Wish AXE FX III Core - 1U Rack Version

Oh jeez, I so don't want to have to drag a laptop or iPad with me to gigs to be able to make on the fly changes. I always use Axe Edit when I'm home, but when I'm playing out, I never, ever do- I always use the front panel.
I know there's been some recent criticism of the Fractal UI, but it's always seemed really functional to me, and I didn't find it hard to learn. It lets you do anything on the unit without having to rely on any outside hardware, and that (to me at least) is pretty darn valuable in of itself. It's not the prettiest UI, but it doesn't need to be. This is pro level gear- function over form.

Maybe in addition to the the small display and output level control(s), tuner, preset and scene selects, save and exit, add the 5 small rotary encoders plus switches to the FP, and have them control the Performance Page parameters?

So, preset/scene/tuner display switching to activated PP Params when the encoders are activated, output level, with 20 of your preferred user definable params front panel controllable!

Cheaper and would fit in 1U if applicable, for the win?

Last edited:
Oh jeez, I so don't want to have to drag a laptop or iPad with me to gigs to be able to make on the fly changes. I always use Axe Edit when I'm home, but when I'm playing out, I never, ever do- I always use the front panel.
I know there's been some recent criticism of the Fractal UI, but it's always seemed really functional to me, and I didn't find it hard to learn. It lets you do anything on the unit without having to rely on any outside hardware, and that (to me at least) is pretty darn valuable in of itself. It's not the prettiest UI, but it doesn't need to be. This is pro level gear- function over form.

I hear you, and we may disagree, however let me offer a different perspective.

I already take an iPad with me to shows so I can control my IEM mixes on the fly. It’s not a stretch to have FracPad on deck to also make changes on the fly, especially if I’m in a position where I can’t get away from my mic stand and go mess with the UI on the unit itself. Especially if I’m on a big stage.

It’s happened to me once, and it sucked not having instant access. I would also say this a different level of pro gear. This would be for guys who’s axe units would be sitting in their racks permanently, or guys who have techs backstage working on their rigs during a show etc.

It could exist in its own space, is what I’m saying. Hope it makes sense!

Maybe in addition to the the small display and output level control(s), tuner, preset and scene selects, add the 5 small rotary encoders plus switches to the FP, and have them control the Performance Page parameters?

So, preset/scene/tuner display switching to activated PP Params when the encoders are activated, output level, with 20 of your preferred user definable params front panel controllable!

Cheaper and would fit in 1U if applicable, for the win?

I can see this. This would be dope. It’s a good compromise!

you're more than likely to break the cable LONG before you break the port.
The USB ports were designed by the USB committee to be easy to connect. I doubt they had robustness over time or repeated use in mind, because how often do people plug and unplug their printers and scanners?

The Type-B (“peripheral”) connector on the back of printers and the modelers and such are notorious for breaking, and possibly because of repeated use, but I think stressing the connector laterally in the modeler is more likely to break it than breaking the cable or its ends.

I keep my FM9 attached to a pedal board and use the shortest XLR, 1/4” and USB connectors I could find to reduce the profile of the connectors as much as possible, after a very early experience with a drunk lead singer destroyed one of my FRFR cables. I think using a short USB connector is a cheap way to help avoid the problem.

The USB ports were designed by the USB committee to be easy to connect. I doubt they had robustness over time or repeated use in mind, because how often do people plug and unplug their printers and scanners?

The Type-B (“peripheral”) connector on the back of printers and the modelers and such are notorious for breaking, and possibly because of repeated use, but I think stressing the connector laterally in the modeler is more likely to break it than breaking the cable or its ends.

I keep my FM9 attached to a pedal board and use the shortest XLR, 1/4” and USB connectors I could find to reduce the profile of the connectors as much as possible, after a very early experience with a drunk lead singer destroyed one of my FRFR cables. I think using a short USB connector is a cheap way to help avoid the problem.
The best insurance for USB B is a USB B Extension cable, connected to the pedalboard or the FM3 itself, which relieves strain on the Axe's USB B connector.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-e&q=usb+b+extension

This protects against everything short of direct contact by a drunk singer LOL!

This is EXACTLY what the Eventide H9000R is versus the standard H9000. I own the H9000R which has 100% of the functionality via the Emote software, which is Axe Edit equivalent, but also with all controls beyond just presets and grids. The connectivity to computer is via either USB, Wireless or even Ethernet, so very reliable. I literally love the approach and would buy an AxeFX III-R if it existed. I suspect the two main differences are that (a) the AF3 is used much more live than in studio, so a non-computer GUI is probably desirable and (b) I suspect Axe Edit doesn't have any functionality to control anything other than preset design. In addition, the AxeFX III is relatively cheap, so it is unlikely a no-screen version would lower the price that much, whereas in the case of the H9000, there is a $2,000 difference between the two and the 2 software modules are free. I don't really know if Fractal would want to sell a 1U or even 2U software-only "blind" unit for say $1,500, but I would jump on it and use the savings to buy a FC12 or GT16. I would literally order one immediately if it existed. Besides, many musicians use laptops to perform live, so having a laptop to control your AF3 live seems quite reasonable.

Last edited:
+1 along with an FM0 please and thankyou

Now this gives me confidence. If Leon Todd wants one, Fractal should start working on it lol.

Also the FM0, which I would call the FM1, could be a half rack unit, similar to a wireless microphone transmitter. You could put 4 in a 2U Rack and it would be killer.

Now this gives me confidence. If Leon Todd wants one, Fractal should start working on it lol.

Also the FM0, which I would call the FM1, could be a half rack unit, similar to a wireless microphone transmitter. You could put 4 in a 2U Rack and it would be killer.
I wouldn't call it "FM"-anything going in a rack since it's pretty certain FM stands for Floor Modeler or something like that.

The whole point of FM0 requests is for something that goes on the pedalboard...

Eventide has a faceless version of the H9000. Not to save space, but to save cost.

H9000 $7,999
H9000R $5,999

That is not a crazy idea. If you're in the studio and the USB cable or the computer fails, you just replace it. C'est la vie. And if you are live and your presets are well tweaked, you do not need screen, laptop or USB cable; only a MIDI pedalboard.

1709768271293.png

Last edited:

Leon The Influencer :D
snl season 44 GIF by Saturday Night Live

Last edited:
Eventide has a faceless version of the H9000. Not to save space, but to save cost.

H9000 $7,999
H9000R $5,999

That is not a crazy idea. If you're in the studio and the USB cable or the computer fails, you just replace it. C'est la vie. And if you are live and your presets are well tweaked, you do not need screen, laptop or USB cable; only a MIDI pedalboard.

View attachment 136445
@2112 's chiming in got me thinking about what I'd like if I was in the "pro" camp. A couple things come to mind.

1. Part of my not wanting a new unit yet is because I just went into debt purchasing pedals for an 80's rack rig recreation project.
2. If I did jones for the "R" version, I'd want it to be an add on to an existing unit, preferably programmable from the original unit, but also immediately configurable via comprehensive sysex that's going to be around for a long time. Sort of a clone, and I wouldn't want to compromise on I/O

Part of this may be influenced by having a purchased an FM9 and S/PDIF cables because my patches kept maxing out the AxeFx, trying to get everything into the front and the rear of the unit in my kitchen sink presets.

SO, I'm sticking with #3...

3. I don't want to have to buy more product for awhile, and I favor gear that doesn't obsolete previous gear, adding to existing. :)

So yeah, I'm dubious on the concept, but already said that I imagine that if anyone can knock it out of the park, Fractal can. Cheers.

I'd buy it,
and work it into one of the FX loops of the Axe FX III.

It'd help simplify the challenges of creating morphing scenes between 4 separate amps. I like my channel-changes to take 500ms to 1000ms, to create a more-musical transition. Triggering a crossfading transition is quite easy to do if you only want two amps, but having four requires a separate unit.

Something like this is what I'd love to see at least for the next gen.

Computer and tablet editors could easily replace the front panel. Far better support for MIDI controllers could solve any lack of physical knobs. This would allow the Axe-Fx to be more of a "brain" unit that is not a big 3U box. Could go 1U with nothing more than a small preset/scene display and output volume controls on the front.

Back
Top Bottom