High end fizz...is this normal?

chancefx

Hello

I'm hearing something across all my patches (with the exception of squeaky clean tones) that I can't stop focusing on. It's driving me crazy. It is a high end buzz/fizz/fuzz on anything amp block that is "breaking up". For lack of a better description, it's almost like it's floating above the notes.

I'm wondering if a) others can hear it and b) is it normal?

I recorded a sample using the stock Top Boost patch with only the amp and cab blocks. The only change to the patch was bypassing delay/reverb and turning down the level in the amp block. The guitar has humbuckers (but single coils do it as well). It was recorded from the Axe USB straight into Garage Band.

The first part of the recording has the amp block bypassed and you can hear 'it' when the amp block comes on.

I'm running the latest firmware. The input level is set at 50.6% so I don't get red.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited:
Hello
I'm hearing something across all my patches (with the exception of squeaky clean tones) that I can't stop focusing on. It's driving me crazy. It is a high end buzz/fizz/fuzz on anything amp block that is "breaking up". For lack of a better description, it's almost like it's floating above the notes.

I hear a strong octave overtone and to a lesser extent a second octave but that's normal. I hear the fizz that you are talking about... kind of wiggles and settles through the chord... is that low action/fret buzz possibly that's emphasized by the drive?

I hear a strong octave overtone and to a lesser extent a second octave but that's normal. I hear the fizz that you are talking about... kind of wiggles and settles through the chord... is that low action/fret buzz possibly that's emphasized by the drive?
it does have a fret buzz kinda thing going on but there is something else. Try using the high cut to 8k and if that doesn't work, try sweeping through the 1k and beyong frequencies on a peq with a small q until you find the bastard and make the cut.

Thanks for the replies so far. It's not a fret buzz as it doesn't matter what guitar I'm playing. Also, the first part of the clip with the amp block bypassed shows that there is no buzz. Then, when I turn the amp block on, the buzz starts.

The preset is the stock "Top Boost" in bank A...but it is noticeable on most of my presets especially those on the edge of overdriven tones. I could start playing with frequencies but what I'm hearing is systemic, not just a single specific preset.

By the way, I never noticed this on my Axe Fx Standard

Thanks

I happened to tune in at :30 and :31 where there is fret buzz and then tested on my guitar (I do have some fret buzz). In any event, I do hear it. I can't explain it. There are a few posts now with a mention of buzz in distortion after the 3.02 update so maybe that's related.

i have no fret buzz on my suhr and i get that fizz too, that's pretty annoying. i'm usually playing on mister floyd or some crazy patches like modern jazz and i don't have that fizz on there...

correction: i do have that fizzz sizzle on patch 317 modern jazz which is a bad ass preset, i can tame that fizz by lowering the treble or not striking the chord that hard.... but i also would like that tone of treble on 10.... regardless i do notice that fizz in other presets now and it's not an appealing quality, as subtle as it may be.

Last edited:
Here is another short sample with a different Stock preset (Mr. Z) with delay and reverb bypassed.

This was recorded with a different guitar (Tele - single coil bridge, no fret buzz).

The first part of the clip has the amp block bypassed. When the amp block turns on, you can hear the fizz.

Thanks for listening.

It sounds like you might just be just clipping the outs. I have had it happen where the patch was just on the edge of clipping. The output clip does come on but you hear the clip. Easy way to eliminate that as the source is to lower the global output 1 by about 6db and see if it goes away. It is does then that was probably it, if not you can continue the troubleshooting process.

Sounds like you are clipping the output buffers or the input to your audio interface (or sound-card or mixer or whatever).

FractalAudio said:
Sounds like you are clipping the output buffers or the input to your audio interface (or sound-card or mixer or whatever).

Thanks for the reply. I'll check the output level/buffers tonight. I'm pretty sure it's not the input level at the interface (apogee duet) because I'm coming in between -16 and -12.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I'll check the output level/buffers tonight. I'm pretty sure it's not the input level at the interface (apogee duet) because I'm coming in between -16 and -12.

Thanks

But you're using the USB directly into garage band right?

javajunkie said:
But you're using the USB directly into garage band right?

Haha. Yes, you are right! I confused myself for a bit as I have done both setups. These recordings were USB straight in.

I did do a XLR to the apogee Duet 2 into Logic. I was coming into Logic at -16 to -12. But, this was NOT how the clips were recorded.

Sorry for the confusion.

Haha. Yes, you are right! I confused myself for a bit as I have done both setups. These recordings were USB straight in.

I did do a XLR to the apogee Duet 2 into Logic. I was coming into Logic at -16 to -12. But, this was NOT how the clips were recorded.

Sorry for the confusion.

Yeah, I would try lowering the volume either in the global output 1 or preset main mixer and see if goes away.

Okay, sample #3. This is now the STOCK Plexi Normal. I bypassed the delay and reverb and LOWERED THE LEVEL in the amp block to -20.9dB. The preset defaults to -9.5dB.

Also, I turned the output level knob on the front of the box to under 10 o'clock (about 1/3 of the way up).

Again, first part of the sample has the amp block bypassed to show a clean, pure signal. Then, when I turn on the amp block on, fizz.

By the way, same thing through headphones.

I also have a Axe 1 Standard. So, I know at least a little bit about these boxes. Gigged it tonight and it was awesome. No digital fizz.

Thanks for your help.

That's the way a Plexi is supposed to sound. That's due to the cathode follower. That raspiness helps it cut through in a mix.

Back
Top Bottom