Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 16.00 "Cygnus"

Quick question are the versions of amps i.e. the Friedman BE V1, V2 and V3 relating to the different model version from different amp updates in firmware changes? Or something else? And if so is the V3 the cygnus version?

They are different versions of the real amps with specific switch settings.
Perfect thank you. So are all the versions of the models listed in the firmware change log updated? if it says its updated the Friedman BE/HBE is that all brown eye and hairy brown eye models?

"Fixed popping when switching channels in Drive block in rare cases."

When I go from a drive block to a clean I get a loud pop every time. I thought this was supposed to be fixed. We can't have that on professional equipment that's supposed to be used in live settings.
Start a thread in the same sub-forum with the BUG? prefix and report what you observe. A BUG report will be investigated and fixed. A complaint on page 24 of a lengthy thread could easily be lost and not taken up. And ... - please be polite.

Dumb question: If I make a brand new preset from scratch, does a new amp block I add to it use the new Cygnus default settings, or do I have to reset it? I have a vague memory that some block types use the last settings you used, not factory defaults. ....if I only had a brain....

Last edited:
Dumb question: If I make a brand new preset from scratch, do a new amp block I add to it use the new Cygnus default settings, or do I have to reset it? I have a vague memory that some block types use the last settings you used, not factory defaults. ....if I only had a brain....
If my brain is properly engaged, there is nothing to reset.
I seem to recall that the only thing that carries over from the last amp used is the type. Not settings.

Just jumping in again to say thanks to Cliff for all of his epiphanies and dedication to creating these works of wonder, and to the entire FAS team for their hard work in making all of this goodness a reality. Sooooo many smart people! Just humbling.

I was a huge fan of the Ares platform. I had seen many comments about how it took modeling to another level. That it was more "accurate" in terms of replication of the amps that were modeled after. Many comments about how it would virtually match amplifiers/cabs owned by those in the Fractal community. I never felt it lacked anything in particular, so I never felt I was missing anything.
Bring on Cygnus.
Yes, Cygnus sounds awesome! But, is it because it's another step towards perfection of virtual amplifiers, or is it an enhancement beyond what you could expect from the amplifier that it is modeling? Was Ares "less close" to perfection compared to Cygnus? Is there ever a point where you could just say "This is it!. It doesn't get any better than this!" ? It's so damn close now, I don't think anyone could guess any better than a flip of a coin, which is a physical amp and cab, and which is Cygnus modeling. But I felt the same way about Ares. Maybe my 50 year old ears are are too shot to know the difference. In that case, ignorance is bliss.

I think the sound was already nailed with Ares, the iii brought much in terms of 'feel' and that final 10% of the little things that were missing....the FEEL....the chug, the compression, the amp in the room, the wapoosh.....the interaction of guitar and amp...

And maybe there is a final 2% somewhere in there still to be discovered, but it's so good now, in terms of sound AND feel that I don't think anyone can complain anymore

I think the sound was already nailed with Ares, the iii brought much in terms of 'feel' and that final 10% of the little things that were missing....the FEEL....the chug, the compression, the amp in the room, the wapoosh.....the interaction of guitar and amp...

And maybe there is a final 2% somewhere in there still to be discovered, but it's so good now, in terms of sound AND feel that I don't think anyone can complain anymore
Agreed. I just can’t understand why whenever an amazing leap in modelling is achieved, some people feel the need to complain about the PREVIOUS firmware. What, do they expect the sound to get worse??

I used Cygnus and the 5153 blue 50w at rehearsal the other night for quiet a few songs and it sounded awesome, the other guitarist in the band us a die he'd Van Halen fanatic and he commented after 2 songs that the sound was huge and so Eddie like he needed to buy an FX3.. It really is an awesome tool. 👍🏿

Back
Top Bottom