Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 12.00

I mentioned a possible bug, but it got lost amidst some other reported business:
When using the "Reset on Bypass" feature in the phaser, any setting (0, 90, 180, 270) keeps the LFO from actually running for something in the range of 12 beats of the tempo. So I hear it engage, but there is no movement for a good bit of time (~3 measures). Can anyone confirm this? I haven't checked this with the flanger yet.

Are there actually any bugs at all? Most bug reports seem to be ...

The Multiband Compressor high crossover frequency bug is definitely a bug. I didn't check out the other reported ones.
I wait until this is fixed, because I have many presets which contain the M-Comp.

Pick your noisiest single coil guitar, crank up some gain till it hums audibly, and pick a gate block with the downward expander. Notice how it adjusts with the decay of the note and that the hum is practically GONE instead of just gated? Notice as you play you don't really hear any of that hum anymore? You may have to make slight tweaks to get it just right - different guitars respond differently.

It's an single coil players' dream and there is only one other hardware solution other than the axe 3 that I know about. Not a big deal to many, but hum and buzz and noise drives me NUTS!!! Not to mention sounds super unprofessional in one of those super formal events, or with an orchestra or just a loud stage.

It's great that the axe 3 has it because it's tweakable and works great! More options, and less gear to haul around (my decimator pro rack g has been with me on EVERY gig with the axe, and I always wished I could just replace it with a better one in the axe for tweakability and convenience, and that day is here! :) oh happy day indeed!
Whoa...I own an SG junior and it kills...except for the p90 buzz...thank you very much for connecting the importance of this feature.

Reactions: jon

Yup, already done but was pretty sure of the result in advance, it was a just rhetoric question to kinda prove my point.

They can hum do to tube imbalance but they don't add any thermal noise.

Whoa, just tried moving the mismatch knob and it really hums! But it's hearable only with extreme settings, aka skull crusher with input drive, input gain, master, mv trim and level all cranked up

BTW, I just discovered an alternative use of the gate block: swell
Just set the ratio to 20.00, attack around 200ms, hold, release and threshold to taste. More straight forward to set than the volume block attached to the envelope follower

PS: the attack parameter in the input gate doesn't seem to work, bug or it works differently than the gate block?

BTW, I just discovered an alternative use of the gate block: swell
Just set the ratio to 20.00, attack around 200ms, hold, release and threshold to taste. More straight forward to set than the volume block attached to the envelope follower
Yup, gates can be used for this. (Note: there's a built-in swell mode in the Volume block. No need to attach a modifier.)

Yup, gates can be used for this. (Note: there's a built-in swell mode in the Volume block. No need to attach a modifier.)
Totally missed that, thanks!

Anyway, in case you missed it, I added this to my previous post:
PS: the attack parameter in the input gate doesn't seem to work, bug or it works differently than the gate block?
Is this normal? Even with attack set to max the guitar signal always opens the gate quickly (unlike the gate/expander block), it seems it only affects the tone just a bit when the notes decay.

Totally missed that, thanks!

Anyway, in case you missed it, I added this to my previous post:

Is this normal? Even with attack set to max the guitar signal always opens the gate quickly (unlike the gate/expander block), it seems it only affects the tone just a bit when the notes decay.
The input block gate is designed for fast attack.

I'm seeing the updated Flanger models but none of the controls seem to be updated; it's not showing a basic tab or displaying control name changes (e.g. manual). I've updated to the latest versions of Fractal Bot, Axe Edit, Ares Firmware (12.00) and have refreshed after new firmware. I'm on Mac OS Catalina FYI. Is there something else I need to try? If not, is this a known bug?

So, gig tomorrow night but really tempted to update tonight and mess around with it. I guess I have time to go back to 11.2 if necessary. I have another gig on Wednesday so maybe better to wait until Sunday. Decisions, decisions . . . .

So, gig tomorrow night but really tempted to update tonight and mess around with it. I guess I have time to go back to 11.2 if necessary. I have another gig on Wednesday so maybe better to wait until Sunday. Decisions, decisions . . . .

FWIW I also have a gig tomorrow and I just updated to fw 12, FC1.10 and the latest Axe Edit and everything works great.

I'm seeing the updated Flanger models but none of the controls seem to be updated; it's not showing a basic tab or displaying control name changes (e.g. manual). I've updated to the latest versions of Fractal Bot, Axe Edit, Ares Firmware (12.00) and have refreshed after new firmware. I'm on Mac OS Catalina FYI. Is there something else I need to try? If not, is this a known bug?
you've updated to the Release Candidate of Axe-Edit? https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-edit-iii-1-04-02-rc-1.157753/unread

So, let me ask because I always use the gate in the input. Are you saying that putting the gate after the amp is the way to go and gives better Dynamics?

with a gate placed all the way at the end that can use input 1 as a control u don't need an input block gate. With an input block gate, the ramp and speed that it opens with is the transient response the amp will have to eat. With a gate block at the very end, controlled by input 1, the guitar signal stays connected to the amp at all times, the gate stops the signal wherever the gate block is placed, nothing gets between guitar and amp, so when you play and the gate gets the slightest hint of signal (it's listening to input 1 DI straight from the pickups), it opens up the flood gate at the end of the chain and just lets it all roaring through. Might be able to tell a difference, might not. Some might even want a super choppy gate sound in front of the amp deliberately, it's essentially a transient shaper if you tune it right with attack/release. I like the lightswitch dynamic, either bedtime whisper stories or garbage truck coming through the front door, I need the amp already charged and cooking and let the gate release it all at the end...

Possible bug (EDIT: solved)

When I go to change settings on the Controller LFO 1, the parameter with the modifier (motor speed) shows the change in axe edit, but the sound from the speaker does not reflect the change.

I'm trying to recreate the modulated tape (https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...o-tape-delay-w-motor-speed-modulation.157843/) but adjusting LFO controls barely vary the sound I'm hearing, despite axe edit showing changes.

I tried restarting the III, issue persists. I've uploaded the preset I'm using as well.

Attachments

• Bad Delay.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
BUG: Coming from 1102b4, I upgraded and several of my blocks in various presets have lost their values. For example, the drive block channel A was the blackglass, after the upgrade it was set to Rat. The PEQ and Filter blocks completely lost all values. Cab blocks lost the high and low cuts. I reloaded 1102b4 and everything was fixed and back to normal. So I backed up my presets, upgraded to 12 again, same issue. I loaded a backup of the preset and it doesn't show the correct values still in 12. I have the latest AxeIIIEdit off the website, and the latest FC firmware 1.10.

POSSIBLE BUG: I have the drive block set to channel switch on the FC12, using Chan Inc/Dec +1. It only toggles between A and B, never goes to C or D.

Back
Top Bottom