not great , would have liked 3 or 4 tones playing in the back without a univibe

the GUI and pedals feature look great ,but demo is really not great , would have liked 3 or 4 tones playing in the back without a univibe

What he said. I don't really care about anything but the way it sounds. The best non-tone related features don't make up for sub-par tone, so let's hear it already.

The tone is the first foot they should lead with, otherwise it all sounds like fluff.

If Line 6 have stepped up there game... good for them. I'll give the Helix some consideration. If not... well... they've always been masters at repackaging the same shit with additional bells and whistles. I won't hold by breath. With Yamaha calling the shots... there's a bit more optimism. Still not holding my breath.

Back
Top Bottom