Banned from TGP

Status
Not open for further replies.
@JiveTurkey I'm catching up, disappointmented to see The Thread shut down and the ban. I always thought the humor was obviously tongue in cheek and the typical friendly jabs that you'd expect a group of guys to be throwing at each other.... While also being truthful about the QCs issues.
Not that I feel like defending TGP at all but as someone who's spent a long time in the moderation game - that sort of thread is really tough. What are jokes on the inside can look like a problem from the outside, and it only takes a handful of people not in on the jokes to come in and shove the whole thing over from friendly ribbing to open conflict. This cycle can only happen so many times before it's easier to shutter the thread than deal with the collision of cliques.

Not that I feel like defending TGP at all but as someone who's spent a long time in the moderation game - that sort of thread is really tough. What are jokes on the inside can look like a problem from the outside, and it only takes a handful of people not in on the jokes to come in and shove the whole thing over from friendly ribbing to open conflict. This cycle can only happen so many times before it's easier to shutter the thread than deal with the collision of cliques.
Sure I get that. BUT banning people for letting them know a NDSP Mod is not being truthful while letting said mod run wild, is wrong

Are we inherently small and inferiour creatures who compulsively need to
identify with something deemed larger than ourselves so we can sleep at
night?
We are inherently tribal creatures. We evolved in a world where our survival depended on banding together in small groups and knocking the crap out of everything else. It’s at the root of “The product we use is better that yours,” and “Our football team is better than yours.” Tribal thinking is the biggest impediment to the success of a modern, large-scale civilization.

I understand, but what's wrong with this? Are we so thin skinned that people just can't just ignore it?

Anyone seriously considering the QC would spend 5 minutes on that thread and realize it's complete nonsense and move on. It was cat memes and awfully bad MS paint photoshops more than actual QC discussion.

We are inherently tribal people. We evolved in a world where our survival depended on banding together in small groups and knocking the crap out of everything else. It’s at the root of “The product we use is better that yours,” and “Our football team is better than yours.” Tribal thinking is the biggest impediment to the success of a modern, large-scale civilization.

As are losing sense of humor and humility. If you have your wits about you, tribalism doesn't turn into war (or in this case, petty bans)

I understand, but what's wrong with this? Are we so thin skinned that people just can't just ignore it?
Pretty much, yeah. A joke between a half dozen cliquey friends won't survive when a hundred daily actives are also in that same thread. Some people think this is a new dynamic or people are "losing sense of humor and humility" but I guarantee you, humanity never had such things at any scale that mattered. The problems amplify further with scale -> the more people get involved, the more prone any conversation is to simply implode. Large scale social media showed us what happens when you leave the conversation scale completely unbounded. It's not good.

You cannot apply "me and my mates disagree all the time and it's fine" mentality to these scaled-up communities and conversations. It does not and cannot work that way. Even that stupid notification bell, the same one that has me responding to you in ten minutes' time, is a corrupting factor.

(I must reiterate at this point that I'm making generalizations and not commenting on the particular thread or any moderation decisions at TGP.)

Pretty much, yeah. A joke between a half dozen cliquey friends won't survive when a hundred daily actives are also in that same thread. Some people think this is a new dynamic or people are "losing sense of humor and humility" but I guarantee you, humanity never had such things at any scale that mattered. The problems amplify further with scale -> the more people get involved, the more prone any conversation is to simply implode. Large scale social media showed us what happens when you leave the conversation scale completely unbounded. It's not good.

You cannot apply "me and my mates disagree all the time and it's fine" mentality to these scaled-up communities and conversations. It does not and cannot work that way. Even that stupid notification bell, the same one that has me responding to you in ten minutes' time, is a corrupting factor.

(I must reiterate at this point that I'm making generalizations and not commenting on the particular thread or any moderation decisions at TGP.)

I get your point. Though I disagree with some nuances that I don't have time to dive into.

In the specific case of this thread, it was as harmless and serious as a celebrity Tabloid.

I also get that NDSP can claim that their livelihood is at stake. I respect that. But it's wrong to blame the peanut gallery and try to hide criticism. Look inward and blame NDSP upper management for rushing when it wasn't ready.

Do people that are really into smoothies identify themselves by their blender?
yup - here's a baking forum thread with pages of discussion about blender nuances. Picking a random post reveals blender identity lock-in:

"I kind of like my white one! My friends, who have a great multi-color tile backsplash in their fab kitchen, have a Muppet-green KA mixer and blender. They always make me smile. I did see on YouTube that people have been known to paint their mixers to update their decor. If I did that, I'd have to go with bright pinkish copper, which I love."

This is what makes the world turn eh!

yup - here's a baking forum thread with pages of discussion about blender nuances. Picking a random post reveals blender identity lock-in:

"I kind of like my white one! My friends, who have a great multi-color tile backsplash in their fab kitchen, have a Muppet-green KA mixer and blender. They always make me smile. I did see on YouTube that people have been known to paint their mixers to update their decor. If I did that, I'd have to go with bright pinkish copper, which I love."

This is what makes the world turn eh!

The Kitchen-Aid vs. Viking vs. Vita-Mix wars are real!!!

TGP banned me simply because the screen name I chose is the "brand name" that I have applied to the later guitars I've made AS A HOBBY. Which is Matthews Guitars. Because Matthew is my middle name and my last name is common and already in use as a cheap Chinese guitar brand.
So, because some TDP yammerhead moderator figured that I MUST be making guitars as a business, I should pony up a few hundred bucks a year to become a commercial level sponsor in order to continue to post.
I questioned that line of reasoning. I ridiculed it. I explained that I've never gone into business and the only people who have any of my guitars are literally myself, family members, and a few friends. Having a logo has never been about making a business of lutherie, it's just been about making my guitars look finished and professional. And while I WOULD thus be more prepared to "go pro" if I ever should decide to do so, the fact is that I haven't done so. I build for a hobby, for relaxation, for the challenge of it. For ego boosting when it goes well. But I don't want to enslave myself to meet a production schedule. No way.

I got banned for both commercial activities and being disrespectful to a monkey. (Excuse me...anywhere else I'd call him a moderator.)
But he's a monkey.

😄😄

I know it's not possible but if that forum were to burn to the ground, I'd just shake my head and laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom