What do you folks do for gig SETLISTS?

Ugly Bunny

Power User
As in, you have a preset for every song your band plays; rather than jumping all around, rearranging everything before every gig, what do you guys do to arrange setlists? Has this been brought up on the wishlist? Or is this something I should figure out with my MIDI controller? Just curious. I would love to have a preset for every song, but until there's a practical way to arrange and utilize, I wouldn't dare lol!

Thanks guys!

Too much dancing around for me....Set lists for me are very dynamic per gig.

I gravitate now towards a couple of "bread a butter" presets that covers a majority of music genres and tailor other presets for particular bands or tunes....ie.."U2"..."Journey"..."Police"..."Steely Dan"...etc

I also have a "Pop disco" preset and a "Blues" preset, with all the effects and variations within scenes and controllers.

I've managed to do this with the AxeII and the Axe8 with heavy use of Scenes, Scene Controllers and Control Switches.

The AxeIII makes it even more easy and manageable!

In my Ultra days....
I was too busy delving into the new Axe technologies and the deep editing features along with the great tones!! LOL

I'd really like to see a feature for setlists in the Axe, including dynamic setlists that can easily be put together from the front panel to deal with scenarios where setlists are more of a single use, throwaway thing for a particular gig.

I use a tablet with 'Setlist Maker'. It sends midi to my Axe-Fx II (soon Axe-fx III), Vocal Harmonizer, and a Laptop running Ableton Live for backing tracks (when applicable).

We have a standard 'bar' set list and a shorter set for bigger shows. It's really easy to deviate from the set by scrolling through the set and touching a song on the list. Then everything changes to the correct presets and I'm ready to go.

When using backing tracks, Ableton sends the Scene changes and some expression pedal commands during the song.

I have been using an app called Setlistmaker for years. Its an IOS and android app. Recently I have switched to a full band version, same basic app same developer but a yearly subscription model Bandhelper.com. Super killer app with a little bit of setup you add all your songs audio clips samples, midi program changes, notes booking info and so on. Thing I like best is once set up and and I arrange a set list I can just tap the next song in the list to switch my controller and the AFXIII to the next song. No more tap dancing.

Last edited:
I use a tablet with 'Setlist Maker'. It sends midi to my Axe-Fx II (soon Axe-fx III), Vocal Harmonizer, and a Laptop running Ableton Live for backing tracks (when applicable).

We have a standard 'bar' set list and a shorter set for bigger shows. It's really easy to deviate from the set by scrolling through the set and touching a song on the list. Then everything changes to the correct presets and I'm ready to go.

When using backing tracks, Ableton sends the Scene changes and some expression pedal commands during the song.
Yeah that ^^^^ LOL.

Are all the devices wired together or can you do it all wirelessly?

Edit:

My band has 3 Axe Fx units in use... Would look to have 1 person be able to send changes to all 3 without running a bunch of cables across the stage.

The video I'm connecting via bluetooth. Yamaha MD-BT01 Wireless Bluetooth 5-Pin MIDI Adapter plugged into the Axe FX midi out which powers the adapter. The other side of the adapter goes to midi in of the MFC then a cord from MFC out to AFX in. So switching a preset from the phone switch both at the same time.

Edit:

My band has 3 Axe Fx units in use... Would look to have 1 person be able to send changes to all 3 without running a bunch of cables across the stage.
It's all wired. I can't trust it wireless. The Tablet is connected to my rig via a midi cable in a snake that goes from my pedal board to the rig. Everything else is all in my rig, all wired up.

The video I'm connecting via bluetooth. Yamaha MD-BT01 Wireless Bluetooth 5-Pin MIDI Adapter plugged into the Axe FX midi out which powers the adapter. The other side of the adapter goes to midi in of the MFC then a cord from MFC out to AFX in. So switching a preset from the phone switch both at the same time.
Thanks... But my needs are more elaborate (you might have been replying while I was editing my post).

How does the Axe Fx III provide power to the BT01?

Edit:

You can run several devices in a master/slave setup. They could each have a tablet or phone close to and wired up to their rigs, setup as 'slaves'. One master device could run it all via Bluetooth.

I'm actually planning on putting a 'slave' tablet permanently in my rig, wired to the midi in and power. And use a master tablet sending to the slave device via Bluetooth.

Just not sure how robust Bluetooth is in a crowded room full of devices?

You can run several devices in a master/slave setup. They could each have a tablet or phone close to and wired up to their rigs, setup as 'slaves'. One master device could run it all via Bluetooth.

I'm actually planning on putting a 'slave' tablet permanently in my rig, wired to the midi in and power. And use a master tablet sending to the slave device via Bluetooth.

Just not sure how robust Bluetooth is in a crowded room full of devices?
Is that a Bandhelper thing?

We all use iPad or iPhone with our IEM mixer and we already use Bandhelper, but currently just for by viewing set lists.

Just before the ending of the current song I look to the left to the bass player, who actually has the setlist. I then press the Preset Menu button on my RJM, which displays all songs in alphabetical order, and select the next song.

EDIT:
I also use BandHelper on an out-of-view iPad, which switches along with the RJM, displaying reminders and lyrics. It acts as a slave, not a master, simply because personally I don't like the looks of musicians on stage tapping their iPads.

The III supports a direct USB connection with the iPad, not needing a USB-to-MIDI-interface such as the UM-One which the II required.

We (as a band) have experienced a few iPad Bluetooth issues in the past. We rely on wired connections these days.
I have only used it for my personal rig, providing the device doesn't go to sleep I've never had an issue. Started using setlistmaker in 2011.

Last edited:
Reactions: yek
Back
Top Bottom