V10 Update

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE what fractal does. But I've seen this stated several times and I'm confused. Is there ANY effects / modeller builder that charges for updates? I think I've used all the major companies at one point in time over my life and I've never been charged for an update by any company for any unit. I don't see how charging for FW updates could ever be a viable business model.

Avid - Eleven Rack charged for their last update. Most companies (guitar processor/modeling) just do a few firmware updates stretch over a long period of time, then release new hardware.
there are notable exceptions, Fractal being one of them.

tumblrmb6exkovnf1qftj0s.jpg

While everybody is waiting here for the V10 to come out, I will move swiftly to our church's meeting room and have a blast with my vintage 9.01b (yes, I am that vintage, I dont even have 9.02)

:)

+1 and Well stated. Keep it apples to apples...
I really don't get this, and I chip in here only because I think these kinds of responses are unfair to the guys putting a lot of effort in to what I perceive as amazing and unique service. First, you have to sort out what you mean. You must not confuse Fractal's service, which is the matter of discussion here, and the distributors. In Europe, G66 push the box (incidentally with amazing customer support and service), but all the updates comes from Fractal directly. The distributors may or may not suck, but FAS, meaing Cliff & the crew at Fractal provide the software directly, as this is a computer.

Having established what we really discuss, let's move on. In your opinion Fractal's service is not unique. Ok, let's compare. FAS are in the intersection between music and technology. Who compares with FAS? Line 6? No, they aim at a totally different segment, charges for new amps, and develop their stuff at a slow pace compared with FAS. Add to this that they are way behind when it comes to sound quality. Avid's Eleven Rack? Well, here, the hot discussion is whether or not they have abandoned the product entirely. They also charge for extras. Kemper? Perhaps; they have a forum and update regularly, but I think this actually is more or less due to demands from a bunch of players looking to the vibrant community surrounding FAS. Also, Kemper, although delivering a good product, is slower, way behind when it comes to effects, which has been a frustration for long. In addition to this, Christoph Kemper has stated that the core product, the technology behind grabbing the sounds and the sounds coming out of the box, is fully developed. What I've experienced the four years I've owned and played the Axe is a really good product continuously developing, some small steps and some giant leaps, and most likely will do in the years ahead. And we get to suggest features, and the updates are free. In fact, I'd gladly pay for both major and minor updates. The team at Fractal (the core + the loosely connected (beta testers etc) and the experts (Yek, Scott, etc)) are always participating in discussions, helping out, suggesting, making patches etc. In what world is this not unique?

damn, my daughter has a spelling Bee competition tonight until 8:30
cough , cough.....................honey I don't feel so good I think I should just stay home, you guys go without me :)

That's great.

I do have to say, I purchased my Axe FX2 in early December and have not had Axe Edit all this time. Common, 4-5 months, I have never had such a bad start to a product as this. Just as well it is a great unit.

You have to get this sorted in the future, it is unreasonable to have to wait so long.

Just like the SNL skit:

What I hear you saying is,
"Waaa Waaa. I have to use the front panel. Waaa Waaa I can't use it cause the editor doesn't work. Waaa Waaa It is soooo HARD to figure out!" You know the rest.

Geez. Ever try editing Line6?

Back
Top Bottom