10.09 - trip-tik: are you kidding me ?

I dialled this in to try out as a live patch in rehearsal last night. Lowered the bass a bit (3) upped the mids (7-ish) and treble (5.5-6 ish)

I used pretty low gain as we are more of a classic rock act. I think my 'crunch' gain was about 1 on a humbucker PRS. The 'rock rhythm' gain probably about 3 from memory. FRFR via a Matrix setup, using the two Basketweave Producers Pack cabinets in stereo, both panned central as I just have one speaker on a pole at the moment.

Sounded very good and was suitably present in the mix as well. Very important considering we are a two-guitar band. I may bump the bass back up to 4. I'm generally very careful with bass as with the Friedman it was too easy for it to totally dominate the mix. Not in a flubby way, but leave nothing for the bassist!

Will keep it in use for a bit!

The Triptik, by description, would not have grabbed my attention. I'm more of a vintage amp nut and generally prefer low to mid gain overdrive. This amp model is, in practical use, far more versatile than I expected and very much to my liking as well! Though I've no doubt it works wonderfully for rhythm I got lost for close to two hours today just noodling. It has a 'singing' quality (as someone else already posted) and notes bloom effortlessly into harmonic feedback even at very low volume. This trait alone is enough to win me over for the expressive potential it affords. I'll definitely be working with the Triptik more and I'm very much looking forward to the Classic mode and Clean channel models.

Thanks to Alan, Cliff, & jharpersj for making this one happen - it's a jem! :)

I write Songs from a broad variety of styles and therefore use all kinds of amp models - high gain, mid gain, clean - what i especially love about the Trip-Tik and what makes it indeed a bit Special and widely useable is that it has a Kind of "disciplined power" - it delivers massive gain, but is at the same time very tight and defined. I love it.

In regards to "You can do this now using the LOW-CUT FREQ parameter (trims the lows at the input) and the EQ or DEPTH parameters (works at the amp output and power amp, respectively). " - I am going to try trimming the lows at the input on some of the high gain models, especially the Uberschall and the Rectifier Red Modern, because I never liked them because of their low end, but that might change it. My three favourites in the high gain department so far were the PVH6160, the Dizzy V4 4 and the Energyball. I think I will also try this with the Energyball to get it more mix-friendly sounding...

I think what people like about this amp is the same reason people like the BE/HBE. These amps share the same aggressive low-cut on the input and then add bass back in the power amp. This gives clear bass response without getting flubby.

I use that trick a lot on other amps as well (and with eq before and after amps before using the axe-fx). It works really well.

I megatweaked a triptik preset into crazy monster, bigger transformers, more damping, different character etc, it turned out bit scary. I'll post a preset later.

I also tried the 3x10 vibro mix and to my surprise it sounded kick ass. I mainy use the citrus 412 and that works great with the Triptik. The Cali 412 someone else suggested was way metal and cool. I also tried what another poster mentioned and lowered the gain and cranked the master and that gave me a super cool classic rock vibe. I never use mics but I will have to try a few. Fun and loud night at my house tonight!

Cool that the low gain/high MV worked for you too. Could you try that on your real TT?

If you can stand the volume, of course :D

With the real amp this is super easy to do because there is a pre gain control you don't have with the model. When you turn it lower is it like cranking the master and pulling back the gain, cleans it up and gives a les saturated, brighter tone. Also his masters work amazingly well so I can do pretty much a stadium or a tiny club with a 50W amp. I actually use the TripR a lot as well.

Cool that the low gain/high MV worked for you too. Could you try that on your real TT?

If you can stand the volume, of course :D

That sounds very useful with the real amp. No need for that in the model. We have a level knob that not affect the tone :D

The triptiks gain pot is located between the 1st and 2nd overdrive stage. The switch essentially places a resistor in parallel with the pot that brings the pots value down to 10th of what it is in modern mode.
This affects the gain level and reduces it by 50% or so, but it also affects the frequency response by dropping the bass quite a bit and it affects the taper of the pot. One component can completely revoice a channel.

Alan

Dont understand any of this ;) but I so love this amp... amazed that the amp-builder-guru himself chimes in here. Amazed that I am blown away of an amp I never heard of 2 weeks ago...
For the love of everything, I hope Cliff models all your amps now ;) and hope you build a few new ones too...

Rock on! and thanks thanks thanks!

I also tried the 3x10 vibro mix and to my surprise it sounded kick ass. I mainy use the citrus 412 and that works great with the Triptik. The Cali 412 someone else suggested was way metal and cool. I also tried what another poster mentioned and lowered the gain and cranked the master and that gave me a super cool classic rock vibe. I never use mics but I will have to try a few. Fun and loud night at my house tonight!

I'm liking the amp with the 4x10 cabs.

Hey Cliff, yeah I agree, I stumbled on that last night and it sounded great with 10's.

Many moons ago I had a VHT combo with 10's that kicked ass, I will have to check out some of the 4x10 cabs tonight, I got stuck on the 3x10 vibro and then heard "Get Your Ass to bed" ha ha ha

Wow, I hadn't thought of that, but you're right. I'm using the 4x10 Super Verb Mix alongside one of my custom mixes that has a couple of different Ownhammer cabs with a pinch of one of the Santiago cabs and it definitely adds a nice tone in the upper mids or lower treble that I really like. I was using the Basketweave TV with my custom mix, but this is better for me.

I tried the suggested EVM cabs and didn't like them as much as this mix for the sound I'm looking for, which is more of a modern hard rock to metal sound. (Not to extreme on the gain, but a big sound with a nice edge to it.)

The EV thing was really related to the OD Series from Carol Ann (also in the ax) which had a big preference for EV's and against Celestion.. The Triptik was created to work well with any speaker and I really don't think the EV bias applies to the Triptik. In fact I prefer the more standard speakers with it. (30's,75's, 80's and greenbacks).

Wow, I hadn't thought of that, but you're right. I'm using the 4x10 Super Verb Mix alongside one of my custom mixes that has a couple of different Ownhammer cabs with a pinch of one of the Santiago cabs and it definitely adds a nice tone in the upper mids or lower treble that I really like. I was using the Basketweave TV with my custom mix, but this is better for me.

I tried the suggested EVM cabs and didn't like them as much as this mix for the sound I'm looking for, which is more of a modern hard rock to metal sound. (Not to extreme on the gain, but a big sound with a nice edge to it.)

Wow. Just plain wow. 1 patch 4 scenes. Pure heaven. Scene 1 is the Triptik with drive around 5.5, and the cab in stereo mode with the dumble IRs panned 0. I think they are 105 and 106. Second scene is the Y, with the drive around 4 and the sat switch on. And the last two are the same with the Eternal love driving the triptik. Im looking forward to trying some of the cabs some guys are recommending. The Triptik is a versatile hard rockin, gut slashin, shredding beast. Very versatile, and very dynamic.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Some amps you have to work at it to sound good. You would have to work real hard to make this thing sound bad! Want a darker, creamy tone - turn down the mids. Want it more aggressive - crank up the mids and presence. It's all one sweet sweet-spot! My thanks to all involved!

Jake,

This is my philosophy when designing. I aim for a particular tonal signature for the amp and limit the extremes of control and functions so it's a bit more difficult to make it sound bad. However, it's all relative and what my ears gravitate to may not be the same as the next person.

Alan.

Back
Top Bottom