Tone Matching an Amp

Clips are sounding great guys, just a quick question about the new functionality.

If I'm using tonematch to steel an evh tone from a record and I run a power amp/cab setup live is there a way of getting the evh tone via my actual cab or is this mainly for frfr users? I realise that there are many unknowns using a different cab but some users might find this useful.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk

EQ-Matching (and this is, what we`re talking about, right?!) implies, that the frequency of the hole signal flow gets matched. So a real cab is a like a big filter! You have to include this filter (real cab) when matching! I can assuem, you can do it this way: mic your cab and feed this signal again in the axe (using another input) into the tone-match block. After matching (=creating the EQ curve) disconnect the miced signal - put the tone-match block into you "normal" signal flow in the axe .... -> done.

got it

thanks for the reply

gotta say, more than anything else its one hell of an exciting time for modeling/profiles and just damn fine sound ITB

That was very good indeed :)

I think the slightly brighter tone in clip 2 is caused by the reverb.

It can be a recording OR a live amp. If it's a live amp, just mic it up and feed the signal into the matching block as the reference signal.

If I wanted to place two (or more) mics on an amp, then feed the mic'ed sounds in a good mic pre, and *then* go to the Axe, could I? Or would the live (amp matching) function only work when using one mic?

If it doesn't work with two or more mics, I guess the other option would be to record the amp to a DAW using multiple mics, blend them to taste, and then use the tone matching feature in the Axe.

Is that (more or less) correct?

Thanks.

Outstanding Cliff! The preview clips demonstrating the matching functions in the upcoming v6 firmware sound amazing!

Thank you (yet again) for your continued efforts to make the best even better. I appreciate your time and effort. :)

If it doesn't work with two or more mics, I guess the other option would be to record the amp to a DAW using multiple mics, blend them to taste, and then use the tone matching feature in the Axe.

I would almost rather do this. while an amp mic'd can sound great i know i can usually get a much better sound in the end once i record it and tweak it. alot of times i will add some compression, eq to tast, run a hi pass filter over it etc

then that is what i would copy into the fractal.

But what if I wanted to mic up a flatulent elephant's ass with an R121, a creaky door hinge using an SM57, then bubble the signal through dirty bong water, how would I compensate for bong length? This needs a bong length control or its useless.

I would almost rather do this. while an amp mic'd can sound great i know i can usually get a much better sound in the end once i record it and tweak it. alot of times i will add some compression, eq to tast, run a hi pass filter over it etc

then that is what i would copy into the fractal.
exactly. you could also use five mics and mix them before sending them to the Axe.

You stand the risk of having phase anomalies, artifacts, comb filtering, EQ strangeness when mixing multiple mics. I like the keep it simple stupid approach. The more layers of EQ and effects you create, the more noise and artifacts you introduce.

That was very good indeed :)

I think the slightly brighter tone in clip 2 is caused by the reverb.

No, second part has a much clearer guitar, more top end. It is also a bit louder, and seems to have a less compressed attack.

Sounds good though! I do much prefer the second part, whatever that is.

it's all about personal tastes: if i must choose, i prefer the second one, for the same reasons you point out: brighter, cleaner, less "oomph";
but you can definitely say that it's the same amp.
i bet that several people will choose the first one, and that's the way should be: personal tastes.

I am not saying that I prefer one or the other. It should not be matter of preference since the goal is to match the tone from the amp. The differences should not be that noticeable.

It should not be matter of preference since the goal is to match the tone from the amp. The differences should not be that noticeable.
Hm. It seems not so much whether a person CAN HEAR A DIFFERENCE. Of course you should be able to tell the difference between clips. Unless they are EXACTLY the same, unless they are IDENTICAL you are going to be able to tell a difference. The question is about the quality of that difference. Is the difference a degradation? Does it sound like the same color and character from the same amp? EQ may differ from one amp to the same amp by wide margins. Reverb, compression all may alter the sound of that same amp, yet its the same amp.

Man. It's like guys who nitpick tiny, tiny minutia over the tonal characteristics of Mullard EL34 tubes. My hat's off to you. But can you PLAY?? LOL. I mean that seems to be the most important question. When we get as nitpicky over playing as we do over gear . . .

If you want an exact spectral match, this isn't the product for you. Well, you can do it but you have to use the synth block and generate test tones, etc. The idea is to get the basic flavor of the sound. You can then go from there. With a little practice you can get very close matches. It requires some user interaction. With time you learn the nuances of how to achieve a better match. Playing certain things helps the analyzer get better results.

We give you the creative tools. You then explore...

If you want an exact spectral match, this isn't the product for you. Well, you can do it but you have to use the synth block and generate test tones, etc. The idea is to get the basic flavor of the sound. You can then go from there. With a little practice you can get very close matches. It requires some user interaction. With time you learn the nuances of how to achieve a better match. Playing certain things helps the analyzer get better results.

Cliff, if we use an external sine sweep, we would be done frequency wise? The dynamics and gain reactions from the Axe Amp Blocks will do the rest ... for 99% percent Amp "cloning" i am sure!

Last edited:
It can be a recording OR a live amp. If it's a live amp, just mic it up and feed the signal into the matching block as the reference signal.
How 'bout running an amp into a dummy load with a line out (e.g., HotPlate) into the AxeFx? Would that net a capture of a real-life amp minus cab?

Cliff, if we use an external sine sweep, we would be done frequency wise? The dynamics and gain reactions from the Axe Amp Blocks will do the rest ... for 99% percent Amp "cloning" i am sure!
I'm sure that the Axe II analysis is a sine wave freq sweep. Isn't that what the sample does?

How 'bout running an amp into a dummy load with a line out (e.g., HotPlate) into the AxeFx? Would that net a capture of a real-life amp minus cab?

Sort of. Dummy loads are horribly inaccurate though. That's why I prefer shooting the cab and then doing the match. Your match block is then just the amp match.

Sort of. Dummy loads are horribly inaccurate though. That's why I prefer shooting the cab and then doing the match. Your match block is then just the amp match.

Can you (or someone else) elaborate on this process? I'm a poweramp/guitar cab user. If I wanted to match a tone, I'd need to take an IR of my cab first?

Guys, you all can check out the other tone matching thread, on page 2 zentman did a little eq tweaking and pretty much got it spot on. The tone matching is just a tool, and you have to know how to work with it a little ;)

Back
Top Bottom