Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 17.00 Public Beta

I have a quick stupid question .don’t want to open a topic for that …
If your chain is full mono , that’s not a problem to go just with one xlr or one jack in the mixing desk ? No need to put L and R we are ok ?
The sound is just a little louder when I put 2 jacks / xlr but that’s all . This is something since the beginning that I wonder …
If you are full mono, one signal to the desk is fine. ;)

I have a quick stupid question .don’t want to open a topic for that …
If your chain is full mono , that’s not a problem to go just with one xlr or one jack in the mixing desk ? No need to put L and R we are ok ?
The sound is just a little louder when I put 2 jacks / xlr but that’s all . This is something since the beginning that I wonder …

Yes. If everything is mono or panned center, then the signal in the Left and Right channels is basically identical. The exceptions are blocks that utilize a Stereo Spread parameter like the Reverb block. Although it processes the input in mono, the reverb's echo voices are panned throughout the stereo field based on the setting of the Stereo Spread parameter, so the wet portion of the Reverb block output will be slightly different between the left and right channels if Stereo Spread is set above or below zero. If you want a completely mono reverb sound, set Stereo Spread to zero. It usually makes the reverb sound more dense in a mono output as all of the echo voices are mixed together instead of being spread out.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone used the new cab feature yet? I have seen a lot of people up in arms about this but haven't seen a good example as to why. I thought the examples Cliff gave sounded cool but to see this amount of "what about me", I would like to see it in application....not doubting its a big deal, but maybe not a big enough deal to start selling off gear or feeling left out about.

The only way to get the new format IRs on the device at the moment is to record your own Fullres IR. Axe edit can’t load them yet and the new user Fullres IR area is empty. And to make a good Fullres IR you also need a good sounding room which makes them more difficult that just getting Cab IRs.

Sup? ;-)

I know axe-edit isn't updated yet,, but just thought I'd mention (didn't see if anyone else mentioned it) that when clicking the tuner in the current Axe-edit it will show on the screen but don't bring it up on the front panel of the unit.

MOSHON
DAVE

Splitting firmware into multiple current versions is a support nightmare, and an end-user issue as well. I doubt we’ll ever see that, and rarely see it in any other gear.
You may be right, but please remember that on the Axe FX II, there were multiple versions of the firmware released at the same time because of difference in hardware between II, IIXL and IIXL+.
None of the not-FAS staff actually know how much work it would be or not, or whether it would be needed or not.

I can image the case in which 90% of the Mk1 owners want FullRes (as the poll seems to indicate) which represents a vast majority which Cliff referred too in an earlier post, but a few high profile clients needing the full IR library. Then what? That's a decision for the boss and we can all conjecture and guess. But in the end, CC will make the call on this.

Personally, I use about 20 IRs total. So I can easily say goodbye to User bank 2. I am curious to see how this develops.

, but a few high profile clients needing the full IR library. Then what? That's a decision for the boss and we can all conjecture and guess. But in the end, CC will make the call on this.
I would think high profile clients already have the MKII or can certainly afford one. I hope the full res IRs make it to the MK I so I can try them out but there is no way I am going to buy a MK II to try them out. Not going to happen!

Edit: On the other hand, if full res IR's come to the MK I & I really like them & feel I need more than 32 of them, then a MK II becomes a much more justifiable purchase.

Last edited:
You may be right, but please remember that on the Axe FX II, there were multiple versions of the firmware released at the same time because of difference in hardware between II, IIXL and IIXL+.
None of the not-FAS staff actually know how much work it would be or not, or whether it would be needed or not.

I can image the case in which 90% of the Mk1 owners want FullRes (as the poll seems to indicate) which represents a vast majority which Cliff referred too in an earlier post, but a few high profile clients needing the full IR library. Then what? That's a decision for the boss and we can all conjecture and guess. But in the end, CC will make the call on this.

Personally, I use about 20 IRs total. So I can easily say goodbye to User bank 2. I am curious to see how this develops.
Only the developers of FAS can recognize and measure how much effort it takes to implement the ideas.

I can only describe my ideas, I stopped programming in assembler after the Amiga times.

10 years ago with the Scope DSP audio System SDK.

Last edited:

Please let me add a note that further consideration is necessary to determine if we can say "vast majority" of MK1 owners want FullRes based on the poll, as the questions remain in the poll's representativeness - no matter how many polls it would get, the poll cannot cover those who don't read/understand the poll or this forum itself (due to time constraints, language barriers for some international owners, and other whatever reasons), and it cannot assure that the poller's composition reflects actual customer base of MK1 owners.
If FAS needs such figure upon this decision, they would do a more statistically precise user survey, so that the samples would be as per as the composition of actual customer base (by region, by user segment and so on).
I agree that it's up to FAS after all, though.

I have tried the axe in the return of the head and my cab for the first time (wow it’s raining) and I m really impressed how the preamps are great . I understand why many people play with a cab. Sound really like a head . Really impressed.
The differences between the amps are not huge having the same cab and poweramp for them all, everything sound “the same” in a way, but it’s fun .

And once again … the afd sound completely off compared to all the others heads . I say this since the beginning but no way this head sound like this . Testing only the preamp with the cab is another proof.

If fractal can check this amp one day 🥰.
hats down for your product . Simulation is clearly in another planet with the axe
finally you did this Mud ! happy, for you :)

now you know this piece of gear is at least as good as the real deal, but IMHO it can be tweaked to sound so much better, like your most idealized amp in your head.

and heey, about that dizzy thing, I did some more testing recently and silver v2 is that real vh4 ch3, so all is OK 👌 :D

The differences between the amps are not huge having the same cab and poweramp for them all, everything sound “the same” in a way, but it’s fun .

I wonder if it would be more pronounced of a difference if you dialed in the speaker impedance curve to match your cabinet. You may already have done that, but that is such an unbelievably powerful page of parameters, it feels like you'd miss so much without it really tweaked to your cab.

I wonder if it would be more pronounced of a difference if you dialed in the speaker impedance curve to match your cabinet. You may already have done that, but that is such an unbelievably powerful page of parameters, it feels like you'd miss so much without it really tweaked to your cab.
AFAIK, when paired with real cab, people usually tend to favor to set speaker impendance curve to resistive load, so the sound is not overhyped in highs and lows.

AFAIK, when paired with real cab, people usually tend to favor to set speaker impendance curve to resistive load, so the sound is not overhyped in highs and lows.
Nope, it depends on the type of power amp you're using.
With a tube power amp it's probably better to use resistive load, with a solid state one you'd likely want the impedance curve of your cab instead.

Back
Top Bottom