Def Leppard On Jimmy Kimmel - Off Air Peformance

PS: If you like Def Leppard and similar music from that era, you may also enjoy the band "Tempt". Young guys but with a great appreciation of retro rock. @Larry Mitchell introduced me to the guitar player's dad, who owned a great studio in NYC for many years before retiring. They're currently on tour with Download supporting Tremonti, Iron Maiden, etc.

Great cover! Nice to see young ‘kids’ playing instruments and singing!

Never liked Collen's sound and this time is no exception.

Also: Viv Campbell is a far better guitarist IMO but he is relegated to the golden supporting role, obviously...

Also: Viv Campbell is a far better guitarist IMO but he is relegated to the golden supporting role, obviously...

I think Campbell is amazing. I need to dig deeper into his whole discography. On the other hand, I love a lot of Colleen’s solos. I think he has had the knack for well written solos that really serve the songs; that’s its own gift.

They don’t let Viv play any solos? Not even on the pre Phil songs?

They both trade solos on the latest single, and Viv plays Steve's solos from
the High N Dry and Pyro periods. Since a lot of their live show is heavy with
the Hysteria album it tends to lean in Phil's direction.

Viv is up there in my top 5 Hard Rock guitarists. Plays with a ton of conviction.
He's confessed that Gary Moore was his primary influence growing up.

Yeah Viv’s great. I like his playing a lot more than Phil. Phil’s great too but Viv has the old school roots and vibe. They both put me to shame that’s for sure lol.
Phils writing is off the charts. Id love to be able to play as well as he does too. Im pretty good but Phil is fantastic, touring all these years he always nails his parts.

In the early 80s there were music fans like me that loved hard rock but were not into the more speedy metal sounds like Maiden, JP... (though those seem tame to me now). Def Leppard was a breath of fresh air for us as our 70s hard rock heros were fading a little and euro new wave was everywhere. Here's a blast from the past (83) - Forum discussions getting you down?, take Phil's advice and > > >

Well said. Describes me for sure. I saw them on this tour in Austin. Maybe May 1983? Joe lost his voice. Literally gone. They probably shouldn’t have even gone on that night it was so bad. But the band sounded great.

Last edited:
Bringing this back on track, Def Lep played live on Sirius XM 80s last night. For me, it might be different, since my work has allowed me to become friends with the band and crew, but I really enjoy hearing them play.

PS: If you like Def Leppard and similar music from that era, you may also enjoy the band "Tempt". Young guys but with a great appreciation of retro rock. @Larry Mitchell introduced me to the guitar player's dad, who owned a great studio in NYC for many years before retiring. They're currently on tour with Download supporting Tremonti, Iron Maiden, etc.

Recognize anything in this video of theirs?

It shouldn't be harder to play if you learn to do it correctly. A lot of folks half learn it and act like they are dead lifting something. Louder is better because if you can't hear it in the mix you have a tendency to play harder which makes it impossible to play. I should say - louder - the ability to hear yourself in the mix not necessarily drowning out everyone. Loud based on context. You should play no different in "muscle" regardless of the volume - if that happens that is where gain comes into play. This is small muscle movement sport. Small movements to gain dynamics. Lot of guitar idols played "flawed" which makes them cool but also makes them limited beyond their technique. You know the whole Heartbreaker solo thing. I wouldn't change that - or having Angus study with Yngwie to incorporate diminished lines in For Those About to Rock lol!

I heard a guitar player say he gets gain from his hands....and you surely can, but if that is your practice you are not going to easily play 16trips or 32nd note runs.

Watch the video and you can see how Phil "ramps" up to play his fast lines. It is a "flawed" practice like going "errrrr" before you lift something heavy. This is not a muscle sport...more like golf - strong connection, less force. SRV played "hard" and got great tone but really only cared about 1/4 and 8th notes and if that is the game then cool, it works and in the context of this music it should be all that matters.

Again, I hedge the gain thing everyone is talking about here is more about "confidence" than "this is my ultimate sound."

You see this every day at guitar center. Guy walks in. Guy dimes amps gain with master volume kind of radio volume, and moves right hand like a humming bird while left hand "limps along". Amp feedback. Over and over. Tick tock. Store closes. Next day - same story.

But who knows maybe they want to be a more technical, shreddy, Leopard...who knows...Modeling can be dangerous in the wrong hands lol.
Shred Leppard

Are CLRs still a thing? I haven't seen any stock in a long time. I have a Neo Mk II... It's way too powerful for my use case really, but it does seem to work very nicely with the Axe FX.

They don’t let Viv play any solos? Not even on the pre Phil songs?

Viv gets plenty of solos, often it's 50/50 on the albums since he's been in the band and live he did a few of Phil's solos in the tours after he'd joined the band so it was pretty equal between them - Plus as previously mentioned, he plays any solos Steve originally did

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom