Axe-Fx III Firmware 22.00 Public Beta (Beta 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a little sad that the DynaCabs are not UltraRes. I always found UltraRes to have way more depth and dimensionatlity than anything else I ever tried IR-wise. I will probably just stick with old-fashioned IRs. I never cared to move a mic around a speaker cab. I would much rather have York Audio or OwnHammer tell me "This is a healthy good sounding IR" and then stick to it. With all the IR packs I ever bought, I never spent time time on anything but the 'mix IRs'.
I wouldn't knock it till you try it........they sound awful good.....icon_wink.gif

The axe is more about amp and fx modeling but yes who knows
Personally I think that it is a cool (and free!) add on to the product. Some people will like to quickly find a tone while doing that.
Finding the “good IR” is the most boring part of the tone quest to me. We will see when we will have the final release with the bass cabs and where it goes etc

I'm a little sad that the DynaCabs are not UltraRes. I always found UltraRes to have way more depth and dimensionatlity than anything else I ever tried IR-wise. I will probably just stick with old-fashioned IRs. I never cared to move a mic around a speaker cab. I would much rather have York Audio or OwnHammer tell me "This is a healthy good sounding IR" and then stick to it. With all the IR packs I ever bought, I never spent time time on anything but the 'mix IRs'.

I think the main benefit for me is the user experience, the ability to move a little dot around (like mic'ing a cab in real life) rather than scroll through 100 cabs each with minutely different placements, as well as naming conventions that don't always make sense and are different between IR vendors. I get to where i want to go a lot faster and minus a lot of the frustration. I wouldn't get too hung up on the sample size, they sound great. For me dynacab is a true game changer.

And where in what sized room the cab is.

And can we move everything on this side od the room to that side of the room and everything on that side of the room to this side of the room? And can we gave the whole front of the room open up on a great big hinge, so we can get in with a garage door opener?
And don’t forget, what color are the walls?

I am one that hated IR choosing. I can find a really good sound quite quickly now and am much more satisfied with the final result.

The best part is that I feel like I’m in control. There’s something to fiddle with, rather than trying out someone else’s idea of a good cab. Granted those cabs are often very good, and this is still ‘just’ a cab, and it might be the illusion of control, but even that’s important. Feels like it’s ‘mine’ now.

I would much rather have York Audio or OwnHammer tell me "This is a healthy good sounding IR" and then stick to it. With all the IR packs I ever bought, I never spent time time on anything but the 'mix IRs'.
To each their own, but the "game changer" here for me is not so much the graphic selection though that is great - it is the automated IC assignment AND providing the RIGHT IC for the IR selected which allows them to be used more realistically with ANY Axfx amp models. This is not possible with many (most I suspect) 3rd pty IRs where resonance data is not typically provided to even enter manually in Axfx. The IC functionality makes these more than just another IR despite not being Ultrarez which is not a concern for me personally as I prefer to run my IRs quite dry at 512 or 256.

Last edited:
Just had a play with some classic strat tonez. It was really easy to just wiggle the mic and find a sound that I have been aiming for the whole time. Best part is that it’s tactile and you can feel your way, almost like another instrument. I kinda feel like this has “solved” the IR question for me. This is a big deal.
Are you using poweramp and cab(s) or frfr?

Cheers 🍻

Now, I haven't installed the beta yet - I will not have the option until after Easter.

Before I got the AX8 and now AxeIII, I used the Two-Notes Torpedo CAB and the Two-Notes Wall of Sound plugin. Both of which offered the option to move a mic around a speaker. Unfortunately, everything just sounded bad, and it was a real game changer, the first time, I uploaded an Ownhammer IR to my Torpedo CAB. It just worked - even though the Torpedo CAB doesn't support long IRs. It became much better still with AX8 and UltraRes. I recently tried the Mikko plugin as well - there you can also move a mic around. It just doesn't float my boat. If I have an IR I like, but I would like a bit more treble, I pull up an EQ - This is much faster.

I never understood people who did not enjoy long IRs - short IRs are just so flat in comparison - completely without a sense of space and dimension. To each their own - I understand, this is great for people who has experience with and enjoys moving mics around and combining them - Personally, I prefer to let the experts do that, select on of their best mixes and just move on.

We both don't like the SM57s that much either, I wonder what it is about IR capturing that doesn't do the 57 any favors?
I sometimes wonder if the reason why people are surprised by the SM57 as an IR, versus any experience with one in a FOH or studio experience, is due to the fact that most FOH and studio engineers tend to generously use board eq to fix or shape the sound, versus IR engineers tending to record the mics flat with no EQ

I love the DynaCabs. Love them. Played mostly with the that Mesa Straight cab that sounds fantastic. My love with OwnHammer is probably over at this point.

I love the DynaCabs. Love them. Played mostly with the that Mesa Straight cab that sounds fantastic. My love with OwnHammer is probably over at this point.
Funny, I found the Straight can entirely too harsh and thin compared to the Slant. Care to share your settings? Really curious to see how much these cabs will change with the final firmware.

Also, the Recto Slant sounds CRAZY good with a single Dynamic mic. IIRC I had it set to ~1.40 position , 2.5 to 3.0-ish distance.

You should write it up in the Wish section and see if it gets traction...
It has been wished for a number of times over the years, most notably by Yek.
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/option-to-link-amp-and-cab-channels.151059/

This seemed like a good time to bring the suggestion back up since this patch introduces interaction between the Amp and Cab block parameters for the first time. Linking the channels feels similar and fits into the same user experience FAS is working on right now.

Reactions: yek
Will the next version of the Factory presets use Dyna-Cab settings?
My feeling is that FAS will want some factory presets that show off the Dynacabs, so I would expect some updates. Whether they will all be updated remains to be seen. Given the number of people and amount of work involved, I would suspect even FAS may not even have a solid answer to that question at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom