Axe-Fx II Technical Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is a technical question, about modeling in general. certainly applies to the axe II, but maybe belongs in a different forum. here it goes:

is the entire real-world circuit exactly duplicated with a matching virtual circuit such that all interactions between serial and parallel components (theoretically) reflect real-world behavior?

or is it that you dial in what you believe to be the sweet spots, measure those, and approximate what the various components ought to be doing?

i mean it's one thing to acquire a bunch of the best amps in the world. it's a whole different thing to really know those amps and where the magic lives. there's no substitute for experience, right?

it seems you need to not only acquire the great amps, but also acquire the knowledge from the great players that have been playing those great amps so they can tell you where that magic happens (gives a lot of weight to the requests for artist patches). and even then it's their opinion of what sounds good. other less obvious magic could be missed.

i'm currently axe-less, waiting for a chance to buy an axe II. while i wait i'd like to squelch one of my lingering concerns about modeling:

what if we're missing some of the less obvious or great "in between" sounds because those settings weren't considered and are not reflected in the model?

i'm sure this has been discussed before, but i didn't find any good threads. answers to the above questions or pointers to threads where i can find the answers greatly appreciated!

It's a virtual circuit.

Most network patch cables are made from solid core copper twisted pairs. They bend, but don't roll up nicely or lay flat on the floor...
Most of the network patch cords I'm used to have multi-strand pairs. They dress well and lie flat. Physical plant network cabling (the kind that's installed in buildings) is usually solid-core.

sorry of this has already been answered......so say you bought ownhammer/redwirez IR's (1024?)or even converted some for the ultra from a wav file using that utility....can those be used in AXF2?

If not is there a way to convert them?

Last edited:
Would I be able to set the axe-fx II so that one output say Left has no cab/mic sims and the other output say right has the cab/mic sims. This way I could use the same patch if I'm going direct to the board, use my amp/cab live, and for recording?

Also will there be some mic pre-amp sims like API or Neve so it could be used for recording vocals and other acoustic instruments

I can't wait for it to be released I had been thinking about getting an ultra but the new features have me sold on it

Is the audio interface functionality class compliant (work in OSX without drivers)? I'm wondering if it is possible to use with an iPad and USB camera connector.
Link

Edit: Found the following from Cliff but I still don't understand if one could record to the iPad connected via USB. Is there a firmware loader for the USB chip?

"The "built-in" interface is limited only by the host computer. The USB is Audio Class 2.0 compliant. On a Mac you don't need to install any drivers but you do need to install the firmware loader for the USB chip (it is a "soft" processor and downloads its code from the host on start-up). On a PC you also have to install the Audio Class 2.0 drivers. The driver supports ASIO, SRC, etc. etc. You can use the USB just for remote control via Axe-Edit if you want. You don't have to use the audio features."

Last edited:
That doesn't really fit in with the Monty Python theme going here though.

Yes, but it DOES fit in a Spinal Tap Theme!

"If I were to say how much more black could the Axe-FX be? It would be none...none more black"

LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom