Electronic Cigarettes. Are they bad for you?

That's true, but it is a consequence of misinformation and "propaganda" to ban everything that looks like cigarettes and smoking, not because it is proven to be dangerous.

My Wife smokes E cigarettes now after smoking regular ciggs for many years.
I look at them like near beer!

Near beer-
"you drink and drink but dont get drunk!"

E Cigs-
"You puff and puff but don't get the nicotine buzz"

FWIW, I smoked for 12 yrs. HARDEST thing I ever did, but I quit, cold turkey. I've NEVER felt better in my life. No dis to anyone who smokes, seriously, but if U can, quite it ALL, for you & yours sakes......

E Cigs-
"You puff and puff but don't get the nicotine buzz"
The nicotine buzz (or satisfaction of cravings, depending on the dose) is still there. That's why it's so easy for smokers to switch over.

That's true, but it is a consequence of misinformation and "propaganda" to ban everything that looks like cigarettes and smoking, not because it is proven to be dangerous.

Sorry, I don't consider it just "propaganda". I know it's only a water vapor with a few other chemicals. My main concern is the nicotine. I am an ex smoker of many years and I don't want to have to inhale nicotine in any form ever again. Why don't I have that right? I just want clean air to smoke, is that okay?

As far as the arguments about colds and cooking is concerned...well, if you are going around purposefully sneezing and coughing in public, I would not think that is cool either. Cooking is not dangerous. Unless you are cooking meth because you are Breaking Bad.

Don't fear the nicotine ( ;-) ). There's virtually no nicotine in the exhaled air. And do yourself a favor (as you're an ex-smoker) and research a bit about the newer studies about the danger of nicotine. You might be surprised.
I have some links in German, but there should be English documents, too.

I quit smoking cold turkey in 1998 so I've never tried an e-cig but I will say that every time I see someone with an e-cig they look severely retarded to me. :roll

They remind me of those little plastic cigs we had as children with a built in ballpoint pen.

You've got the chronology backwards.

Wiki has a lot of interesting info - most of which is functionally obsolete, as pop culture has obliterated any but the sexual connotation. In essence, it's a clusterfuck, and an unsavory phenomenon. ((Vernacular - entertainment - usage is always encouraged, though.))

This is somewhat encouraging:

The British gay rights activist Peter Tatchell has argued that the term gay is merely a cultural expression which reflects the current status of homosexuality within a given society, and claiming that "Queer, gay, homosexual ... in the long view, they are all just temporary identities. One day, we will not need them at all

...although I prefer a more neutral method: one has a [sex], and then there's the kind of experience they'd like to have - which is much better served by.....and far more linguistically interesting and enjoyable within....description.

Yes, let's build up man from the ground up!

'Human' is a complicated configuration, but I think starting from scratch is not necessary.

I quit smoking cold turkey in 1998 so I've never tried an e-cig but I will say that every time I see someone with an e-cig they look severely retarded to me. :roll

They remind me of those little plastic cigs we had as children with a built in ballpoint pen.

Actually, when I was in high school, I had the idea of a smokeless device that was excited by mere inhalation. And the substance wasn't tobacco (or dope!). It was a kind of space-age idea.

Last edited:
The British gay rights activist Peter Tatchell has argued that the term gay is merely a cultural expression which reflects the current status of homosexuality within a given society, and claiming that "Queer, gay, homosexual ... in the long view, they are all just temporary identities. One day, we will not need them at all
Sounds to me like the wishful rambling dreams of a gay man who has a very weak hold on reality, and instead lives in a world of hopes and dreams.

Using the word "gay" is in my book simply immature, condescending and discriminatory.
Calling it slang really changes nothing....

One could say that it is a consequence of misinformation and "propaganda" to selectively accept (or reject) the results of research that supports (or refutes) the position that most benefits you, no matter which side you are on.

There is currently no regulation whatsoever regarding the content of vapor cartridges. They can contain anything. Your assumption that all of them, no matter who makes them, contain nothing of any consequence to anyone's health is, in my opinion, short-sighted. If I look for articles stating that they are harmless, I will find them. If I look for articles stating that they are harmful, I will find them. The most reputable articles, to me, are the ones that state that insufficient study has been done to determine if any of the huge variety of products available are potentially harmful, or not.

I believe that vapor manufacturers should be held to a standard for the content and quality of the cartridges they produce. If that is accomplished, and if it can be proven that any product that meets this standard is not harmful, then the issue of unrestricted public use can be debated.

I would be thrilled if such a scenario became reality. I have to work in smoke three times a week. No one would be more pleased than I if each and every smoker at my gigs would switch to a vaporizer that has been proven harmless. This is my last entry on this subject. This is a topic that can be argued in circles with no agreement. The OP asked if e-cigs are bad for you. From what I have read, the answer is: There is conflicting research and no consensus.

From what I have read, the answer is: There is conflicting research and no consensus.
While it's too early to reap any benefits from long-term studies, there most significant safety unknown is the flavorings. Nicotine is a known quantity. The fluids used, minus the flavorings and nicotine, have been used for years as a way to deliver asthma medication.

And as you pointed out, the lack of regulation means that any manufacturer can mix in anything they want.

Yes, I can understand the risk of bad substances in liquids. But the "vapor community" is pushing the liquid companies to exactly show their ingredients already. 99% of the liquids contain PG, VG, Water, Nicotine, Flavors. I know EXACTLY what I put in, because I mix myself (many do).
And again: show me ONE study that proves the dangers.
The people that want to put it under medical control argue that there would be a safety benefit. When liquids get mixed by pharma-industry I'm pretty sure they would contain the same as now (if not more substances) and get much more expensive.

Sounds to me like the wishful rambling dreams of a gay man who has a very weak hold on reality, and instead lives in a world of hopes and dreams.

No no.......you're assuming he has any kind of time frame in mind, let alone very near-future. Seems mainly SF authors (and sometimes their readership), and a select bunch of scientitsts, comprehend the human thread of development and 'deep time'.

Using the word "gay" is in my book simply immature, condescending and discriminatory.
Calling it slang really changes nothing....

You can be offended. A psychological, indeed a genetic, limitation.

You can be offended. A psychological, indeed a genetic, limitation.

Im not offended. I just really wonder why people use that word the way they do. And why it is allowed.
I can think of so many other condescending and discriminatory words used towards minorities through out the history.
Using those words would get me banned imidiately. From 99% of all forums on the Internet.
Hopefully this will end the same way.

E-cigs are not bad, they are just useless if you are trying to quit smoking. There's just one tool that can help you quit and it is your brain

Useless?
I quit smoking when I started vaping.

I am now at an average of 2 cigs a day (zero on weekend) since I started vaping, where I used to clock 15-20 a day even when wearing a patch...

So from my perspective, vaping is good and I would have a hard time imagining that it would be worse than taking in all the chemicals added to tobacco cigarettes.

Back
Top Bottom