Wish AXE FX III Core - 1U Rack Version

RBM01991

I'm not sure if anyone else is with me on this, but I would really enjoy a 1U Rack version of the Axe III without the screen, front controls, and maybe a redesigned rear, to keep most of the I/O, but keep all the processing power.

On the front I'd like to see maybe 1 instrument input, output controls and meter for all 4 outputs, a tuner, and that's about it, as long as everything else can be adjusted, including all the global settings in Axe Edit.

On the rear, I'd like to see MIDI, 4 combo jacks and outputs, USB, and power.

Behringer had, and MIDAS currently has an M32 Core version of their X32 Rack unit, and as someone with an already incredibly busy rack, with IEM systems, wireless mics, video system, X32, S16, antenna combiners etc, as well as an AXE FX II and III, it would be really helpful to downsize and make our racks more user friendly, lighter and easier to transport.

I do most of my edits and preset creation on Axe Edit anyway, and its built into our show laptop, and I hardly ever use the screen on either the 2 or 3, and having a 3U unit is not ideal in my particular setup.

Would anyone else like to have something like this, or am I alone?

I actually love this idea..... this is what the Axe IV should be! Twice as powerful as the III, but no onboard UI to complain about. Either use a PC with Axe Edit, or wireless to the new Axe Edit app for iPad.....biggrin.gif

Hell yeah.....as long as it was in a 1U rack with no onboard UI....the slogan could be...The Axe IV...nothing but TONE......View attachment 135581
They could put it in this enclosure:
Clive Barker Puzzle GIF by Arrow Video

If USB and wireless don't work... ;)

USB not working is already a prevalent issue with current Fractal devices.

Maybe have an Ethernet connection as a failsafe? A separate serial connection, kinda like what old school Cisco routers have?

Maybe have an Ethernet connection as a failsafe? A separate serial connection, kinda like what old school Cisco routers have?
Maybe... I don't know, just mentioned the reason I am not interested.

But I'm sure they could come up with some method if this type of unit was developed.

I guess we will see - it's not the first time it's been suggested/requested.

The chances of both failing at the same time is unlikely.......Yes, there are a million "what ifs"...

just like, what if your Fractal freezes up.....not likely, but it happens. There are risks with everything.

If USB and wireless don't work... ;)

USB not working is already a prevalent issue with current Fractal devices.
Nah, the current problem is USB being broken by careless usage (run a USB extension folks!), aside from the missing spec'd current limiting resistor on the FM3 at minimum, which has no bearing on running the Editor, it should be no problem as a backup to Wireless. I've used the Axe FX professionally since the Ultra, and can count on two hands the number of times I've actually used the front panel LOL!

My tones are carefully dialed in via the Editor first, as are my IEM's, so FOH takes care of any minor changes needed per venue (though typically I used tube preamps with the Ultra and AFX2 which had front panel controls, and currently run a UA OX Stomp with the FM3 which has top panel controls, so a Axe without a front panel isn't a stretch for me (though 1U is likely pushing it cooling-wise, maybe 2U?).

Last edited:
Nah, the current problem is USB being broken by careless usage (run a USB extension folks!)

Not only that, but I have a sneaking suspicion that people who break it, are more than likely either plugging/unplugging their USB connection too much and its gonna wear the port down.

Also, you're more than likely to break the cable LONG before you break the port.

so a Axe without a front panel isn't a stretch for me (though 1U is likely pushing it cooling-wise, maybe 2U?).

Maybe give it some beefier fans, and some better ports on the side for better cooling? You can play a LOT with positive and negative pressure mounted fans and get some serious airflow in the case. Might be a little noisier, but in a live rack, who cares?

I’m certain Fractal would do a better job of future proofing the communications protocol in such a device than others have done with the other solid-state paperweights/doorstops I’ve encountered in over four decades of programming, but it certainly sounds like a joyless design project to undertake. :)

Last edited:
It's pretty common these days for electronic devices to rely on a phone/tablet app for the UI. There's just no way a front panel UI can compete with a well-designed app running on an OS like iOS or Android. The app would connect through either bluetooth or usb. If there's a problem with usb connectivity with Fractal devices, that should probably be fixed regardless of whether it's needed for an app or not. A 1U device could still have some knobs and meters so you have control over common things like output level without the app. Also a small display and control knob for limited editing in an emergency when you don't have a mobile device.

IMHO, I can't see anybody spending much effort on front panel UI's in the next generation of modelers. That effort would be better spent on developing a mobile app.

Even though I can see the advantages of a device using less rack space, it wouldn't be for me. For me any device in my guitar rig must be configurable easily without relying on computers/laptops/tablets. That just opens a can of worms without any need.
I'd appreciate it if a future AxeFx featured wifi and an AxeEdit-like interface that can be accessed with any web browser, be it on a smartphone, tablet or pc. But not at the expense of a physical screen, knobs and buttons! For me the hardware UI always has precedence over any virtual crap.

Back
Top Bottom