Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 12.00

Well, it amplifies all of the incoming signal, which includes the noise in said signal, so I'm gonna go with yes.
I wrote by itself for a reason..
If the noise is in the incoming signal it isn't produced by the amp, so you can reduce it more efficiently at the input.
(The reason why I wrote "more effeciently" is in one of my posts above)

Last edited:
But, again, does an amp make noise by itself in the axe fx? I don't think so.
I mean due to high gain in addition to the guitar signal. Or drive pedal boosting an amp.

Input gate to reduce guitar noise. Gate after amp block to reduce or control high gain noise for tight rhythmic work.

Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Notes

Added “2x12 Godzilla” Speaker Impedance Curve based on a Zilla Fatboy.

Complete overhaul of the Flanger block. See the included flanger.pdf document for details.

Complete overhaul of the Phaser block. See the included phaser.pdf document for details.

Added separate Filter Slope controls for the Cabinet block. The range of the slopes has been extended to include 18 and 24 dB/octave. Existing presets will be automatically updated to the correct values based on the previous Filter Slope value.

Added separate Low Cut Slope control for Delay block. Updated models accordingly.

Added “FAS Express” amp model based on hypothetical modifications to a Trainwreck Express.

Improved messaging system so that changing presets while Axe-Edit is running does not cause audio dropout (requires Axe-Edit version 1.4.00 or later).

Improved Scene switching speed.

Added LFO Quantize to Filter, Flanger and Phaser blocks.

Added Triggering to Tremolo block. When the Tremolo is triggered the Tremolo will engage and the LFO phase will start at the Start Phase value. This allows easily synchronizing the Tremolo to your playing. Set to “OFF” to defeat the trigger.

Added Optical Tremolo type to Tremolo block.

Addded “Astable” type to LFOs. This simulates an astable Op-amp Multivibrator as is commonly found in effect pedals. “Beta” controls the shape of the LFO. High values approach a square wave while low values approach a triangle wave.

Added Stack/Hold parameter to Plex Delay and Plex Verb types in the Plex block. When set to STACK incoming audio is stacked on existing audio and held. When set to HOLD existing audio is held.

Changed Hold parameter in Delay block to Stack/Hold (see above).

Changed Hold parameter in Reverb block to Stack/Hold (see above).

Added “OD 250” Drive model based on a DOD Overdrive 250 (gray version).

Added adjustable slope to Parametric EQ block for outer bands when type is set to BLOCKING.

Added LFO monitors to Control block.

Drive block EQ now supports placement pre- or post-distortion.

Added “Stereo Mind Guy” delay type.

Added ULTRA-HIGH quality mode to Reverb block. This mode increases the modulation at the expense of a slight increase in CPU usage.

Improved Gate block. New algorithm has less chatter and tighter gating. This is now called the Downward Expander type.

Added Classic Gate type to Gate block. This type is based on the classic noise gate where the gate opens when the Threshold value is exceeded and decays to the Attenuation value when below the Threshold value and the Hold timer has expired. This type offers harder gating and is useful for aggressive styles.

Improved Spring Reverb algorithm. Also added “Boiiinnng!” parameter which controls the “springiness” of the reverb.

Fixed loss of precision in certain amp models (i.e. Plexi 50W Normal) when Input Drive is set very low.

Fixed Align tab in Cabinet block not displaying traces properly after changing channels/scenes from Axe-Edit.
holy crap. fantastic update! thanks so much!

I mean due to high gain in addition to the guitar signal. Or drive pedal boosting an amp.

Input gate to reduce guitar noise. Gate after amp block to reduce or control high gain noise for tight rhythmic work.
Let's see if we can understand each other.. with "high gain noise" you mean noise still produced by your hand on the guitar that are amplified by the amp, not noise that the amp produces by itself, right?

So am I following correctly that, in order to fully utilize 12.00, Axe Edit must be the RC version that’s on the forum.. and advised that the FC FW is 1.10?

The original ADA Flanger had a switch for odd / even harmonics.

How do we select odd or even harmonics with the new ADA flanger in the Axe FXIII?

However, a gate at the beginning of the chain can only eliminate noise coming from the guitar and will do nothing to address any noise coming from an amp when not playing.

I only use the noise gate in the input block with great success. I play in n 80's arena rock band so I do a lot of fairly hi gain sounds. But, I always try to go with the lowest gain I can get away with. No problems with amp noise.

Oh my .....!!!
I haven't been through every new thing in v12.0, but I LOVE the spring reverb and especially the updated phaser block.
FAS Vibe is soooo addictive, add a FuzzFace and go to town, groovy baby !
I rarely use flangers, but I might start using them more often now as they sound stellar after this update.
Love me some FW12.0 !!
Thanks Cliff, for all you do !!

not everything in FW 12 has been implemented into AE yet. "RC" = release candidate

Exactly.. just confirming that is what the current status is since it's yet to be fully implemented.

Any thoughts collectively on when the updates to AE would be complete and no longer RC?

If you want to do super tight staccato "djent" stuff place a gate after the cab and set the sidechain to the input your guitar is using. The input gate has EMI filtering and is great for just about everything else.
So, let me ask because I always use the gate in the input. Are you saying that putting the gate after the amp is the way to go and gives better Dynamics?

Pick your noisiest single coil guitar, crank up some gain till it hums audibly, and pick a gate block with the downward expander. Notice how it adjusts with the decay of the note and that the hum is practically GONE instead of just gated? Notice as you play you don't really hear any of that hum anymore? You may have to make slight tweaks to get it just right - different guitars respond differently.

It's an single coil players' dream and there is only one other hardware solution other than the axe 3 that I know about. Not a big deal to many, but hum and buzz and noise drives me NUTS!!! Not to mention sounds super unprofessional in one of those super formal events, or with an orchestra or just a loud stage.

It's great that the axe 3 has it because it's tweakable and works great! More options, and less gear to haul around (my decimator pro rack g has been with me on EVERY gig with the axe, and I always wished I could just replace it with a better one in the axe for tweakability and convenience, and that day is here! :) oh happy day indeed!
Thanks, @jon ; that is a great explanation and I am indeed stoked. I have been hoping for something that could help with noise reduction in a better way than the existing gate for a long time!

Reactions: jon
Another really fantastic update and great to see the effects get some powerful new options.

This thread contains much confusion. Are there actually any bugs at all? Most bug reports seem to be ...

1. Not understanding how the AxeFx works

2. Not reading the release notes

3. Related to waiting for a final AxeEdit release

4. One or two genuine problems that seem to be one-offs and cannot be reproduced

Back
Top Bottom