Def Leppard On Jimmy Kimmel - Off Air Peformance

I love my axe3, that is not a good guitar sound for a band that has unlimited choices, I'm sorry if no one agrees, that's just very thin and schreechy. Wow, and I thought I wasn't good at dialing in tones. I do not understand his trying to pick faster than what even sounds good. Sounds forced and very uncreative, almost like someone adding in chops on a youtube video play along. Rant over

Hi guys,

I thought this was worth a post on here! I think I can just see Phil's Axe 3 on the side of the stage. Can definitely see his CLR's at the back there. Sounds awesome!

Enjoy!

Just not a fan of their JMP-1/Fractal tone. Nothing beats their Adrenalize live tone. Also, their version of Hysteria during the Adrenalize tour was the best version. Their current versions of songs hasn’t changed in 25 years and it’s just gotten old.

His tone wasn’t that bad. More than anything, his guitar was too predominant in the mix.

Nice to see Joe embracing the gray hair. Still can’t understand wtf he’s singing though. 😂

Last edited:
I saw Def Leppard when they co-headlined with Whitesnake and remember thinking that I’d never heard anyone use as much gain as Phil Collen, and he seems to have that sustainer feedback thing permanently on. I’m a big Def Lep fan, they performed a great set, but Whitesnake blew them away, back when Reb Beach and Joel Hoekstra were on guitar, not sure who is in their current line-up.

In my opinion, Phil’s fast picking technique is slightly lacking to put it politely, and years of hiding behind gain, gain and more gain seems to have made his technique quite sloppy. I guess you get a bit bored of playing the same licks in the same songs for 40 years, but it kind of detracts a bit from the song and the melody. He never really went full on shred mode on the classic albums, and I remember being surprised by that fast run in the Let’s Get Rocked solo. The songs are classics though and he’s earned the right to play how he wants.

I bet if you turned Phil down a bit, you’d find that Vivian Campbell’s tone is much more appealing.

Don’t really think there’s anything wrong with the tone. I do agree that the mix isn’t great. But that’s televised performances for you. What else is new?

Love the band but they stopped being interesting when Steve Clark passed.

They sounded really good. I watched and listened to the JK show with headphones on and the mix was crazy good. It was a wall of sound

Most ppl see racks of Axe Fx III's and I'm seeing the birth of Skynet
Arnold Schwarzenegger Film GIF by Tech Noir

Wow, great! - a real Axefx family there - love the old stuff from DL (1st 2). Whole lotta sustainer goin on there - makes me want one again.

Back
Top Bottom