New Owners: What did you learn today?

Section 13 of the manual. There are options for backup/restore in the Utility menu now.
thank you.. understand that. What I asked was how the factory banks are stored... there's no menu option to store them!
You can backup (User) banks A-C, and system and restore (User) Bank A-C, system and Factory banks.
SO, same question - How do you store the Factory banks to ROM?

thank you.. understand that. What I asked was how the factory banks are stored... there's no menu option to store them!
You can backup (User) banks A-C, and system and restore (User) Bank A-C, system and Factory banks.
SO, same question - How do you store the Factory banks to ROM?

OK. Now I understand. I just tried a Bank A backup and Factory Bank A restore. Seems like the Factory banks are already loaded in ROM.

OK. Now I understand. I just tried a Bank A backup and Factory Bank A restore. Seems like the Factory banks are already loaded in ROM.
Cool !! Thanks for the reply. Wonder how one loads new sets of factory banks in there (assuming new ones for Axe2 come out)?

Does anyone know how many units are out by now? Just wondering - maybe someone close to the source knows this??

V.

Cool !! Thanks for the reply. Wonder how one loads new sets of factory banks in there (assuming new ones for Axe2 come out)?

There is a hidden factory menu that allows the contents of the banks to be burned into the backup FLASH.

Great thread... Good stuff (for me at least) Since I didnt understand 5% of the technical thread that was up here a month ago or so. Im sure the tech-thread was great but this is more "user-stuff" IMHO

EDIT:
After reading through the AXE II tech tread, I was not sure I wanted one. After reading this thread, I KNOW I want one

Last edited:
Today's main lesson for me was in picking dynamics.

The new models respond even better to picking dynamics than I remember their Ultra counterparts. I spent a lot of time with the AC30 factory preset (just turned off the delay) so it was just amp/cab/reverb. The way the timbre changed with my picking dynamics was unbelievable. It was even more so when I switched to the Trainwreck preset.

From a feature standpoint, I started getting into the quick edit knobs. Very much easier than scrolling and only using the big (value) knob. Pushing the "perpendicular" navigation buttons (e.g., left/right when the actual scrolling is up/down) skips you five parameters, allowing you to page through in sets of five adjustable params. This makes fast work of getting through the amp geek parameters.

The new models respond even better to picking dynamics than I remember their Ultra counterparts. I spent a lot of time with the AC30 factory preset (just turned off the delay) so it was just amp/cab/reverb. The way the timbre changed with my picking dynamics was unbelievable. It was even more so when I switched to the Trainwreck preset.

From a feature standpoint, I started getting into the quick edit knobs. Very much easier than scrolling and only using the big (value) knob. Pushing the "perpendicular" navigation buttons (e.g., left/right when the actual scrolling is up/down) skips you five parameters, allowing you to page through in sets of five adjustable params. This makes fast work of getting through the amp geek parameters.

Yea, yea, yea! First time I turned the box on, the dynamics had me wide eyed. I thought: "That.... is different. Nice!"

Check the presence control now on most every amp. Different than the Gen1. Totally different. Crank up the top end and notice how the shimmer and air open up without sizzle or fizz, even under tons of gain. Notice how the bass is now 'bass' without having to get nuts with PEQ blocking or low-cut. The VVT thing might not 'jump' out at you right away, but as you 'get into' the box you'll start to really pick up that what seemed small incremental differences start making your final guitar tone actually wider and deeper and just 'bigger' without hashing up. The dynamic range is extended - maybe the lower noise floor is a factor (?) - but even if you roll off the volume, you have a different experience in the playing/interaction/give-push/juice of playing. You can move 'easier' with it as a player, it is simply more amp like. It's a sense/feel thing. When you listen back, you'll notice how similar you end up getting from the Gen1 but the actual experience of playing has more nuance.

You'll notice when I describe these things that the adjective 'more' seems over used. But that's essentially my opinion of what the 2 offers in direct contrast to the Gen1 boxes. "More" of this, that and the other thing. Not dramatic, not overwhelming and it's not a religious experience differentiation between the two generations. This builds on everything kick ass about the Gen1 boxes and delivers the experience more efficiently, with a better workflow and adds to the overall playing experience within the actual modeling and algorithms.

Here's something I guarantee will make you laugh out loud. Get into the wah next and work with the 'drive' (aka - Fasel) control. Use a setting of 6.0 to start. Add 6ms dampening and drop the mid to 35% on your controller page. Set the other controls to taste (start with the defaults on them).

Totally agree about the lows being very nicely rounded and not flubby or muddy. They can get very THICK when you turn the bass up. The highs are VERY sweet and not ice-picky at all, so I agree there as well. Master Volume seems to have a more profound affect on the overall tone now, definitely more like real tube amps. And it responds more as a volume control as well. It WILL make your patch much louder if you crank it up. I seem to be able to find that "sweet spot" much easier. It's more organic than the Gen 1. Also, the drive block is improved nicely.

A big thing I noticed after my couple hours last night would be the EQ in the Amp block. It's there if you need it, but I find it isn't always necessary. Where I would use a PEQ block after one of the USA Lead sims on the Ultra, I find I don't need it here...and I don't need the EQ in the amp block to get a similar tone, either. Every once in a while I will find a troublesome frequency, and it's very helpful to cut those out a bit, but generally I find I'm using less EQ than before.

Then there's the built-in backup. Wow, is that an awesome feature!!! Back up your preset banks and system settings to onboard ROM and have the ability to restore them whenever you want. VERY nice!

You've just made my day!!! ;)

Oh guys...I'm awaiting my shipping confirmation today and I'm afraid that you have made that wait all the more unbearable. I look forward to being able to contribute on here next week.

Alec is onto what I experienced playing a beta unit. Your hands and heart begin to link-up with it intuitively once you turn off the extra blocks and explore it as an instrument of expression. I used the words naked and raw; simple words for complex behavior and flip-sides of the new Fractal "coin" but once your hands experience it, it'll make sense.

The quick-edit knobs are really handy! I was so wired for one-knob editing I had to adjust, but it makes quick work of dialing tones.

Plugged Axe 2 into JBL PRX512 (just because it was the only speaker I had handy).
Scrolled through the first 20+ presets....they all sound great. The amps are more distinct that I remember with my Ultra.
Got to the Freidman HBE....turned off the Reverb...turned off the Delay.....opened the Amp block to edit....did a quick EQ....messed with some of the new 'Advanced' settings (LOVE the 4 quick knobs for this!!). Then boom....my JBL PRX512 sounds a ripping half stack. Only took a couple of minutes to dial in a smokin hot rodded Marshall tone.

So what did I actually 'learn'? The Axe 2 is very easy to dial in....and it sounds smokin on FRFR.

One more Day before mine arrives!!! Can't freakin' wait! My only obstacle is going to be getting it past the wife and into the studio!

Reactions: gpz
Back
Top Bottom