Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 12.00 Public Beta

It bears saying a few things here as reminders to all who dare try to update to a BETA firmware...especially if you are a newcomer to our wonderful community where Christmas comes regularly on "firmware Fridays"...

1. This (firmware 12) is a Public BETA firmware. If you are new to Axe-Fx III and not a veteran, you should wait until there is a FINAL Public FIRMWARE (not beta) and not install this.

And when there is a Final PUBLIC firmware it will show up on the Fractal main website here, not on the forum. Right now 11.01 is the current final PUBLIC firmware (non beta).

2. Because you will ignore my advice to wait for a final version, and you want to use the beta now :cool: because of all the new goodies in firmware 12 are irresistible -- (what did Oscar Wilde say? "The only thing I can't resist is temptation itself" or some such?) -- then you should FIRST run a FractalBot BACKUP of EVERYTHING (except User Cabs).

Back up all your presets and system file into a folder you should name "Firmware 11 Backups" -- so it stays separate and you can always revert back. You'll thank me for this one day, I promise.

3. And because you still just can't wait, you'll load the new firmware 12 anyway with FractalBot and you'll start up Axe-Edit III to look at the new goodies, and it won't work right :eek: , because a new updated Axe-Edit III version may not yet be released (since Cliff is running miles ahead of us all).... But, rest assured, an updated one will be coming very soon in most cases. :)

And in this case (yay!) the new Axe-edit III, it is here now, and you should install it BEFORE you update the hardware to firmware 12.... and then you need to go to top drop down menu of Axe-Edit III to select SETTINGS, then REFRESH AFTER NEW FIRMWARE and let it do it's thing.

If that latest beta-compatible Axe-Edit III has issues and seems faulty (rarely, because @Michael Pickens rocks!), remember you can go the main Fractal Audio downloads page and re-install the prior Axe-Edit III version over the newer one.

4. And because this firmware is labeled as Public BETA and not Public FINAL, little things may come up. That's why it's a BETA. You can report them here.

There. That felt good. Seriously, sincerely hope this helps some of you who struggle with this...

This should be a pinned post!

If the block parameters are indeed different in every preset, then you’re absolutely right: globals won’t help.

Thanks,
I've done it now. Been through all my presets and updated the Phaser Block settings. Took me about 90 mins.
I took photos of the previous settings, then on each preset, copied them and then tweaked from there till they sounded right.

Buddy - your post was great and I agree with almost everything, but as a Fractal veteran, I can say based on my experience that this part isn't quite right.

The official (Final PUBLIC) firmware releases almost always drop on the forum first and the official download page often lags behind by a bit - sometimes a few days.

:D
Yes I do know that amigo! Which is why I wrote this for the newcomers - my advocacy is that it is a safer move for a newbie to not update until the final public version is on the main Fractal website as a final public beta.

There is a time lag but one can be generally certain that is the final version at that point it makes it’s way there.

This is all in the spirit of trying to help our new friends here, while pros and vets like you need not wait for that development! Cheers!

Last edited:
Great features... love the Fas Vibe. I m so glad FAS
Is revamping theses effects algorithms. I hope they keep going down this road

Everyone's favourite bearded buddy from down under has done a little vid demoing the new features.

Thanks for doing these Leon, they really do help us hear what Cliff and the team have added

Oh man, now I seriously need need to play with the phaser going into a stack reverb. o_O

Recap:
  1. Download latest version of AE to use with v12 beta: here
  2. If a preset is using a Phaser block, it will automatically be updated and the Edited LED will light accordingly.
  3. Bug: if you have an FC connected and AE performance is very slow, disconnect the FC, then reconnect after a short while.
  4. If AE still is giving problems (Windows), try uninstalling AE and the USB driver, then reinstall.
  5. Possible bug: engaging Hold in Reverb/Delay generates high-frequency clipping/feedback/squeal.
  6. Possible bug: strange characters in Spring Reverb > Advanced page.
  7. Possible bug: missing Basic/Advanced page controls in OD 250 drive type.
  8. Explanation of new Phaser types: here

Last edited:
Question is there a striped Flanger Too
No. The only difference on the stripe phaser vs the block one is the amount of feedback. The flanger Eddie used on those old records is in there, the 117. The EVH flanger is basically a 117 with a normal 18 volt DC power supply (instead of mains) and a button for a pre-set setting.

Buddy - your post was great and I agree with almost everything, but as a Fractal veteran, I can say based on my experience that this part isn't quite right.

The official (Final PUBLIC) firmware releases almost always drop on the forum first and the official download page often lags behind by a bit - sometimes a few days.

:D
While you're correct that firmware final versions are typically released on the forum first, his advice is sound and pretty clear- If you want to avoid potential problems with firmware, use the current version found on Fractal's website.

In this case, it's a matter of semantics as to what PUBLIC means. @austinbuddy seems to be using PUBLIC as the version Fractal deems the most stable and is therefore posted to the website.

Back
Top Bottom