Who Wants to Test Some New Firmware? (12.03 Beta 5 UPDATE)

So when does the public Beta become a release? I mean does one wait until no more issues are reported, makes sense just asking as I don't know.

When it's ready!

Seriously, if past history serves as an example, the major stuff is done, but there may be peripheral things that need to be completed. Axe-Edit, updated presets, and maybe an extra amp/drive/FX or 2.

Two weeks! (Money Pit style...)

When it's ready!

Seriously, if past history serves as an example, the major stuff is done, but there may be peripheral things that need to be completed. Axe-Edit, updated presets, and maybe an extra amp/drive/FX or 2.

Two weeks! (Money Pit style...)

:lol You sound like a parakeet... Right on, just waiting for the complete version to drop.

Just curious. Why does everyone want an official release of firmware when the beta kicks maximum ass? Maybe just me, but the beta version always works better for me than the actual firmware.

Just curious. Why does everyone want an official release of firmware when the beta kicks maximum ass? Maybe just me, but the beta version always works better for me than the actual firmware.

I've beta tested computer software in the past, and forgive me, but I don't like being a beta tester. I am waiting for the official release before trying some of the new presets people have been creating using the beta. That's just me. I'm kinda anal that way.

i don't understand that at all :)

Yeah, I don't either. I'm hoping this latest round of updates starts a new trend. :)

I think it started back with firmware 7 or 9 (I forget which one). I had great tone with the beta and for some reason when I updated to the actual firmware, it got screwed up somewhere.

To be honest, I think it is something with the USB connection, etc. while updating firmware. I think sometimes it just hiccups.

Changed “Copy Out1 to Out2” option to “Output 2 Echo”. Choices are “None”, “Output 1”, and “Input 1”. This allows echoing the main input to Output 2 for reamping use (thereby bypassing the Noise Gate). Note that the echo feature will not function when an FX Loop block is present in a preset as the FX Loop has priority.

Added Bright and Sat switches to Advanced menu in Amp block. This allows connecting a Modifier to these switches for various uses, i.e. engaging via a foot controller.

Added Dump feature to IR Capture utility. After an IR has been captured pressing this button will dump a full, unprocessed, 8K sample IR to the USB port.

Greatly improved “cathode squish modeling” for cathode biased power amp models. This improves the feel for affected amp types, i.e. Class-A, Mr Z, etc. Two new parameters have been added which allow the user to alter the pertinent variables: Cathode Squish and Squish Time. Cathode Squish sets the amount of bias shift due to cathode voltage rise and Squish Time sets the time constant of the cathode network. These parameters are set to default values upon selection of an amp type. Setting Cathode Squish to zero defeats the cathode squish modeling.

Preamp modeling now uses screen voltage from power amp in calculations rather than operating independently. This improves feel as preamp voltage will drop with power amp sag. The effect is more noticeable as Supply Sag is increased. Note that preamp sag has a long time constant and, as such, the initial pick attack is relatively unaffected while sustained sounds undergo compression. This results in a “chewier” sensation.

Improved single-ended power amp modeling.

Added “Mr Z MZ-8” amp model based on a Dr. Z MAZ-8.

Added “Car Roamer” amp model based on a Carr Rambler.

Added “USA Sub Blues” amp model based on a Mesa Subway Blues.

Added "Wrecker Lvrpool" amp model based on a Trainwreck Liverpool.

Added “Citrus Terrier” amp model based on an Orange Tiny Terror. Note that the actual amp has no tone stack and a single tone control. The tone control is actually a high cut control in the power amp and is therefore replicated by the Hi Cut parameter. The Hi Cut set fully CCW is equivalent to the amp’s tone knob fully CW. The model uses a neutral tone stack. Set T/M/B to noon for authentic sounds or adjust to taste.

Added “Citrus A30” amp models based on an Orange AD30HTC.

Added “Div/13 FT37” amp models based on a Divided by 13 FTR 37. The “Lo” model has the Gain Boost off, whilst the “Hi” model has it on.

Added “Matchbox D-30” amp model based on a Matchless DC-30.

Improved 5150-based models by refining sat switch circuit behavior. In a 5150-based amp the hard clipping is done by a tube stage prior to the cathode follower. As such this stage is subject to power supply sag. Normal hard clipping “sat” circuits are implemented with diodes and not subject to supply sag. This results in these amp models having a “squishier” feel (see preamp compression above).

Added Key parameter to Pitch block Custom Shifter. This applies to both scales and transposes the scales to the desired key. For example, if a Custom Scale is configured such that its root is A and you want to play in the key of G you would simply set Key to ‘G’. Internally the Axe-Fx II assumes all Custom Scales have a root of A so setting Key to ‘A’ will do no transposition. Existing presets may need to have the Key reset to ‘A’ to perform as intended.

Added a Barber Pole Phaser type to the Phaser block. This mode creates a phaser that appears to always move in the same direction. Note that the Freq and Tempo parameters are not used in this mode. Also note that Mix should be set to 100% for normal operation whereas 50% is typical in the other modes. This effect works best at slow rates and when placed near the end of a signal chain.

Added Start Phase parameter to Tremolo/Panner block. This parameter selects the starting LFO phase when engaging the block.

Added “Dimension” parameter to Chorus block. This engages a processing algorithm that simulates the Roland SDD-320 Dimension D chorus unit. This parameter has four settings:
Off: algorithm is disengaged.
Low: A neutral version of the Dimension D with no frequency coloration.
Med: Classic Dimension D processing buttons 1-3.
High: Classic Dimension D processing button 4.
Added “Dimension” type to Chorus block based on a Roland Dimension D. This type utilizes the “Dimension Mode” parameter described above. Note that the Dimension D had fixed rate and depth for each of the four modes. In modes 1 and 2 the rate is 0.25 Hz. In modes 3 & 4 the rate is 0.5 Hz. The Axe-Fx II does not set the rate and depth giving vastly more flexibility. Set the Rate as described for classic Dimension D sound or adjust to taste. Adjust Depth as desired.

Added “Mono” tracking mode to Pitch block Fixed and Whammy types. The Pitch Track parameter now selects “Off”, “Poly”, and “Mono”. Poly tracking works best for shifting chords and/or lower amounts of shift. Mono tracking works best for shifting single notes and/or larger shift amounts.

Delay and Multi-Delay blocks feedback parameters now have a range of -100% to 100%. This allows interesting effects via out-of-phase feedback.

Fixed certain amp models popping when switching to/from using X/Y.

Fixed wrong input variable lowpass frequency on Brit Brown

Could I ask one of you kind people to copy and paste the release notes ?

Thx !

Code:
Changed “Copy Out1 to Out2” option to “Output 2 Echo”. Choices are “None”, “Output 1”, and “Input 1”. This allows echoing the main input to Output 2 for reamping use (thereby bypassing the Noise Gate). Note that the echo feature will not function when an FX Loop block is present in a preset as the FX Loop has priority.
Added Bright and Sat switches to Advanced menu in Amp block. This allows connecting a Modifier to these switches for various uses, i.e. engaging via a foot controller.

Added Dump feature to IR Capture utility. After an IR has been captured pressing this button will dump a full, unprocessed, 8K sample IR to the USB port.
Greatly improved “cathode squish modeling” for cathode biased power amp models. This improves the feel for affected amp types, i.e. Class-A, Mr Z, etc. Two new parameters have been added which allow the user to alter the pertinent variables: Cathode Squish and Squish Time. Cathode Squish sets the amount of bias shift due to cathode voltage rise and Squish Time sets the time constant of the cathode network. These parameters are set to default values upon selection of an amp type. Setting Cathode Squish to zero defeats the cathode squish modeling.

Preamp modeling now uses screen voltage from power amp in calculations rather than operating independently. This improves feel as preamp voltage will drop with power amp sag. The effect is more noticeable as Supply Sag is increased. Note that preamp sag has a long time constant and, as such, the initial pick attack is relatively unaffected while sustained sounds undergo compression. This results in a “chewier” sensation.

Improved single-ended power amp modeling.

Added “Mr Z MZ-8” amp model based on a Dr. Z MAZ-8.

Added “Car Roamer” amp model based on a Carr Rambler.

Added “USA Sub Blues” amp model based on a Mesa Subway Blues. Added "Wrecker Lvrpool" amp model based on a Trainwreck Liverpool.

Added “Citrus Terrier” amp model based on an Orange Tiny Terror. Note that the actual amp has no tone stack and a single tone control. The tone control is actually a high cut control in the power amp and is therefore replicated by the Hi Cut parameter. The Hi Cut set fully CCW is equivalent to the amp’s tone knob fully CW. The model uses a neutral tone stack. Set T/M/B to noon for authentic sounds or adjust to taste.

Added “Citrus A30” amp models based on an Orange AD30HTC.

Added “Div/13 FT37” amp models based on a Divided by 13 FTR 37. The “Lo” model has the Gain Boost off, whilst the “Hi” model has it on.

Added “Matchbox D-30” amp model based on a Matchless DC-30.

Improved 5150-based models by refining sat switch circuit behavior. In a 5150- based amp the hard clipping is done by a tube stage prior to the cathode follower. As such this stage is subject to power supply sag. Normal hard clipping “sat” circuits are implemented with diodes and not subject to supply sag. This results in these amp models having a “squishier” feel (see preamp compression above).

Added Key parameter to Pitch block Custom Shifter. This applies to both scales and transposes the scales to the desired key. For example, if a Custom Scale is configured such that its root is A and you want to play in the key of G you would simply set Key to ‘G’. Internally the Axe-Fx II assumes all Custom Scales have a root of A so setting Key to ‘A’ will do no transposition. Existing presets may need to have the Key reset to ‘A’ to perform as intended.

Added a Barber Pole Phaser type to the Phaser block. This mode creates a phaser that appears to always move in the same direction. Note that the Freq and Tempo parameters are not used in this mode. Also note that Mix should be set to 100% for normal operation whereas 50% is typical in the other modes. This effect works best at slow rates and when placed near the end of a signal chain.

Added Start Phase parameter to Tremolo/Panner block. This parameter selects the starting LFO phase when engaging the block.

Added “Dimension” parameter to Chorus block. This engages a processing algorithm that simulates the Roland SDD-320 Dimension D chorus unit. This parameter has four settings:
Off: algorithm is disengaged.
Low: A neutral version of the Dimension D with no frequency coloration. Med: Classic Dimension D processing buttons 1-3.
High: Classic Dimension D processing button 4.

Added “Dimension” type to Chorus block based on a Roland Dimension D. This type utilizes the “Dimension Mode” parameter described above. Note that the Dimension D had fixed rate and depth for each of the four modes. In modes 1 and 2therateis0.25Hz. Inmodes3&4therateis0.5Hz. TheAxe-FxIIdoes not set the rate and depth giving vastly more flexibility. Set the Rate as described for classic Dimension D sound or adjust to taste. Adjust Depth as desired.

Added “Mono” tracking mode to Pitch block Fixed and Whammy types. The Pitch Track parameter now selects “Off”, “Poly”, and “Mono”. Poly tracking works best
for shifting chords and/or lower amounts of shift. Mono tracking shifting single notes and/or larger shift amounts.

Delay and Multi-Delay blocks feedback parameters now have a range of -100% to 100%. This allows interesting effects via out-of-phase feedback.

Fixed certain amp models popping when switching to/from using X/Y.

Fixed wrong input variable lowpass frequency on Brit Brown model.

Fixed wrong MIMIC data assigned to Citrus RV50 model.

Fixed user cab names not updating when exporting Tone Match or capturing IRs.

Added protection against invalid Modifier data. This can help prevent crashes due to bad preset data.

Back
Top Bottom