Electronic Cigarettes. Are they bad for you?

Muzick

Experienced
There's probably a few "traditional" smokers on this forum, so I'd like to hear from your experience.

My Dad has been a long time smoker, and I bought an electronic cigarette in hopes that he might be able benefit from one of these.

So far in my brief time researching these things, no one can point to a health hazard other than; if it gets people to start smoking.

What do you all think? What health hazards have been reported? Is long time nicotine use for your brain/body bad as well?

What about you smokers that have converted? Have you noticed health improvements?

There's probably a few "traditional" smokers on this forum, so I'd like to hear from your experience.

My Dad has been a long time smoker, and I bought an electronic cigarette in hopes that he might be able benefit from one of these.

So far in my brief time researching these things, no one can point to a health hazard other than; if it gets people to start smoking.

What do you all think? What health hazards have been reported? Is long time nicotine use for your brain/body bad as well?

What about you smokers that have converted? Have you noticed health improvements?

To the best of my knowledge, they are completely harmless, however I don't think there's been much study on them.

That being said, the smoking ban in ND includes electronic cigarettes in public places, which I think is the stupidest thing ever.

I am not a smoker and never will be.

Don't they have nicotine in the vapor? Nicotine can't be good for you. Better than inhaling smoke and all the crazy chemicals they put into cigarettes.

I converted almost two years ago. My health improved A LOT. There's a lot of fighting going on in that field, but that's mostly lobbyism, tobacco and pharma. Nicotine MAY be addictive, but newer studies are unclear about it, at least when nicotine is inhaled without burning tobacco. I'd definitely say go for it, but don't use those tiny cigarette-alikes, use at least an EGO-T. There are many forums on the net where you can research all your questions.
BTW: The biggest player in putting vaping down is the WHO and their tobacco control program, they want to kill everything that even remotely looks like smoking, they call it "denormalization"...

I gave up "analog" cigs for "digital" cigs about 3 weeks ago, and still very much a noob. But in that short time, I can definitely feel a healthier difference (breathing, smelling, etc). And the transition was easier than I thought it would be. It also helps that digital cigs can be relatively less expensive than analog cigs (per week, month, etc). And how 'bout some irony... Now that I got this digital gizmo that does so much, it's kind of hard to go back to analog. Sound familiar? :)

If you interested in learning more, a good place to start might be ECF -- E-Cigarette Forum. Lots of devices out there, as well as advice. My 2 cents? Be picky about the e-liquids -- not all are created equal.

Nicotine constricts the arteries which can make things like healing from tendon injuries take longer because there is very little circulation in those places to begin with. I do have a friend who switched and he looks better than he has in years. Not sure if that is part of it or if he did a combination of things, but it can't be worse for you than smoking is.

There is no way Ecig's are as big a killer as tobacco. Make sure your juice is reputable.
Been using them off and on since they came out.
My wife uses them for a year now and she feels SO much better. She hasnt smoked an analog since.

But got to tell ya, I own allot of that kit,

The Blu's are by far the best tasting and convenient, thats important to quit analogs.

99.9% better for you, ps Im an MD. Maybe nicotine raises pulse, blood pressure, but those can be corrected other ways.

Same thing I was told by my MD.

after getting use to it chest felt much better after few days, have to find the right one or they can be harsh or not feel like smoking though. The down side was had only smoked outdoors, these gave me a way to smoke indoors without everything getting ick. Ended up quitting cold turkey earlier in the year ( after 20 years for my little one ) but had a few hardcore smoking friends use them successfully to quit.

2 more cents...

Like most smokers looking to try e-cigs, I was initially drawn towards the form factor of regular cigs (shape, size, etc). But for me, I quickly discovered the performance of such e-cigs was lacking -- very short battery life, limited & muted flavors, etc. It just wasn't doing it for me, and I briefly considered going back to regular cigs.

I then noticed performance e-cigs online, but the larger form factor just seemed too strange to me. That was until I tried one at a local vape shop, and realized they are not as large or clunky as I thought. The form factor is somewhat similar to a luxury pen. And the performance -- what a difference! Much longer battery life and so many great flavors to easily choose from. And some come with useful features such as variable voltage, which lets you adjust the strength to taste (flavor, vapor & throat hit). Conceptually, the experience for me was like going from a 15w Peavy to a 100w Marshall -- complete with EVH's Variac :eagerness:

So my advice for smokers that are seriously interested in trying e-cigs... Cut to the chase and look into a performance e-cig -- preferably one with variable voltage (eGo Twist, Vision Spinner, Innokin iTaste, etc).

Last edited:
Try the different options, I have 6 or 7 ego batterys that died way before they should.
I hate burnt juice, adjustable voltages help,
I refill the Blu with a syringe, w/Johnson creek veg.
I've actually had better luck with the Blu batteries, than other huge voltage batts,
they just taste consistantly better for me
my 2 cents YMMV

Anything chemical you inhale into your lungs are not good for you.
But compared to normal tobaco I am sure they are 100 times "better".
Allthough no more then 50 years ago doctors were on comercials for cigarettes saying it was good for your cough.....
So we might have no idea.

E-cigs..... the gayest thing ever. it's like saying "I didn't have the willpower to actually quit, so look at me with this gay plastic puffer LOL."

My friend had one at a poker game a few years ago and I asked him if he got it to try and quit. He responded, "No. I got it so I could smoke everywhere." I got a good chuckle out of that.

Here's what's known (as far as I know :) ):

No one has anywhere near enough evidence to categorically say that e-cigarettes are safe. That will take long-term studies to find out.

Apart from the nicotine itself, there's nothing in them that's known to be bad for you. There's flavorings, water, and some combination of vegetable glycerin and propylene glycol (the stuff they use in fog machines).

The biggest advantage they have over tobacco is that they have no known carcinogens. The biggest disadvantage, IMO, is that they provide easy, cheap and unobtrusive access to as much nicotine as you can handle. Watch some YouTube e-cig videos, and you'll see people who are clearly jacked on the stuff.

And for what it's worth, in the U.S., gay plastic puffers have been legalized in 37 states. Hetero puffers are openly accepted in all 50, as long as they're not wearing too much plastic. :)

my wife been on for it about a year for many reasons, cost flexability and i dont see they can be worse than the real deal, only time will tell
£7 a day for her smokes or £5 a week for the alternative

im happy to have had the opertunity to order an mfc mk3 with the saving

thanks jules
top wifey!

Back
Top Bottom