Metallica Meltdown

Xrocker

Fractal Fanatic
Omg. That was a near train wreck on the Grammys! Kirks guitar was so terribly out of tune. There is probably an unemployed guitar tech in Hollywood tonight. Maybe they just couldn't hear.

I was so looking forward to the AxeFx tones but the band never jelled at all. So disappointed.

One was a steaming pile of two.

They mentioned Metallica playing One on the Grammy's before. Raise your hand if you remember the other time. It sucked then too. Some things never change.

Omg. That was a near train wreck on the Grammys! Kirks guitar was so terribly out of tune. There is probably an unemployed guitar tech in Hollywood tonight. Maybe they just couldn't hear.

I was so looking forward to the AxeFx tones but the band never jelled at all. So disappointed.

Listen carefully to Kirks solos live!
It has nothing to do with the tuning of the guitar!

The guitar was in tune. You can tell that by his harmonies with James. It's the vibrato..... ugh.

I thought the rest was quite good though!

Train Wreck????... I'll agree the mix we got wasn't that great...... and OMG Kirk didn't play it 100% perfectly.... What's worse, This is another HUGE night for Fractal Audio, yet it seems all anyone is interested in, is pointing out technical imperfections in a guys playing and again complaining about anything and everything as usual...

I've listened to the you-tube HD version now 6 times, and wow, the piano parts are really well written, you just need to train your hears to hear the mix better by listening a few times. The guitars, they are playing the parts the same way they've played them live for the last 20 years. Yes it sounds like Lang Lang made a mistake and got on timiing with the delay of James guitar at first, but he corrected it very quickly and professionally. I'm really impressed after a couple listens.

Technically they all made lots of little mistakes if you are judging how "perfectly" they played, but why is this such a big deal? See how much fun they are having? You think they really care what any of us think? The venue loved it, they owned the stage, mistakes were minimal and it sounded great. Hetfield is so tight on his own riffs, and no one even mentions how well Rob played it you know why? He played it perfectly but also put his own little parts in there and it kicked ass..... Successful gig IMO. They just played the grammy's.... again".... with Axe FX II's! Holy Shitballs! but no..... lets focus on what they didn't do right.... that's all the internet is all about these days :(

/rant off.. sorry if I offended anyone, just bugs me all the negativity.

Last edited:
Yeah, Forums are not a good place to visit if you don't like to read peoples opinions. Anywho, it really wasn't a good performance. And the piano didn't add anything to the song. It was like a radio playing two different songs. Oh well, chalk up another bad idea from Metallica.

Yeah, Forums are not a good place to visit if you don't like to read peoples opinions. Anywho, it really wasn't a good performance. And the piano didn't add anything to the song. It was like a radio playing two different songs. Oh well, chalk up another bad idea from Metallica.

More like the internet isn't a good place to visit if you don't like dealing with people that are obsessed with treating it like it's nothing more than a soapbox for expounding negativity.

Train Wreck????... I'll agree the mix we got wasn't that great...... and OMG Kirk didn't play it 100% perfectly.... What's worse, This is another HUGE night for Fractal Audio, yet it seems all anyone is interested in, is pointing out technical imperfections in a guys playing and again complaining about anything and everything as usual...

I've listened to the you-tube HD version now 6 times, and wow, the piano parts are really well written, you just need to train your hears to hear the mix better by listening a few times. The guitars, they are playing the parts the same way they've played them live for the last 20 years. Yes it sounds like Lang Lang made a mistake and got on timiing with the delay of James guitar at first, but he corrected it very quickly and professionally. I'm really impressed after a couple listens.

Technically they all made lots of little mistakes if you are judging how "perfectly" they played, but why is this such a big deal? See how much fun they are having? You think they really care what any of us think? The venue loved it, they owned the stage, mistakes were minimal and it sounded great. Hetfield is so tight on his own riffs, and no one even mentions how well Rob played it you know why? He played it perfectly but also put his own little parts in there and it kicked ass..... Successful gig IMO. They just played the grammy's.... again".... with Axe FX II's! Holy Shitballs! but no..... lets focus on what they didn't do right.... that's all the internet is all about these days :(

/rant off.. sorry if I offended anyone, just bugs me all the negativity.

I know what you mean, dude. I think I'm just disappointed because of what Kirk has written in the past. Like, he wrote The Unforgiven solos! He wrote, The God That Failed, Struggle Within, Fade To Black.... maaaaaaaaan that's some talent right there. I loved their performance, and Kirks end solo I thought was great!

I think the main point is in bold though. What a f*&%(£n' coup for FAS, huh? :D:D:D

Perhaps you should change the title to... "MY Metallica Meltdown"....

Some of you guys are taking this way out of proportion, its was ok, i have far more problems with who ever was mixing the sound then anything...

The Axe FX could have shined better if there was a better mix, but that was the biggest issue in that performance, not the slightly out of tune issue..

IMO.

I thought it was a disappointing mix too.

Overall the acts preceding them sounded killer on my home theater system. So I was really looking forward to hearing Metallica.

It sounded over compressed to me. That caused it to lack impact and not sound very glued together.

Even the drums were noticeably less impact than other acts, the ones playing real drums :), I blame the mix not the AxeFx though.

The out of tune stuff sounded like maybe the efx mix of a chorus was too prominent?

Watched the YouTube clip - it sounded pretty good to my ears, so I'm in the minority. I thought the addition of the piano was brilliant. The piano solo in the middle of the song added a really cool air of tension & suspense.

Watched the YouTube clip - it sounded pretty good to my ears, so I'm in the minority. I thought the addition of the piano was brilliant. The piano solo in the middle of the song added a really cool air of tension & suspense.

On live TV it stood out as being not as good as most of the other acts to my ears.

I thought the piano thing was okay too. A lot of hellacious chops no doubt.

Maybe Kirk upgraded the new firmware just before going on - LOL

It's a rough night when a piano player out-rocks Metallica. He was a monster.

The people engineering production and patches for that performance needed to understand the difference in dynamics of a guitar preset designed to fit perfectly into a production mix, and the incredible dynamic power of a massive concert grand piano that hasn't been reigned into those same confines. The piano will out-dynamic the guitars in a big way, especially if you keep the piano player highlighted in the mix.

Back
Top Bottom