Metallica Meltdown

That's the problem when you get older unfortunately, you loose the anger in your belly. Heavy metal is a young mans sport. Its hard to be angry when you have kids and a 401k. When you hit your forties things just change. I apreciate heavy metal, I have met a bunch of them living in Arizona, but the older they got the nicer they got, its not unusual.

If you have heard the phrase resting on your Laurels, this is it in a nutshell.

To me the Axe's did their job, sounded great, as always.

Nothing good about that performance at all. The piano idea was horrible. Sounded like two different tunes were going at the same time. The mix & tones weren't good either.

Fractal should not point to this as a selling point to the Axe-Fx II. Just let it die a natural death.
Not the fault of the Axe II of course, but when something is a trainwreck everything associated with it takes a hit.

In the immortal words of Hetfield "This was total Shit-Tuh"

To me, the tones from last night sound very similar to their live tones from the last few years. Whether that's good or bad is obviously subjective, but I think Metallica's goal was achieved as they were able to replicate that with the Axe Fx. Overall, I'd call that quite a success for our little clique.

I sorted of enjoyed that.. And Justice was the first trash album I bought..

I think what's not sitting right on people's ears is the piano parts where it gets out of control harmonically.. The limited chord choices (power chords mainly), would make it difficult to be adventurous with on a piano, and you easily create lots of dissonance...

But great to hear the lads still giving it loads. And using Fractals too..

I love them. I dont care what they do.
They have had such a huge Impact on my life, I will be a fan forever.
There we go, it's out in the open.

i have far more problems with who ever was mixing the sound then anything...
TGP is laying into the Axe over this.. but I agree... the mix was not great, but either I'm getting old (and deaf) but I also didn't notice much out of tune.. just chorus effect on clean guitar, etc.
I'm not a fan of theirs (nor hater) but I didn't hear much wrong with it... others MMV.

The Axe-Fx units performed well I think. It's the Metallica sound after all, whether one likes it or not (I don't).

Mr Hammett's performance ... hmm ... below par, IMHO. Not keeping rhythm, hitting wrong strings (at 1:38 for ex.), and indeed, that vibrato making it sound out of tune...

In all honesty, that sounded dreadful. Not so much the tones, they were OK, typical Metallica, but the playing and vocals were out. I've always thought of them as more of a studio band than a live act.

Its a show and experiment. About the performance, i feel they were exited and stressed, this kind of
an huge tv event is also not usual for them. Happens once in a while.

But i think they have a serious mixing/sound problem on tv/video stuff.
Last act of dave grohl, nine inch etc. was also mixed bad...and there were other acts with great sound.
I think it makes a huge difference.

There's no denying Metallica for their accomplishments, but when you play without distortion effects on a clean part,your slop will smack you in the face!I'm a fan and have nothing against Mr. Hammett,but he has been hiding behind distortion and wah for years.

scottburrow is spot on.I hate to admit it,something does happen to you in your forties.might be time to bow out gracefully.

Some thoughts after watching this:
-The AF2 sounds great tonally, but the mix is a jumbled mess.
-Lang Lang has serious chops fitting a piano part in that song.
-Lars's snare sounds like someone smacking a wet ass, and not in a good way, but at least his bass drums don't sound like "clicks' with no resonance anymore.
-Trujillo's bass was lost in the mix for half the song.
-Kirk and James on guitar didn't sound bad, but they weren't tight.
-James was a little pitchy on vox and lacked passion.
-Whoever did the mix should be ashamed of that jumbled mess of frequencies with no separation.

It's a shame really that such a good band had such an off night.

Some thoughts after watching this:
-The AF2 sounds great tonally, but the mix is a jumbled mess.
-Lang Lang has serious chops fitting a piano part in that song.
-Lars's snare sounds like someone smacking a wet ass, and not in a good way, but at least his bass drums don't sound like "clicks' with no resonance anymore.
-Trujillo's bass was lost in the mix for half the song.
-Kirk and James on guitar didn't sound bad, but they weren't tight.
-James was a little pitchy on vox and lacked passion.
-Whoever did the mix should be ashamed of that jumbled mess of frequencies with no separation.

It's a shame really that such a good band had such an off night.

except for the piano part... this sounds like any metallica live performance that wasn't fixed in post.

how many times have they played these songs? are they into the 100,000s yet? how do you find passion after doing something 100,000 times? kirk has always sounded like that. james always sings like that. lars always plays like that. what bass ever?

i love metallica. there music defined so many moments in my life and i have utmost respect for all the members and what they've worked to achieve and build in the music industry.

but they always sound like that live.

Back
Top Bottom