Axe-Fx Firmware Version 21.00 Public Beta #4 (Beta 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the idea of a tweaks page instead of the ideal page, it makes a lot more sense to me and if it makes things easier for you too Cliff then it's a win win situation in my opinion, great idea :)

I'm sure Cliff will do whatever the greater good is for his creation.....enjoy the new fw.... stop speculating and 😫😭...🥱🥱🥱

I'm sure Cliff will do whatever the greater good is for his creation.....enjoy the new fw.... stop speculating and 😫😭...🥱🥱🥱
the door to the ideal page topic was opened, imo, for constructive feedback (which I believe Fractal wants and values) - if we can't engage in that type of interaction, and are only permitted applause and gushing🤮 here, then I for 1, am out.

Last edited:
I am actually fighting with the AFD (oh noooooo) trying to understand why is it the marshall in the unit that sound off compared to the others. Like you have a pillow in your ears. I dont know, there is something that make it sound dead inside. I know i know, it's boring. I know cliff once does an A/B, but the test is simple : just do 2 chords scrolling marshalls by default, when it is the afd turn... still dont know why the presence knob act like this to 9 to 10 ? is the presence knob the culprit ? dont know. here is what I am actually doing, and tweaking all my presets at the same time to make them sounding the best that I can .

The thing is that slash is one of my favorite guitarist, and maybe I cannot admit that something with is name on it "sound like shit" .
I think that’s just how the AFD100 sounds. Here’s a video comparing the JCM Slash to the AFD100. I wish they used another microphone, but at least you can hear the amps side by side.

I spent a couple of days, a couple of years ago, creating a chart of which parameters were active on which models. All of the controls in the Ideal page are used throughout the amp models but there are some models that have controls deactivated. The 'rub' has been that there is no designation to show whether they're active or not and those who don't know they work in other amp models wonder why they're even there.

I am wholeheartedly in support of having a 'Tweaks' page that has consistency between the amp models.
Any chance you could post this? It would be very resourceful. Thanks!

Beta 4 is sounding great! @FractalAudio, is there any chance we could get the Recto 1 Red modeled with the Silicon Diode rectifier and Bold power settings in the final firmware?

IIRC, you can simulate a sllicon diode rectifier by turning the supply sag down quite a bit. No idea about the bold setting. I would love this also for Recto 2 one day.

With beta 2 I wrote that my "Real" Mesa cabs sounded bad, I want to say that with beta 4 they sound awesome again, I read a couple of posts explaining similar situations and they resolved by reinstalling the beta, I didn't do it, but I guess It was the same problem.

I have been switching back and forth between beta 1 and beta 4 and I can't help but feel like there is something off in the highs of the latest beta. Compared to beta 1, there is more harshness and less low end resonance when reamping using the same guitar track. This is more pronounced when playing through an SS amp + cab. I have attached a comparison. I wonder if anyone has noticed it as well or if I'm overthinking things :)

IIRC, you can simulate a sllicon diode rectifier by turning the supply sag down quite a bit. No idea about the bold setting. I would love this also for Recto 2 one day.
I just tried that and it’s still pretty saggy compared to the real amp with the SS rectifier. It’s not bad… it’s just not as percussive. It would be cool to model the Silicon Diodes since it seems like it would be easier to make a tight amp sag more than to get a saggy amp to tighten up. The model still sounds good though.

I have been switching back and forth between beta 1 and beta 4 and I can't help but feel like there is something off in the highs of the latest beta. Compared to beta 1, there is more harshness and less low end resonance when reamping using the same guitar track. This is more pronounced when playing through an SS amp + cab. I have attached a comparison. I wonder if anyone has noticed it as well or if I'm overthinking things :)

I like the second clip. It feels more “alive.”

I just tried that and it’s still pretty saggy compared to the real amp with the SS rectifier. It’s not bad… it’s just not as percussive. It would be cool to model the Silicon Diodes since it seems like it would be easier to make a tight amp sag more than to get a saggy amp to tighten up. The model still sounds good though.
Found this old nugget of wisdom from way back when. Apparently it's just a matter of adjusting the variac?

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/rectifier-solidstate-vs-tube.102553/post-1228691

EDIT: You and Cliff were having this same conversation 7 years ago, apparently.

yeah, the afd is dead indeed... just choose cameron ccv 2A for that sound and be done with it ;)
I always found the real AFD to sound a bit dead actually. never did a direct comparison to the model though and eventhough there are plenty of similar options to choose from, if the model is off, it should be looked into...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom