Atomic CLR = Sonic bliss !!! In depth review

Status
Not open for further replies.
guitar frfr speakers

I've seen this term use a few times now, and I'm wondering if it's creating confusion.

"FRFR" normally refers to a system capable of reproducing sound over the entire range of human hearing from 20Hz to 20,000Hz (i.e. "Full-Range") without discernible distortion in amplitude or phase (i.e. "Flat-Response"). Page 18 and 19 in the current Axe-FX 2 Owners Manual (ver 10.02) defines FRFR and then refers to PA equipment, in-ear monitors and studio monitors as examples.

pdup, in technical terms what does "guitar frfr" refer to? How does it differ from what Fractal defines in the Axe-FX 2 manual?

Terry.

I don't know of any cabs that will reproduce a full 20-20k.... Even the monitors we normally mix records on only go down to ~40-45hz... And None of them are ever going to be perfectly flat... They have a variance in certain frequencies ( shown on the spec sheet as +/- 2.5db, etc... ) ... I don't think you WANT a cab to faithfully reproduce a 20hz wave... It can have messy results... ;-)

Last edited:
Would somebody mind measuring the total height of the CLR in wedge position, from the floor to the highest point ? Is it 15 3/4" high at that point, or taller ?

Thanks in advance !

I like when a product are reviewed on the basis of what it's intented to do. It's kernel value. I see guitar frfr speakers, being powered or passive, as either a wedge or playing a role as a backline.
And I regard the CLR as a quite different speaker compared to the vast majority that uses coaxial drivers.
Nonetheless I find it very disturbing when implementations include bass-amplification and studio-monitoring. This will lead to limitations in a fair review of the CLR's sole purpose.

This I do not understand completely clearly. The Atomic is a reference capable monitor that can be used for guitar; but it is not limited to nor solely focused on that purpose. It could be a FOH, keyboard, vocal, bass or even a massively overkill version of a studio monitor if you want it to be. The 'sole purpose' of the CLR is to output what is input with accuracy. I've tested it with full range music and test tones; it is a very impressive performer with whatever you put into it. I assure you, it is not for guitarists only. In fact, I'll lay bets once the keyboard monitor crowd becomes aware of this thing, Atomic better really order a whole ****load of them to cover it. Everyone and their brother will want one. My keyboard player said, "You dirty mother****er, letting me use that. I just bought these!" (*He uses EV's).

I don't know of any cabs that will reproduce a full 20-20k.... Even the monitors we normally mix records on only go down to ~40-45hz... And None of them are ever going to be perfectly flat... They have a variance in certain frequencies ( shown on the spec sheet as +/- 2.5db, etc... ) ... I don't think you WANT a cab to faithfully reproduce a 20hz wave... It can have messy results... ;-)

I don't disagree with anything you've said.

The point of my my post was to set a reference by defining "FRFR" as a system capable of accurately reproducing the entire range of our hearing (or as reasonably close to that as possible) and then with that as context, to ask what "guitar FRFR" means?

Terry.

I've seen this term use a few times now, and I'm wondering if it's creating confusion.

"FRFR" normally refers to a system capable of reproducing sound over the entire range of human hearing from 20Hz to 20,000Hz (i.e. "Full-Range") without discernible distortion in amplitude or phase (i.e. "Flat-Response"). Page 18 and 19 in the current Axe-FX 2 Owners Manual (ver 10.02) defines FRFR and then refers to PA equipment, in-ear monitors and studio monitors as examples.

pdup, in technical terms what does "guitar frfr" refer to? How does it differ from what Fractal defines in the Axe-FX 2 manual?

Terry.

"Guitar FRFR" would seem to me to describe the Xitone with Matrix amp - as an example. Higher freqs than a guitar speaker on its own, to allow use of cab sims with the Axe.

The CLR seems to be a reference monitor as its "kernal function" - as pdup might say. But adding no "flavour"... which is great for some, but lacking for others...? Flyingfadr's point about the undesirability of a reference monitor profile being totally flat, or going down to 20Hz is interesting. Flat is what a reference monitor does surely? It doesn't sound great - and that's the point of it... Speakers for listening enjoyment boost mids etc and are not flat. And could a 12 inch speaker reproduce 20Hz?

"Guitar FRFR" would seem to me to describe the Xitone with Matrix amp - as an example. Higher freqs than a guitar speaker on its own, to allow use of cab sims with the Axe.

The CLR seems to be a reference monitor as its "kernal function" - as pdup might say. But adding no "flavour"... which is great for some, but lacking for others...? Flyingfadr's point about the undesirability of a reference monitor profile being totally flat, or going down to 20Hz is interesting. Flat is what a reference monitor does surely? It doesn't sound great - and that's the point of it... Speakers for listening enjoyment boost mids etc and are not flat. And could a 12 inch speaker reproduce 20Hz?

You do want your monitors to be as flat as possible... I was saying its not possible to have your frequency graph be perfectly flat.. There will always be slight dips at certain frequencies. But it was a small joke that you do not want a speaker to reproduce a 20hz wave at a high volume... Brown note... ;-)

It seems that the players that love the sound of a guitar on a polished record love the CLR... The ones who love the sound of a raw guitar blaring at your legs will still love a power amp into a cab, or maybe the matrix or Xitone, as they are probably not as flat as the CLR seems to be ( can't find a published frequency response graph...). I know that's kind of generalized, but that seems to be the consensus from all the feedback I've read.

I'll know personally about the CLR's on Wednesday, as mine are set to arrive... ;-)

Thanks, RB, for the measurement !

You do want your monitors to be as flat as possible... I was saying its not possible to have your frequency graph be perfectly flat.. There will always be slight dips at certain frequencies. But it was a small joke that you do not want a speaker to reproduce a 20hz wave at a high volume... Brown note... ;-)

It seems that the players that love the sound of a guitar on a polished record love the CLR... The ones who love the sound of a raw guitar blaring at your legs will still love a power amp into a cab, or maybe the matrix or Xitone, as they are probably not as flat as the CLR seems to be ( can't find a published frequency response graph...). I know that's kind of generalized, but that seems to be the consensus from all the feedback I've read.

I'll know personally about the CLR's on Wednesday, as mine are set to arrive... ;-)

Thanks, RB, for the measurement !

We have blue notes and now brown notes!

I'll be very interested to hear what you think when yours arrive.

Here's just my humble opinion. frfr is just an acronym for a speaker that can reproduce the higher harmonic content that ordinary guitar boxes or/and tube-amps add to the guitars normal frequencyband. And it can go way over 10 kHz. From tube-saturation to cone-breakup. Mostly way out of the guitars fundamental spectrum.
The Axe reproduces all the fundamentals, the overtones, the harmonic distortion, the sub-harmonics from a big cab responding to a heavy pounding on the strings. But this frequency-band are way from 20-20.000 Hz. In most cases from 100-10kHz. I have allways cherished Electro-voice for making the quasi-Thiele tuned 12" cab that was later adapted by Mesa and Bogner - simply porting the cab and making it go lower than a sealed or open-back.
But - what I'm very interested in, is how good a guitar frfr can be made. Most today are using great woofers, but the hi-frequency often comes from a 1" compression driver that would make a sound-ingeneer in a decent studio cry like a tormented baby.
I won't consider a frfr guitar speaker as a studio-monitor or a bass-amp. If it was, it would probably be mighty expensive and a faulty Schwiz knife.

Here's just my humble opinion. frfr is just an acronym for a speaker that can reproduce the higher harmonic content that ordinary guitar boxes or/and tube-amps add to the guitars normal frequencyband. And it can go way over 10 kHz. From tube-saturation to cone-breakup. Mostly way out of the guitars fundamental spectrum.
The Axe reproduces all the fundamentals, the overtones, the harmonic distortion, the sub-harmonics from a big cab responding to a heavy pounding on the strings. But this frequency-band are way from 20-20.000 Hz. In most cases from 100-10kHz. I have allways cherished Electro-voice for making the quasi-Thiele tuned 12" cab that was later adapted by Mesa and Bogner - simply porting the cab and making it go lower than a sealed or open-back.
But - what I'm very interested in, is how good a guitar frfr can be made. Most today are using great woofers, but the hi-frequency often comes from a 1" compression driver that would make a sound-ingeneer in a decent studio cry like a tormented baby.
I won't consider a frfr guitar speaker as a studio-monitor or a bass-amp. If it was, it would probably be mighty expensive and a faulty Schwiz knife.

"Jack of all trades, master of none...."

Terry.

Hugomack,
To me a monitor is either FRFR or not FRFR - you can't on one hand claim your product to be FRFR and on the other hand claim your product to impart a guitar tube power amps characteristics or a guitar cab like response - that's just not doable, right or honest.
You can't both have your cake and eat it, so "guitar FRFR" is by definition a hoax.
You could say that a monitor is FRFR within a certain frequency range, that's another story, but the question would then be - what is the frequency response outside of that given range ?

One thing I just can't understand is how a reference monitor would be less desireable than a non-FRFR cab to anybody if they intend to use speaker cab IR ? That just does not make any sense at all.
If you prefer a certain real regular guitar cab and just want the sound of that cab on all your presets, then that's fine and I can understand why some players would prefer going that route.
Personally I'd just get a good IR of that cab and enjoy that through a CLR as that would give me the portability and dispersion of the CLR.
But if you use a non-frfr cab with speaker cab IR's then you are hearing a a speaker cab through a speaker cab - might work ok for some sounds but surely not for all and you're thus limiting your choices and you end up having to eq some of the inherent character of your non-FRFR cab out of the sound.

With a FRFR monitor of reference quality you don't get into those problems, as you are hearing your source as it is without extra coloration.
So if you get a good IR, then a reference quality monitor will deliver the sound of that without coloration, with a non-FRFR cab you'll get extra coloration - which it the IR is any good is not what you want.
I've recently joined the OwnHammer beta tester group, and spend most of last evening and night in the rehearsal space going over a bunch of the beta IR's, and I can tell you that these IR's ups the ante for IR's as far as I'm concerned, and as IR increase in quality, the huge benefit of a reference quality monitor will be even more clear to most everybody.

pdup, just my humble opinion - FRFR is a very well defined entity in pro audio (take a look at the quoted text from Terry / Toneseaker above) so you shouldn't make your own definition of what FRFR is or isn't !
That is just counter constructive if you want to participate in a thread like this where the aim is to share knowledge and experience - if we don't stick to the proper definitions we can't have a meaningful discussion or exchange of experiences.

And again - I thing you need to re-read what numerous people who have ACTUAL experience with these monitors are saying about them, instead of just staying stuck in a trench with your beliefs about a product that you do not have any first hand experience with yourself.
The absolute best thing you could do is to try a CLR yourself - you just might change your position a great deal if you do.
All this just in my humble opinion of cause

Hey RB - pdup like any of us, can have his own definitions of anything (he's described FRFR as he sees it); and he does know what he's talking about especially regarding reference monitors. "Guitar FRFR" is my own way of thinking / definition, which I've described in another post, so I won't bore by repetition. Maybe a Xitone fits that description?

A high grade totally flat reference monitor might work with the Axe (I don't know), but a vocalist would hate it; those sorts of monitor have various EQ's to enhance the voice. The CLR is also DSP'd to suit its orientation, altering the flat response part. Remember the infamous Yamaha NS10; if you can get your mix to sound good through one of those, it will sound great anywhere.... But you wouldn't want to listen to music recreationally through one. I ought to put the AXe through them, but as they don't sound anything like an FOH I haven't bothered. And of course a two-way 12" monitor at four feet is never going to give you the same sound as a three-way FOH plus subs at forty... BUt that's not the point. Each to his own.

But as a lot of people have said, it boils down to personal taste. Some people - in the thread about the new Matrix NL12 speakers, use them both with and without cab sims. They're not FRFR. Out of curiosity, I built an extension cab for my ported EVM cabs, with a 1" CD and l-pad. The cross-over comes before the EVM's frequency response dip, making the overall curve reasonably flat. This allows me to use cabs sims quite acceptably ( with the just EVMs on their own, cab sims sound muddy). Maybe this is approaching my definition of my idea of "guitar FRFR" - or should I call it "guitar extended range" - or something (who cares).

But RB, your last par and its "humble opinion" comes over as a touch dictatorial. It's your thread man, and we're also reading the various other threads about the other new cabs coming out, and you've done a great job. But if pdup doesn't want to try a CLR - as the postage back would be very expensive to Denmark, why shouldn't he try to find out as much as he can on here? That's what this forum is for.

Reactions: LVC
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom