[Planned] Support for Set Lists?

JamesBWood

Inspired
Is there a provision with the Axe III for alternate mapping of presets? My bands tend to vary the set lists from venue to venue based on length of gig or target audience. It would be nice to store mappings of the patches and then refer to a saved set of mappings rather than re-organize patches 2 or 3 times a week.

Thanks!

jbw

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/what-do-you-folks-do-for-gig-setlists.140350/

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/songs-and-setlists.135754/

i highly recommend using an app-based approach with an iPad, tablet, etc.

even if the Axe3 had a Setlist feature, i can't see people enjoying the experience with the current hardware, scrolling through hundreds of presets on the front panel at the gig to change things up.

iPads, etc. have touch interfaces, copy/paste, and so many other ways to do things so fast. even share the setlist with bandmates through the same app or a PDF file. setup each song to pull up a specific preset when you tap the song on the ipad. put Midi change buttons on the screen and tap them to change presets or scenes too.

BandHelper is my choice for this. (SetListMaker is the standalone version). get everyone in the band onto the same account, share setlists, chords, lyrics, notes and more.

you do need some sort of MIDI communication from the phone/tablet to your Axe, but there are wireless and wired solutions available.

This would be awesome.
On my AX8 I just kept the patches needed on a folder on my mac and would clear out the banks and reload in the correct order as needed before the gig. Slow but it worked.

Last edited:
Nope.

I don't want to play with tablets during a show - just a foot controller. I'm thinking in terms of the (not yet released) FC board - which I believe does NOT take a midi input - nor can I walk back to my rig and do a MIDI change there; a good chance both hands will be busy and that I'll need to be face into a mic on the opening beat of the next song.

What the new AXE needs is the provision to store multiple (16) mappings of (up to 99) presets (after all, you can store custom scales - that's a pitch mapping) that can be edited from the front panel or via the Editor software. Then give users the option of a direct mode (no mapping) or a mapped mode (choose your map from a list). Really just a simple one-to-one translation table from 1-99 to 99 user specified patch numbers.

jbw

Yay! I've been referenced :D

FWIW, I use one jack-of-all-trades preset with a couple scenes and use my iPad with OnSong for lyrics and such. Apparently it can control MIDI as well, but I haven't really tapped into that feature yet; but I imagine I could hook the iPad to my FCB1010 and have it change scenes and presets per song. I'm a pretty simple player though, so no need, really.

Now, if I were more into copping the EXACT tone of a given song every time, then I'd be a bit more picky.

The MFC 101 had a Song/Set mode with 10 Sets, each with a maximum of 50 songs. And each Song could contain a list of presets (which was somewhat un-useful to me, as I use one preset per song).

What I would like to see is...... (long post ahead)

A new 'Steps' function included with Song/Sets.

Storage for at least 10 sets, with individual Set names (more if possible?) Each set could contain up to 50 songs, with individual Song names. Each song could contain a list of at least 32 'Steps' with Presets as well as Scene selections included. You could step through that 'Steps' list ('Next Step') with a single button. Also include a 'Last Step' function (in case you go too far), that can be assigned to 2nd switch or, press and hold the 1st switch to switch between 'Last Step' and 'Next Step'?? And also include an optional 'Next Song' command for the last 'Step' in the list. This will allow you step through every Preset and/or Scene of the entire set with a single button. Other than 'IA' switching and expression pedal stuff, of course.

This would work for people that use presets per song, a few presets, or even just one preset throughout the whole set.

Example 1 (single preset)....

Song 1...
  1. Step 1-preset 1, scene 1....
  2. Step 2-preset 1, scene 4....
  3. Step 3-preset 1, scene 1...
  4. Step 4-preset 1, scene 2....
  5. Step 5-next song....
Song 2...
  1. Step 1-preset 1, scene 3...
  2. Step 2-preset 1, scene 2...
  3. Step 3-preset 1, scene 3...
  4. Step 4-preset 1, scene 2...
  5. Step 5-next song....
  6. Etc.....

Example 2 (multiple presets)...

Song 1...
  1. Step 1-preset 1, scene 1...
  2. Step 2-preset 34, scene 1...
  3. Step 3-preset 18, scene 1,...
  4. Etc....
  5. Step ?-next song....
Song 2...
  1. Step 1-preset 41, scene 1...
  2. Step 2-preset 11, scene 1...
  3. Step 3-preset 1, scene 1....
  4. Step 4-preset 18, scene 1...
  5. Etc....
  6. Step ?-next song....

Example 3 (multiple presets and scenes)...

Song 1...
  1. Step 1-preset 3, scene 1...
  2. Step 2-preset 3, scene 4...
  3. Step 3-preset 18, scene 1...
  4. Step 4-preset 3, scene 4...
  5. Etc.....

Last edited:
I like the idea of steps, but I'm not crazy about incorporating "next song" into the steps.

The main modifiers I would add to your idea would be to have "Step INC/DEC" options as well as "Song INC/DEC" - that seems like a good balance. Then you could effectively have your entire evening mapped out to 4 foot switches if, for instance, you were using the FCB1010 or another non-Fractal MIDI pedal.

Moke -

More complicated than what I need - but interesting. I'm good just advancing through a sequential 'set list' of songs and selecting scenes as needed within the preset.

I see an issue with including preset changes, scenes are seamless - presets are not. Unless that's no longer an issue with the III? The FC series are just supposed to be dumb controllers, so the programming would take place on the III itself.

I'd love to hear some feedback from Fractal on this.

jbw

The Steps thing would be very intuitive. this is the same functionality that my Korg Kronos has. you set the song up once, and then you just click a single button to work through the song. no more remembering if the solo is on scene 3 or 4 or whatnot. just keep it super simple for performance. my old brain likes simple.

and I like the song Inc/Dec idea as well. That seems like the right combination.

Big +1 on this steps idea! That's actually kind of the way I use scenes, but it forces me to create scenes with the exact same settings, which is kind of a waste!

Actually I'm pretty sure that the FC's support this! Think about it: The FC-6 only has 6 switches, right? For it to be usable Cliff has to implement features which allow one switch to do many jobs at once. Other switches need to be static like a tuner switch, which always has to be accessible etc. 6 switches isn't a lot.

I already kind of implemented this in my custom MIDI controller I built for my Ultra. I'm already thinking about rewriting the software for the II to get exactly this feature Moke calls steps. It's the one biggest complaint I have about the II + MFC combination.

The thirst is real and has been real for a very long time. I'm afraid you are just not going to be seeing it. Why fractal continues to ignore this glaring oversight in the functionality of the FC's is mind boggling considering how easy the programming task is compared to other things they do. They must have their reasons but it certainly is a major mystery to me why this gaping hole in functionality has been left unaddressed for so long.

My workaround is to create the set list in the AxeFXIII. I have a reserved space my in banks where I copy the appropriate presets, arranging them in whatever order I need. I leave the original instances in a separate bank (arranged in alphabetic order) for simplicity. Been pretty reliable and easy.

The "section" aspect would allow me to iterate through a custom list of scene changes.
For example: Scene 1, Scene 3, Scene 2, Scene 1, Scene 4, Scene 2, Scene 1 ... whatever.
Function switch "Section" Incr and done - this would be a killer feature to eliminate the need to stepdance through views or to memorize scene switches per song.

My workaround is to create the set list in the AxeFXIII. I have a reserved space my in banks where I copy the appropriate presets, arranging them in whatever order I need. I leave the original instances in a separate bank (arranged in alphabetic order) for simplicity. Been pretty reliable and easy.
Exactly what I do - no fuss at all and just needs a single button press to move from song to song. Keep it simple!

The "section" aspect would allow me to iterate through a custom list of scene changes.
For example: Scene 1, Scene 3, Scene 2, Scene 1, Scene 4, Scene 2, Scene 1 ... whatever.
Function switch "Section" Incr and done - this would be a killer feature to eliminate the need to stepdance through views or to memorize scene switches per song.

I've had this thought before too - would be a very interesting thing to be able to do

Exactly what I do - no fuss at all and just needs a single button press to move from song to song. Keep it simple!
Sure there is always a work around but that still does not compensate for the lack of a dedicated set list function.

Another work around is to use the Mapping Scramble Table on the front panel. You get to it via Setup->Midi/Remote->Mapping.

If you use this you don't have to leave space for presets ahead of time and you don't need to copy or delete presets from one location to another.
You just scramble the order of presets in the systems memory.

That's the closest IMO that we can get to a real set-list function on the III/FC but it doesn't have any of the bells/whistles and convenience features of a dedicated setlist utility. For example, you can't store and recall the scramble table after you create it and there is a lot of button pushing instead of just typing into a form.

This functionality already exists and fractal would just need to build a GUI with features to populate it internally but it's obviously not a priority for them no matter how many times AdminM says it's coming "soon".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom