Def Leppard On Jimmy Kimmel - Off Air Peformance

This is not a muscle sport...more like golf - strong commection, less force
Great analagy -
played golf for many years - all the power is in a balanced even swing that maximizes the physics of swinging a hinged (wrists) instrument (arms/club) around a grounded (feet) rotating center (upper body). Always funny to watch a muscley athletic semi-golfer (trying mightily to muscle a drive 200 yds) playing with a petite practiced lady golfer with an effortless easy swing motion blasting her ball 40yds+ past Mr Muscles).

Seems a bit thin, like the bass needs to have more low end. I noticed it as soon as the bass entered in ROA. But it's very clear, overall. And I think Joe looks great with his long, grey hair!

Phil wearing a shirt really threw me off. Mix was pretty unacceptable for a big time band like that. With that said, I'm glad they are still playing live. It's a real treat to see them.

LOVED IT! Def Leppard in the Studio Recording Guitars is one thing (they use less Gain and Layer Guitars note by note sometimes which is a cleaner clearer sound which works beautifully for Studio work) but LIVE they always used more Gain, its just the nature of ROCK N ROLL!! Who doesnt love Gain? Are you kidding me! Phil has always been the one to pull of those fast runs which sound repetitive, its just his thing, that is why they work so well with Viv who is more Bluesy and laid back, just like it worked with Steve back in the day, he had his own repetitive runs for Solos, but was more in the Jimmy Page Vibe (hit or miss), I think that has always been the essence of Def Leppard, Rock N Roll, sometimes its perfect sometimes its not, but it sure is LIVE and LOUD and with GREAT TUNES!

Man, startin’ to look like a Blabbermouth comment section in here….. o_O

Way too much tearing of other people down in the world lately. It’s like a percentage of the population went “Fuck it, everything sucks, everyone sucks.”

We’re also hearing a mix mostly certainly not done by anyone working for the band, meant for the room, not for a video. :rolleyes:

We
Great analagy -
played golf for many years - all the power is in a balanced even swing that maximizes the physics of swinging a hinged (wrists) instrument (arms/club) around a grounded (feet) rotating center (upper body). Always funny to watch a muscley athletic semi-golfer (trying mightily to muscle a drive 200 yds) playing with a petite practiced lady golfer with an effortless easy swing motion blasting her ball 40yds+ past Mr Muscles).
club head speed.

Edit: my 16 y.o. daughter who plays competitively can out drive (really, out everything) me.

Last edited:
Way too much tearing of other people down in the world lately. It’s like a percentage of the population went “Fuck it, everything sucks, everyone sucks.”

I couldn’t disagree more. Your comment is implying that music criticism is invalid, because it can be negative. What you’re really saying is that you just don’t agree with the negative criticism of these videos. I’m sure there are plenty of videos of bands that you could offer negative critique for, and that would be totally fine, and part of honest and intelligent discussion.

It’s also like saying forums are properly like a self-affirmation group or something, where any writing that offers a critique that is negative is improper, gosh, misunderstanding, or malevolent in some kind of way. I offer the counter thought to to this, that a critique may in fact be based on values, not trolling. What I saw in the live performance and the music video promoting their new song stirred genuine feelings that I’ve dedicated my life to, and sacrificed a lot to, and this forum is a place where we’re here to talk about our thoughts and feelings about all aspects of music. I’m sure if the right topic arose for you you’d be just as critical.

We

club head speed.

Edit: my 16 y.o. daughter who plays competitively can out drive (really, out everything) me.
yep - I fussed and obsessed with my golf swing for decades - hitting a ball a long way accurately has almost nothing to do with muscle mass - all timing / momentum / leverage. And the timing is not something most people can force / learn - the more I learned to let the body do what it wants to instinctually, the better I played. Best concept I ever came accross as a "thought / mental image" to persue in golf is the "skipping a stone on water" move that we all recognize from our youth - that is, to me, the essance of the golf swing but on a different plane, and something most did pretty naturally without much practice. There's a whole industry built up around the "overthinking" of the golf swing, but, as in my case, it can take a lot of years of education to teach yourself that you are over thinking it.

Last edited:
I couldn’t disagree more. Your comment is implying that music criticism is invalid, because it can be negative. What you’re really saying is that you just don’t agree with the negative criticism of these videos. I’m sure there are plenty of videos of bands that you could offer negative critique for, and that would be totally fine, and part of honest and intelligent discussion.

It’s also like saying forums are properly like a self-affirmation group or something, where any writing that offers a critique that is negative is improper, gosh, misunderstanding, or malevolent in some kind of way. I offer the counter thought to to this, that a critique may in fact be based on values, not trolling. What I saw in the live performance and the music video promoting their new song stirred genuine feelings that I’ve dedicated my life to, and sacrificed a lot to, and this forum is a place where we’re here to talk about our thoughts and feelings about all aspects of music. I’m sure if the right topic arose for you you’d be just as critical.
I think in the world of critics there are qualified and unqualified critics. The motive of the critic is important.

Just not my cup of tea? Thats fine. Discuss why.
I can't do it/jealous of success/sour grapes? That says more about the critic than the band.

Some of the criticisms, theres literally NOTHING at all the critic liked? Or Disliked? It was either complete garbage or a grand slam? I'm not sure how someone can watch that video and say either. There's plenty to discuss, at least among people who choose to be fair.

Sometimes I wonder if seeing both sides in most situations is a character flaw or is it the other way around????

I think in the world of critics there are qualified and unqualified critics. The motive of the critic is important.

Just not my cup of tea? Thats fine. Discuss why.
I can't do it/jealous of success/sour grapes? That says more about the critic than the band.

Some of the criticisms, theres literally NOTHING at all the critic liked? Or Disliked? It was either complete garbage or a grand slam? I'm not sure how someone can watch that video and say either. There's plenty to discuss, at least among people who choose to be fair.

Sometimes I wonder if seeing both sides in most situations is a character flaw or is it the other way around????

I don't question anyone's motives when it comes to music criticism. I'm reading from this just that you're saying you liked the videos and you're questioning the motives of those who disagree, because you feel like it was empirically good. I disliked the videos for a lot of reasons, and I was voicing my gut reaction. Any groups you've ever thought had a bad performance for any reason? Did that mean you were jealous of them? You think every famous musician has a good performance every time because of their income? Again, I'm just reading that you liked the videos, you don't understand or agree with why anyone wouldn't, and instead just saying you thought it was cool, you have to imply a ton of shit about the character of anyone who disagrees.

I don't question anyone's motives when it comes to music criticism. I'm reading from this just that you're saying you liked the videos and you're questioning the motives of those who disagree, because you feel like it was empirically good. I disliked the videos for a lot of reasons, and I was voicing my gut reaction. Any groups you've ever thought had a bad performance for any reason? Did that mean you were jealous of them? You think every famous musician has a good performance every time because of their income? Again, I'm just reading that you liked the videos, you don't understand or agree with why anyone wouldn't, and instead just saying you thought it was cool, you have to imply a ton of shit about the character of anyone who disagrees.
Relax dude. It’s a conversation not WWIII. You can win the internet today.
Anyone who doesn’t like the video (or any band) couldn’t possibly be coming from an unfair vantage point and in no way should that ever be explored. Cool?

Yup. The "you're an hater," or "you are just jealous" comments are weak and tired and require no real thought. They are
as vapid as the alleged "negativity" they are trying to call out.

Pretty sure we all have aesthetic preferences. I'm not forsaking mine, nor asking anyone else to forsake theirs because
of the Internet. Hell, I ask my son to critique my cooking on the daily? Why? Because I am a glutton for punishment? Nope.
It's how I can hone my skills in relation to the world I live in. I don't ever get butthurt about it either. I welcome it. :)

Yup. The "you're an hater," or "you are just jealous" comments are weak and tired and require no real thought. They are
as vapid as the supposed "negativity" they are trying to call out.
So those people simply dont exist? My post he answered acknowledges people have legit reasons to not like something. It would be a pretty boring thread if comments were limited to simply
I like it or
I dont like it
And no discussion as to why.

I saw Leppard any number of times with Steve Clarke back in the 80s.

Live Joe was never the strongest but he’s aged well.

I feel, much as I‘m a massive Viv fan, that Phil has become too dominant without Steve and has gone down a cul-de-sac in his playing.

And I think the sustainiac does him no favours.

But then neither he or his bank account asked me!

So those people simply dont exist? My post he answered acknowledges people have legit reasons to not like something. It would be a pretty boring thread if comments were limited to simply
I like it or
I dont like it
And no discussion as to why.

Pretty sure our brother's comments above were about someone (you perhaps) making blanket generalizations about the character
of people who had some critique of the tone, the note choices, and the style.

Critique doesn't have to be personal, or an attack, or loaded with insults. It can be simple thumbs up or down. It can also be a
100 page essay breaking down the entire history of a band and why one moment on Kimmel just highlighted why Def Leppard
is more of a legacy act whose best days or behind them. Kind of like many of us here on the downhill side of life. ;)

I saw Leppard any number of times with Steve Clarke back in the 80s.

Live Joe was never the strongest but he’s aged well.

I feel, much as I‘m a massive Viv fan, that Phil has become too dominant without Steve and has gone down a cul-de-sac in his playing.

And I think the sustainiac does him no favours.

But then neither he or his bank account asked me!

Viv's restraint is really amazing in the context of Leppard. His tone has always been superior to Phil's (in my opinion), and he
can play f'ing circles around Phil. Yet, he just stands there and lays low in the background enjoying the legacy of a band
that gives him a great lifestyle and allows him to do cool projects outside of Leppard.

Back
Top Bottom