Def Leppard On Jimmy Kimmel - Off Air Peformance

I love a handful of Def Leppard songs, but they lost me after the Hysteria album. I tried to listen, but the style changed so much at a certain point I just couldn't hang with them at all. To my ears it just sounded like the soundtrack to commercials, in the worst way. I totally think people should put out whatever music they feel, but to me it would've been way cooler if they just changed the band name at that point.

But if I go back and listen to Foolin' or Bringin' on the Heartbreak (I guess I'm partial to songs with apostrophes), I think they're an awesome and cool band. Hell, when I think about a song like Women, that just has such a great feel to it, it makes me feel all warm inside. And the end of Gods of War is like the most awesome clean part of a really heavy thrash band. Man, to think of how awesome some of the stuff they've done was.

So I want to listen to more by them, but every time I've tried past the '80s, I just can't deal with it.

One of my favorite bands, Heavy Pettin, came up around the same time and was always compared to them, which, during the '80s, I think, was a compliment in a way. The difference to me is Heavy Pettin's singer made the worst choices in his vocal tone, but they played with a ton of raw attitude, whereas Def Leppard, no matter what, was more polished than that, good or bad.

I vehemently disagree that money, success, chart-topping, fame, Las Vegas residencies, or anything related to those things makes any musician more or less competent, able to tell what good tone or playing, or just plain good. I just think it's totally unrelated. By those measures, Celine Dion must be the most soulful, powerful, and real musician, able to move the most stoic soul, but I'll take Jason Becker for that title any day.

Back to Def Leppard and these videos, I'm trying to work myself up to watching them, but it's a tough one for me.
Adrenalize was a lot like Hysteria because of Mutt Lange. After that, their albums just didn’t sound right and they were made in the mid and late 90s when rock was starting to go extinct. A lot of times, bands have to adapt their sound to fit current music and it just doesn’t sound right sometimes.

I love a handful of Def Leppard songs, but they lost me after the Hysteria album. I tried to listen, but the style changed so much at a certain point I just couldn't hang with them at all. To my ears it just sounded like the soundtrack to commercials, in the worst way. I totally think people should put out whatever music they feel, but to me it would've been way cooler if they just changed the band name at that point.

But if I go back and listen to Foolin' or Bringin' on the Heartbreak (I guess I'm partial to songs with apostrophes), I think they're an awesome and cool band. Hell, when I think about a song like Women, that just has such a great feel to it, it makes me feel all warm inside. And the end of Gods of War is like the most awesome clean part of a really heavy thrash band. Man, to think of how awesome some of the stuff they've done was.

So I want to listen to more by them, but every time I've tried past the '80s, I just can't deal with it.

One of my favorite bands, Heavy Pettin, came up around the same time and was always compared to them, which, during the '80s, I think, was a compliment in a way. The difference to me is Heavy Pettin's singer made the worst choices in his vocal tone, but they played with a ton of raw attitude, whereas Def Leppard, no matter what, was more polished than that, good or bad.

I vehemently disagree that money, success, chart-topping, fame, Las Vegas residencies, or anything related to those things makes any musician more or less competent, able to tell what good tone or playing, or just plain good. I just think it's totally unrelated. By those measures, Celine Dion must be the most soulful, powerful, and real musician, able to move the most stoic soul, but I'll take Jason Becker for that title any day.

Back to Def Leppard and these videos, I'm trying to work myself up to watching them, but it's a tough one for me.

#MuttLange

Each of the band members could own several islands from the revenue generated from Hysteria,
but I can't help but think what the band would have become had they never crossed paths with
the man who had enough balls to cheat on Shania Twain with her best friend. ;)

It's ok, they ended up divorcing their spouses and marrying. #happyendings #whatever

I get the allergic reaction. As soon as any song from Hysteria comes on I skip it, or change the station.

We still have stations, right? :)

High & Dry was the first cassette I ever bought as a youngster. Got me hooked on rock. I saw the Hysteria tour in Peoria, IL - it was mind blowing.

This was strange, to say the least. As others pointed out, especially the fast runs were out of context and he didn't finish at least once when the next section and vocals came. Isn't that overplaying a bit? It just didn't have any balls either. The band was not all tight in the groove.

Guitar tone from Collen: early Def Leppard was not much more than a JCM 800 sound - raw and loud, at least I thought at the time. (Everyone cool played Marshalls and I wanted one, and there was no google to find out). The Hysteria tone was much more refined and smooth, but not heavier, just different. That tone in this video was wth? WTH was he thinking? I'm sorry, it's just one performance and not saying they suck as musicians, but that was terrible.

Maybe, just maybe, guitar tone isnt some metric to measure artists by 🤷‍♂️ If your songs move people, youre doing your job as a musician. As a guitarist, I LOVE a good tone. But I NEVER would pick tone over a good song or good performance. Music isnt a chops/tone contest. Otherwise we'd all play the same and sound the same.

Okay, I finally watched them. I could say a lot, but they just made me feel sad; unfortunately a lot of my assumptions proved true for the way I look at bands that were once cool. I still love a lot of their early stuff.

Okay, I finally watched them. I could say a lot, but they just made me feel sad; unfortunately a lot of my assumptions proved true for the way I look at bands that were once cool. I still love a lot of their early stuff.
To some extent rock and roll IS the energy and attitude of youth - it's a tall order for any band to keep that energy and enthusiasm for 40 years without sliding into nostalgia inc. Also, imo some bands don't translate well to a smaller stage - when I see the caption "DL on Jimmy Kimmel", my expectations aren't hi from the getgo wrt live energy.

Reactions: J.C
It is interesting the comments here about tone. These guys are an 80s hair metal band, not modern at all. I think the sound of the guitar is pretty much the sound of the guitar was back in the day. A loud Marshall with some pedal in front (either a TS or Metal Zone - usually over done). The excessive overdriven sound is the cornerstone of this kind of music - Motley Crue, Twisted Sister, etc. The tone didn't start to change much and become more organic until The Guns N Roses era and then it changed completely after that with modern rock. The mix sounds like a Def Lep mix - guitar front. Phil has always been the kind of sloppy choppy player as a lot of his idols - like Page, so that is what it is...no reason to make it "modern". I mean "Poor Some Sugar On Me" should be left as is not made into "Poor Some Splenda On Me." All in all they kind of sound like what you would expect them to....

It is interesting the comments here about tone. These guys are an 80s hair metal band, not modern at all. I think the sound of the guitar is pretty much the sound of the guitar was back in the day. A loud Marshall with some pedal in front (either a TS or Metal Zone - usually over done). The excessive overdriven sound is the cornerstone of this kind of music - Motley Crue, Twisted Sister, etc. The tone didn't start to change much and become more organic until The Guns N Roses era and then it changed completely after that with modern rock. The mix sounds like a Def Lep mix - guitar front. Phil has always been the kind of sloppy choppy player as a lot of his idols - like Page, so that is what it is...no reason to make it "modern". I mean "Poor Some Sugar On Me" should be left as is not made into "Poor Some Splenda On Me." All in all they kind of sound like what you would expect them to....
great post. I’d say Guns N’ Roses was pretty light on gain actually, it’s deceptive sounding

The thing is, for their most famous albums, they didn't use that much gain, really. Their tones were really full of character. I, as a metalhead, always marveled at how they could have guitar tones that were so powerful but overall lower in gain, and listening to stuff like that really inspired me to explore lower gain stuff. I mean, I'll point out the song Women again. In the chorus especially, the guitar is not that gainy at all, but you've never heard anything bigger! And to me it's just massive and awesome.

From these videos I kept on thinking the tone was very suited to a metal band playing very fast, where, to keep the mix from sounding chaotic, you need to tamp down on character and just focus the sound of the guitar to emphasis definition. I mean, it sounded fine, I guess, but to me, it didn't allow Campbell or Collen's character to shine through; there was simply too much gain. But hell, you're right that it's just tone, that the attitude of the band trumps that at any moment.

About the attitude of youth, I'd point to Bobby Blitz Ellsworth of Overkill (and yes, I'm comparing a thrash band to a cock rock band), but they came up roughly around the same time, and are both still around. Bobby Blitz has more energy than anyone I've ever seen, still. He's amazing and inspiring. There's also what's been said about Dee Snider of Twisted Sister; apparently even modern shows of that band are 100% full of whatever made them great. Even look at a guy like Slash. He had a very cool, kind of James Dean feel on stage when he was making his bones, and he still has the same cool feel on stage, with a pacemaker!

These videos reminded me of seeing Queensryche on the Empire / Rage for Order Suite tour from the 2000s. Geoff Tate walked on stage in this tailored three piece suit; he may have had a pocket watch too; I can't remember for sure. But there was just this stagnant feel, like the whole band had their memory erased of what feel they put across in those albums. I'm not kidding, but as Eddie Jackson was pedaling the low E at the end of Take Hold of the Flame, he actually raised his left wrist to look at his watch. I was in the front row and caught his eye immediately, to which I made a gesture relating the idea, "What the fuck?"

To me, rock and metal are based partly on energy. Energy is something you may naturally lose as you get older, which is fine if you're in finance, or science, or writing, or a ton of other professions. But these people are performing artists. That's a different thing altogether. Your ability to be "in the moment," like an actor, on stage, is essential, or else the performance just lands flat. Everything you do is there to put across the art, and anything you do can help kill it. And I don't think age has anything to do with it. My first show was Sepultura, on the Chaos A.D. tour. This band had the energy of 1,000 suns for their previous tour, and the feel of sheer power on stage, but just a few years later I saw them, and they almost seemed apathetic on stage. God knows why, but whatever it was that propelled them a few years prior was gone, and it was just crushing to witness. I never liked anything they put out after that, and I didn't like much of that album either. But those guys weren't old, and they were just truly starting to become way way more popular.

I think it's all about remembering the awesome things about rock or metal. If you wear a tailored suit and you're letting stylists have their way with you to make you look like a Barbie Doll version of what a "rock star" looks like, you may have forgotten what's awesome about rock. A non-rock comparison again: but look at Anthrax as they were coming up. They dressed like they were going out for ice cream or something, and it always made me respect them. No BS, no putting on airs, no trying to prove something with your fashion, no lying about who you are. They loved what they did, and it showed. That authenticity made them.

Cock rock bands were often co-opted for extensive stylizing, but in the playing itself, for the bands with staying power, there was authenticity in the performance itself. You can just hear the attitude. You can feel Vince Neil selling his soul to the devil on Wild Side. You can feel the STDs in Axl Rose's voice on Appetite for Destruction. You can feel the genius and attitude in George Lynch's playing. To me, that's all inescapably part of these guys' feels, and they were putting it across. These are just a few examples.

But I think of it this way, would the people who wrote and performed their best albums want to be around the people they aged into being? That's the harsh thing; some bands could've retired long ago and gone into finance, or just been on permanent vacation, checking on their investments, but they just keep going like a real band, when it's like a weird facsimile is all that's really left. All I see is endorsements, money, a history in the business, and comfort. I do not see rock 'n roll. I mean, Neil Young, that's a guy with the feel, and heart, and it never goes away, no matter how old he gets. There are people out there who do it right.

Another counterexample I'd add is Steve Vai. He's been around so long, and he's just as much himself as he ever was. I mean, talk about a true and authentic spirit. Paradoxically, compared to most fans, the thing I always loved most that he did was Slip of the Tongue by Whitesnake, which I rightly should be ridiculed for, but that's what hit me haha. But I've always known this is a genius with his own point of view. Always exploring, always honest in his weird, beautiful soul, and that never changes. You just see it and you know. Even if you put him through some carwash of a stylist or something, he's always going to be this weirdo awesome person who's so far ahead of everyone else; his spirit is just that strong.

I used to listen to Def Leppard back in the day. They had good tone. Saw the original line up in 81 or 82. The Hysteria album was really good, well produced, excellent tone throughout. Other than hearing the old songs on the radio I don’t listen to them anymore. I think it’s great they stuck with their drummer and they figured out how to make it work. That was honorable. I’m sure the record company would have preferred they get a new drummer and keep putting out records. When they lost Steve Clark, that was a death blow for the band. Now they’re just making money. I don’t blame them for it at all. I’m happy those old rockers are still able to make a good living.

I think Def Leppard and Motley Crue, Twisted Sister can't be lumped together. The tone issue is that loud amps with lower gain sound much better to most of us, but it's harder to play. What about guys that had unique tone like Stryper, Warren DeMartini from Ratt, and George Lynch from Dokken? Jake E. Lee and there were some others that were always tone hunting, but didn't play with excessive gain. Michael Sweet from Stryper found a huge, bright tone and combined uplifting songs incorporating pop influences such as Journey, Styx, Boston, etc. He found their tone by misusing an old ibanez equalizer, and at one time said they would have backstage with a fan on it because it would get so hot and that was the only one they had early on. These all had good songwriting and I think more talent than anyone in Motley Crue or Twisted Sister. They were more like in the KISS category. I was a teenager during this era and didn't know this all was going to be called hair metal, but I knew the record labels were trying to clone these guys, and some silly bands resulted. At least a silly image, and not real original. I still have to work on playing some of the stuff by the guys I mentioned before it sounds decent, if I haven't played it in a while. Mr. Scary by Lynch is an example of a killer guitar-driven song - instrumental with no vocals.

I disagree, because if you aren't into a genre of music how can you know the differences? I can't tell you, with some styles of music. But Leppard never had a guitar tone like Twisted Sister. As a teenager I listened closely enough and knew the music, so this sounded bizarre. It was like he just turned up the gain like most here are pointing out, and he was at least as prominent in the mix as the vocals, I thought on what I listening to it through on decent speakers.

To me this was equivalent to AC/DC or Led Zeppelin performing their songs with a Metal Zone pedal in front, like you said. That was hilarious, that poor pedal gets not much love.

Last edited:
I think Def Leppard and Motley Crue, Twisted Sister can't be lumped together. The tone issue is that loud amps with lower gain sound much better to most of us, but it's harder to play. What about guys that had unique tone like Stryper, Warren DeMartini from Ratt, and George Lynch from Dokken? Jake E. Lee and there were some others that were always tone hunting, but didn't play with excessive gain. Michael Sweet from Stryper found a huge, bright tone and combined uplifting songs incorporating pop influences such as Journey, Styx, Boston, etc. He found their tone by misusing an old ibanez equalizer, and at one time said they would have backstage with a fan on it because it would get so hot and that was the only one they had early on. These all had good songwriting and I think more talent than anyone in Motley Crue or Twisted Sister. They were more like in the KISS category. I was a teenager during this era and didn't know this all was going to be called hair metal, but I knew the record labels were trying to clone these guys, and some silly bands resulted. At least a silly image, and not real original. I still have to work on playing some of the stuff by the guys I mentioned before it sounds decent, if I haven't played it in a while. Mr. Scary by Lynch is an example of a killer guitar-driven song - instrumental with no vocals.

I disagree, because if you aren't into a genre of music how can you know the differences? I can't tell you, with some styles of music. But Leppard never had a guitar tone like Twisted Sister. As a teenager I listened closely enough and knew the music, so this sounded bizarre. It was like he just turned up the gain like most here are pointing out, and he was at least as prominent in the mix as the vocals, I thought on what I listening to it through on decent speakers.

To me this was equivalent to AC/DC or Led Zeppelin performing their songs with a Metal Zone pedal in front, like you said. That was hilarious, that poor pedal gets not much love.
The biggest thing here is that all over the 80s things were over processed so it really tends to become a moot issue as far as gain. So many bands over processed tones after the fact. My point was not to say TS sounded like DL it was of "this was common practice" of the time. Over EQ, over processing. Here is the thing, I tracked for a lot of metal bands back in that time. It was usually a case of "the rig" was set up a certain way - over fuzzed out really. But the finished product didn't sound like that. Andy Timmons has said this about his deal with mesa. He was with Laney and the deal with mesa hadn't hit yet, but the deal did once the album was going to be released. They EQ'd the tracks to sound like mesa amps and in fact they do! I have seen all kind of crazy stuff - sound men with dirt boxes under the console - lol! The biggest difference would be bands that use exactly the same set up as when they recorded - and that is not practical unless you are a metal player who hasn't worked since 1987. I probably tracked alot of "private party" sessions and things are never going back to 1985 - unless you are one of the few and rare bands still around that actually play loud, but even like Joe Bonamassa - prob the loudest player lately - he has dialed it way back as well. All in all - and to sign out here because I think it is kind of nit picky - I really do not thing it sounded all the bad. I listened to the feed in my studio and it was flat and unprocessed and that is most likely what you are hearing. It is not ideal, but not horrible. The only way it would sound "just like the record" is if you put on the record - lol. Lots of the old records sound good because we haven't heard them in a while and some sound good because of context, and some is the actual player. Dep Lep never really stuck me as a "wow these are virtuoso players" and they still don't. A sound can't change that.....roar on with this one...

The biggest thing here is that all over the 80s things were over processed so it really tends to become a moot issue as far as gain. So many bands over processed tones after the fact. My point was not to say TS sounded like DL it was of "this was common practice" of the time. Over EQ, over processing. Here is the thing, I tracked for a lot of metal bands back in that time. It was usually a case of "the rig" was set up a certain way - over fuzzed out really. But the finished product didn't sound like that. Andy Timmons has said this about his deal with mesa. He was with Laney and the deal with mesa hadn't hit yet, but the deal did once the album was going to be released. They EQ'd the tracks to sound like mesa amps and in fact they do! I have seen all kind of crazy stuff - sound men with dirt boxes under the console - lol! The biggest difference would be bands that use exactly the same set up as when they recorded - and that is not practical unless you are a metal player who hasn't worked since 1987. I probably tracked alot of "private party" sessions and things are never going back to 1985 - unless you are one of the few and rare bands still around that actually play loud, but even like Joe Bonamassa - prob the loudest player lately - he has dialed it way back as well. All in all - and to sign out here because I think it is kind of nit picky - I really do not thing it sounded all the bad. I listened to the feed in my studio and it was flat and unprocessed and that is most likely what you are hearing. It is not ideal, but not horrible. The only way it would sound "just like the record" is if you put on the record - lol. Lots of the old records sound good because we haven't heard them in a while and some sound good because of context, and some is the actual player. Dep Lep never really stuck me as a "wow these are virtuoso players" and they still don't. A sound can't change that.....roar on with this one...
I meant to say something to this effect in my post, and I realize they couldn't play at full volume. Since they had/have Fractal Ax3's, I just thought a JCM preset would have sounded better, and more like their recorded tones. My point was just that the guitar tone was so different to my ears that it sounded like it fit with a different band from that era. They aren't virtuosos, and neither is AC/DC, but the straight ahead guitar tone that is not high gain would "fit". That is all. I appreciate your insight into recording and things you have observed from that time period.

So they could have pulled up the stock JCM800 preset on the Fractal, and sounded fine. If the feed I heard was unprocessed, then maybe I'm wrong, I am not afraid to be wrong. They might have leveled the vocals to the guitar and it sounded okay, you are right. I did not think of that or consider it. Thanks!

I meant to say something to this effect in my post, and I realize they couldn't play at full volume. Since they had/have Fractal Ax3's, I just thought a JCM preset would have sounded better, and more like their recorded tones. My point was just that the guitar tone was so different to my ears that it sounded like it fit with a different band from that era. They aren't virtuosos, and neither is AC/DC, but the straight ahead guitar tone that is not high gain would "fit". That is all. I appreciate your insight into recording and things you have observed from that time period.

So they could have pulled up the stock JCM800 preset on the Fractal, and sounded fine. If the feed I heard was unprocessed, then maybe I'm wrong, I am not afraid to be wrong. They might have leveled the vocals to the guitar and it sounded okay, you are right. I did not think of that or consider it. Thanks!
No worries...I think we are kind of at similar places regarding the Def Lep Caper!

A few bands are still like ACDC and even they have changed. But they still play loud and that helps - tone wise. Sometimes the volume/modeler thing gets clouded. Not always - but in a lot of cases if you take an AXE preset and pump it up loud in an analog format (power amp and cab - not FRFR) it still can be gainy vs taking say an EVH head or something with lots of gain and cranking it, the gain seems to "smooth" out (sometimes), even when it is excessive.

I personally understand where they might have been coming from with the amp choice. I think the JCM models are sometimes not good even at higher volumes. I have had sound engineers explain it to me and it all comes back that power amp / preamp thing that modelers kind of get but kind of miss too. I don't know exactly why, but Marshalls is general can be hit or miss even the real ones. Much less that fenders it seems. Again I don't have any facts about the modeling of Type M vs Type F - its just always seems that way. Lots of it is room reaction and the properties of sound that many guitar players don't care about lol. Sometimes folks go all in or all out. In the real playing world it is nice to have options - even if that means say a Kemper over an Axe or a real Plexi over a QC. It is not always practical but being situation-based is good, if you can. Fractal is great and they are in business to make more business but ultimately it is not always the best solution, nor might be a super lead either.

I think the video was a good example of drawing a line in the sand and compromising a bit. Lots of bands would let their egos not do that. You know say if Joe Bonamassa played Kimmel. He might march in there with the wall of doom lol! Sorry - hypothetical not bashing Joe - he is ok and might not actually do that or would he? :) I saw this funny photo where Joe and his amps were positioned at another venue than his band because of volume - ha!

One last thought I had about the gain issue here, as an aside, is it does come down to a players chops sometimes. I get this with a lot of students who tell me they can alternate pick with lots of gain just fine but clean they can't. This usually means there is technique issue going on and believe me every player has it even the best pickers like PG or YJM.

The biggest issue is there was a misconception in the 80s that you need loads of gain to pick - but you shouldn't and if you do it might really sound ugly. Now some players use a lot of gain but their technique is "tuned" to it and they make it work, but they most likely can play those killer lines without it - it just doesn't have the same effect. And it can be counterproductive to practice say PG lines unplugged just to toughen up your chops only to go to the mega gain setting and realize your muting sucks lol. It is another way to look at the context of the music.

So it could very well be Phil's choice is kind of a security thing because of where he chops are at - again another "band compromise"....to me that is WHAT does stand out from the video that is a little "out of place". The fast picked lines that are kind of placed all over the tunes. Musically he seems to want to add those in and maybe his feeling is the only way that is reliable for him is with certain settings. I can't say for sure. But watching it and having taught so much mechanics around playing, it sure seems that way. Playing fast is not hard and I have never found a player that learned to hear what they were playing that could not shred fast lines - it comes down to desire to want to play that way. There are a lot of ways to play fast and the music/context dictates the technique not the other way around.

I have rambled so much but I'll say one more thing that Guthrie Govan said about his first teaching students who wanted to play "technical". They came to him sounding great and when he started to explore technique/theory/modal playing with them (stuff outside of minor pentatonic rock playing), they started to sound worse with more knowledge!

Forced.

And man that is the struggle right there with students lol.

Peace man - good talking with you and sorry for all the blubbity blabber.

Bingo.

Overly-compressed dumpster fires do wonders for poor alternate picking and legato runs.
It shouldn't be harder to play if you learn to do it correctly. A lot of folks half learn it and act like they are dead lifting something. Louder is better because if you can't hear it in the mix you have a tendency to play harder which makes it impossible to play. I should say - louder - the ability to hear yourself in the mix not necessarily drowning out everyone. Loud based on context. You should play no different in "muscle" regardless of the volume - if that happens that is where gain comes into play. This is small muscle movement sport. Small movements to gain dynamics. Lot of guitar idols played "flawed" which makes them cool but also makes them limited beyond their technique. You know the whole Heartbreaker solo thing. I wouldn't change that - or having Angus study with Yngwie to incorporate diminished lines in For Those About to Rock lol!

I heard a guitar player say he gets gain from his hands....and you surely can, but if that is your practice you are not going to easily play 16trips or 32nd note runs.

Watch the video and you can see how Phil "ramps" up to play his fast lines. It is a "flawed" practice like going "errrrr" before you lift something heavy. This is not a muscle sport...more like golf - strong connection, less force. SRV played "hard" and got great tone but really only cared about 1/4 and 8th notes and if that is the game then cool, it works and in the context of this music it should be all that matters.

Again, I hedge the gain thing everyone is talking about here is more about "confidence" than "this is my ultimate sound."

You see this every day at guitar center. Guy walks in. Guy dimes amps gain with master volume kind of radio volume, and moves right hand like a humming bird while left hand "limps along". Amp feedback. Over and over. Tick tock. Store closes. Next day - same story.

But who knows maybe they want to be a more technical, shreddy, Leopard...who knows...Modeling can be dangerous in the wrong hands lol.

Back
Top Bottom