Metallica Meltdown

The mix is awful and the piano just doesn't fit. Not a great performance at all. However, the guitar tone is excellent; it is the best thing going here.

So is this a Henry's Asphalt or plain hot tar being used with all of these feathers?

He with no sin............ If you could do it better you would be up there getting the tar and feathers instead of Metallica

i love metallica. there music defined so many moments in my life and i have utmost respect for all the members and what they've worked to achieve and build in the music industry.

but they always sound like that live.

IDK, I saw them both on the And Justice For All tour and a couple of times on the Black (Wherever I May Roam) Tour. I saw them both at the Meadowlands Arena (Brendan Byrne Arena) and Nassau Colliseum.

To me they sounded tighter with a lot more definition of the instruments when I saw them live years ago. True, it could have been part of the emotional experience of going to a live show, the psychological phenomenon where good experiences get better in retrospect, or the fact that I wear ear plugs to lessen the pounding my ears take by sheer concert volume, or where I sat in each venue. I always get tickets by the mixing desk to try and replicate the same experience the FOH engineer is having in the venue.

Regarding the passion, if a band can't muster it up for every performance, then it is kind of a shame to fleece the paying fans for whom this particular performance may be the only time they experience the band live. If it is hard to muster up the passion, play less often live to gain back the hunger. They are out on the road so much, I would think that burnout would be a problem.

I know everyone has to make a living, but it decreases the brand value and eventually the fan base if a band phones it in.

In the immortal words of Charlie Sheen, "I've got your money. So, be quiet and enjoy the show!"

What does Metallica care what we think?

Yep, sad to say shortly after this things slipped away........

That's so true. If you compare their performances in the present day against the late 80s, the older performances were superior in terms of playing the right notes, in the right time with accurate intonation. What I don't understand is why they don't ever rehearse more and turn in a better performance.

Can they not hear the drop in quality, or have they stopped caring?

i love metallica. there music defined so many moments in my life and i have utmost respect for all the members and what they've worked to achieve and build in the music industry.

but they always sound like that live.

sorry, but no they haven't always sounded like that....not sure if you've seen them live in the late 80's / early 90's....(see Seattle '89 video) but they are FAR worse live these days then they ever have been.

It makes me remember the first time ever there was a metal category at the Grammys, Metallica were nominated for And justice for all, and Jethro tull won....

Actually, the Grammy voters thought they voted for the most metal act. Ian Anderson plays a flute that is made almost entirely of metal!

They still don't understand what they did wrong.

sorry, but no they haven't always sounded like that....not sure if you've seen them live in the late 80's / early 90's....(see Seattle '89 video) but they are FAR worse live these days then they ever have been.

Agreed.

Kirks solos were a lot tighter and true to the song back then. James vocals contained less yodelling and Lars played his drum parts like the album. I hear battery recently and I feel he cheated us on his fills and kick work. Normally I wouldnt recognize something like this but a year ago I picked up an Alessis drum kit and decided to slow down the battery drum stem, notate it and learn how to play it. I find it very difficult and for those trolls who say Lars is a crappy drummer then they should really take a look at what he did in the 80s.

Did anyone else find Kirks intro/clean sound was very mid heavy compared to his usual tone?

I know when my tone is not what I expect and am used to I don't play as well.

rock concert quality - often depends on how much they drank / what drugs they did pre-show. Well, based on all the rockstar autobiographies I have read, seems like an obvious candidate.

EDIT: in general! Not suggesting anything specific in this case.

Back
Top Bottom