Axe-Fx Firmware Version 21.00 Public Beta #4 (Beta 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Impressions after tweaking settings and doing a gig…

Amp: Plexi 100W jumped

Had to reduce level around 3dB to get where it was before and to balance with my Fender Deluxe.

Disclaimer: I’ve also messed around with settings on my multiband comp for under 200Hz, which may be coloring my impressions.

Overall, it feels great. I find there is a clarity and pop that it didn’t have before. My old settings sound brighter than before, and I’m still working on tweaking EQ.

I always found the real AFD to sound a bit dead actually. never did a direct comparison to the model though and eventhough there are plenty of similar options to choose from, if the model is off, it should be looked into...
IMO, Cliff has AFD, which is not that good..when he shared the A/B clip of model and real AFD, the high end sounded funky, no bite at all. I had pleasure to play that amp maybe 7 years ago in german music store and omg, that amp was sick, sick, sick. top end sparkle and harmonics for days, barking midrange and 2nd mode had more low end than any other marshall I’ve tried, but really tight, punchy and 3D kind of low end. it was simply amazing..it’s still in my head..I was more impressed with AFD than with friedmans. unfortunately, I had not enough money to buy it at that time :(

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure that Cliff has AFD, which is not that good..when he shared the A/B clip of model and real AFD, the high end sounded funky, no bite at all. I had pleasure to play that amp maybe 7 years ago in german music store and omg, that amp was sick, sick, sick. top end sparkle and harmonics for days, barking midrange and 2nd mode had more low end than any other marshall I’ve tried, but really tight, punchy and 3D kind of low end. it was simply amazing..it’s still in my head..I was more impressed with AFD than with friedmans. unfortunately, I had not enough money to buy it at that time :(
Then, as ever, when you play through a stack from real and then with an miced amp tone at tv volume (…) you lose a lot. Like riding a H. Davidson for real or watching it on tv😁. Not the same feeling😅. Don’t know. I never tried one

From what I understand, the AFD was once among Cliff's favorite models. So despite sounding like canned anus, we could guess it was at least the most accurate model back then...? ;)
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-ii-firmware-15-03-released.88535/post-1069520

Me, I still have a stand-out memory of trying the AFD when it was new, but maybe I got lucky because of how my then powered Atomic FRFR colored the preset. I'm also fairly unexperienced with real tube amps, so couldn't compare...

Last edited:
From what I understand, the AFD was once among Cliff's favorite models. So despite sounding like canned anus, we could guess it was at least the most accurate model back then...? ;)
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-ii-firmware-15-03-released.88535/post-1069520

I still have a stand-out memory of trying the AFD when it was new as well, but maybe I got lucky because of what my powered old Atomic FRFR added to the preset. I'm also fairly unexperienced with real tube amps, so couldn't compare...
the taste in tone is so subjective. he may still love it till today, but IMO there are like 300 better amp models in axe than afd. hell, I can make even ac30 with drive block sound more marshally than afd 😀

I, for one, would have to figure out how to tweak amps without the Ideal page. I use it exclusively, tweaking different parameters to fine tune the tone I would like to hear. This is where I've found my happy place that gives me similar results as rolling preamp tubes. I know there are several preamp tube types but the Ideal page gives me the results I'm used to.

I'm extremely sorry to hear that this is a pain for Cliff but very much appreciate having it. It is invaluable to me and one of the things I have really come to rely on.

The parameters I use most are:
  • Bright Switch*, using the Cap Value knob to find the "ideal" setting. Even at very low settings, in conjunction with the High Treble, yields very satisfactory results for me. This is on in pretty much all of my presets.
  • Fat Switch - Almost always have this on regardless of the amp.
  • BMT - Invaluable to me for fine tuning an amp. I really never seem to get the results I would like with a single or dual Tone control(s). I'm not really after "authentic", I really enjoy having the added flexibility in an amp to adjust deeper. Using the Output EQ isn't the same.
  • High Treble - I use it in probably 75% of my presets
  • Depth - Don't use as much as the others, left at default the majority of the time, but I still use it on occasion and experiment with it whenever tweaking a new amp.

The Cut Switch, Input Trim and High Cut are parameters I rarely use. I have yet to use the Master Vol. Trim in any preset, it's left at the default value.

* It was a little disappointing when this parameter was deactivated in some amp models. I'm still trying to get the Nuclear Tone to sound the way it did prior to its deactivation. I found a replacement amp but the Nuclear Tone was my favorite by far and still recommend to others. I still mess with it from time to time, but the Bright Switch really added something to it I can't seem to replicate.
YEP, YEP!

Dont know if it has passed this thread earlier...
I find the WAH pedals more accurate and better responding on this b4 firmware. Anyway the Cry-baby and the Clyde in my case.

Ear fatigue? Hope not and really hope that the WAH sound will still be there tomorrow 🙏 I like it 😅

Cheers 🍻

I've been thinking about getting a pair; I'm not overly impressed with the ATH-M40s which seem to have a honk to them compared to my Sennheiser HD 650s, beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro, and Blue Mix-Fi. I move between the various types when EQing, along with using either a matched correcting IR or a compensating EQ curve, because I figure if my preset sounds good through all of them then I'll be happy with it live.
I compared M40s to M50s. The 50s are much clearer and dont have that honky sound the 40s have.

Dont know if it has passed this thread earlier...
I find the WAH pedals more accurate and better responding on this b4 firmware. Anyway the Cry-baby and the Clyde in my case.

Ear fatigue? Hope not and really hope that the WAH sound will still be there tomorrow 🙏 I like it 😅

Cheers 🍻
Maybe the improvements in the amps make them sound better/more accurate? I know I found a huge improvement in the Marshall’s. I just wailed on Tres Hombres tones for an hour and I was extremely happy with the sound compared to before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom