Closed Please more preset room

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I saw the title requesting more preset space I thought it as a joke. I had no idea people would use all the slots up let alone need more. How in the world do you guys keep track of what you have and decide what to use on gigs?

Play in a cover band that has a catalog of about 2,500 songs and you want the exact guitar tone for each I guess.....

between 8 scenes and dual amps et al per preset I’d think like 10-15 presets would probably cover hundreds of songs (let’s face it, most tones work with a variety of songs) if not more...

more so, keep life simple.

let’s face it, new firmware comes out and let’s say you need to update some presets.... how on earth can you realistically update 1000+ presets ?

This is like a loop-deja-vu, because we keep repeating the same questions and answers on and on.
Don't drive angry....
download.jpeg.jpg

I personally don’t gig. I am a bedroom producer so in my use case it make sense to have the space for as many sounds as possible so I can easily recall the ones I remember or quickly audition the ones I don’t. Just as a FYI, Not only gigging musicians use the Axefx 😂😂😂. As a final note, I too am not willing to sacrifice new amps and other enhancements for more preset room. My request was based on it being something simple to implement. I was thinking a pointer to a disk location would be great for auditioning.
In case this isn’t clear, im not just working with rigs that I like...in that case there is plenty of room...on the contrary, I’m working with different genres and many other people’s tastes.

Last edited:
Man, I am so far, far the opposite of all of this. I have just one bank on my AX8 that I use for my cover band gig. I only use 5 of the 8 presets in the bank. It'd be 4 if I could have gotten a synth block to work in one of my other presets but I ran out of CPU. With the Axe-FX III, I can do it all in two presets. I look at 512 presets and wonder what to do with them all.

Man, I am so far, far the opposite of all of this. I have just one bank on my AX8 that I use for my cover band gig. I only use 5 of the 8 presets in the bank. It'd be 4 if I could have gotten a synth block to work in one of my other presets but I ran out of CPU. With the Axe-FX III, I can do it all in two presets. I look at 512 presets and wonder what to do with them all.
same. i'm pretty much a 1 preset guy, duplicates of the same one with slight variations.

i always think how people with 1000 or 2000 presets on the unit can remember what's there and quickly call up that "perfect" preset on stage or in a session.

more is cool. but i wouldn't use it. i try to make a few tones that work in most situations, and i tune them to the band i'm with. if i make a van halen preset based off a recording and my bassist and drummer don't have the frequencies of the recording, it actually won't sound too good in the mix.

I am wondering why someone needs to express opposition to a feature that they would not use.

Slots for presets and CABs are stored in Memory. That is different to Processor capacity, so larger memory for presets would not sacrifice features. Anyway, as it has already been stated, it is a hardware issue that cannot be sorted out. Therefore, the discussion is futile.

BTW, have you ever heard about preset collections like the Austin Buddy 1400+ Naked Amps? 🐘🐘 🐘

I am wondering why someone needs to express opposition to a feature that they would not use.
because adding that feature could remove a feature someone currently uses. that's all. if no one speaks up, it could show that no one likes the current feature set.

If you want more preset space you would have to sacrifice user IR space. Each preset uses the equivalent of two user IRs. There are three FLASH chips on the DSP module: one for presets, one for factory IRs and one for user IRs.
How about an AxeEdit app so we can back up and restore with an Android/Apple smartphone? That would let people swap banks out at the very least.

you do realize that AB’s stuff isn’t 1400 presets right ?

Most of those presets are using 8 scenes, which can give 8 amps per preset
Takes up two full banks. I have mine loaded in 256 - 511. It immediately cuts available locations in half. To be able to swap in different stuff on set break without having to carry any extra gear (many already carry a phone) would be a boon to those whose set list is not chiseled in stone....

Just curious, what is the organizational strategy that y'all use for hundreds and hundreds of patches so that you can even find anything? I can't even imagine a strategy that would be sane to me.
If I had the slots to do it, I'd keep the factory presets and a whole passel of @austinbuddy 's presets in permanent residence on my Axe. When it's time to go exploring, or I'm looking for a particular tone that I don't have dialed in, it's handy to have them right there waiting for me.

Then I'd have a bank or two just for my own stuff. I currently use one bank for that. The top half of the bank is a library of my own presets. The bottom half of the bank is my gigging stuff. I build it for different gigs by copying presets from my top-half library into the bottom half, arranged for that particular gig. I also reserve a dozen or so slots as a working scratchpad. That gives me a system that I can manage from the front panel when Axe-Edit isn't available.

All told, I could eat up eight or ten banks if I had them available.

If I had the slots to do it, I'd keep the factory presets and a whole passel of @austinbuddy 's presets in permanent residence on my Axe. When it's time to go exploring, or I'm looking for a particular tone that I don't have dialed in, it's handy to have them right there waiting for me.

Then I'd have a bank or two just for my own stuff. I currently use one bank for that. The top half of the bank is a library of my own presets. The bottom half of the bank is my gigging stuff. I build it for different gigs by copying presets from my top-half library into the bottom half, arranged for that particular gig. I also reserve a dozen or so slots as a working scratchpad. That gives me a system that I can manage from the front panel when Axe-Edit isn't available.

All told, I could eat up eight or ten banks if I had them available.

+1

I had no trouble keeping the XL with its 768 preset slots organized.
I play in two bands and use a preset-per-song method for several reasons. That's > 100 presets. I make extensive use of Global blocks in these presets.
Like Rex, I'd like to keep AustinBuddy's banks on the unit itself.

I also want factory presets on the unit for beta testing with firmware.

I also "collect" all kinds of presets which I find interesting or useful, for the wiki and the Drive and Amp Guides.
Yes, this can be done through the computer but having stuff on the unit itself makes eveything so much quicker.

Examples of my preset naming method:

"SIMON - Horns /s" = Simeon Harris, Synth Horns sound, stereo
"M@ - Maroon 5 /p" = Matt, Maroon 5 sound, expression pedal
"AB - El..Mistress" = AustinBuddy, Electric Mistress sound
"FREMEN - Rockman /tm" = Fremen, Rockman sound, Tone Match
"YEK - AcouSim /cab" = preset of my own, acoustic simulation, with a user cab

Not complaining, just explaining.

Last edited:
I guess I’m different in that while I think all of AB’s stuff sounds great, I went through and cherry picked the stuff I liked best.

I don’t need or want several hundred similar Fender tones. I want a small and versatile collection of different eras, clean, edge of breakup, drippy reverb, et al. Having 50 different Deluxe Reverb presets isn’t helpful to me, it’s actually a step backwards.

I’ll sit down, go through all the tweeds and note my favorites, and then when I’m looking for a tone, I have a small assortment of go to options that I know I like and I pick which suits my need.

same with IR’s really, I don’t want to go through 2000, I want like 5-10 favorites that work with the amps I like and those are my go to choices.

everyone is different so it’s great we have so many to start with, but I think less is more when it comes down to actual daily use and productivity.

20 dialed in presets is worth more to me than 1,000 random ones which are all derivatives of the other 999.

I think it’s just so much easier to say “I want a blackface tone” and have one preset with 8 scenes of my favorite black faces and test those out. When youve got 50 presets and 8 scenes of each your trying 400 tones and probably forgot what you wanted in the first place.

I guess I’m different in that while I think all of AB’s stuff sounds great, I went through and cherry picked the stuff I liked best.

I don’t need or want several hundred similar Fender tones. I want a small and versatile collection of different eras, clean, edge of breakup, drippy reverb, et al. Having 50 different Deluxe Reverb presets isn’t helpful to me, it’s actually a step backwards.

I’ll sit down, go through all the tweeds and note my favorites, and then when I’m looking for a tone, I have a small assortment of go to options that I know I like and I pick which suits my need.

same with IR’s really, I don’t want to go through 2000, I want like 5-10 favorites that work with the amps I like and those are my go to choices.

everyone is different so it’s great we have so many to start with, but I think less is more when it comes down to actual daily use and productivity.

20 dialed in presets is worth more to me than 1,000 random ones which are all derivatives of the other 999.

I think it’s just so much easier to say “I want a blackface tone” and have one preset with 8 scenes of my favorite black faces and test those out. When youve got 50 presets and 8 scenes of each your trying 400 tones and probably forgot what you wanted in the first place.
I am still going through the AB stuff and marking the ones to come back to and play some more. Some had just one scene I was interested in using as a starting point, some had several. Along the way, so far, a few have warranted immediate inclusion in my "amp corral" range of presets. The next pass through the marked presets will add more to the amp corral.

Additionally, I have a group of factory presets that I marked and corralled for their effects setups.

Finally, I have both scened-based and controller-based versions of the single-song presets I have made so far, and suddenly I am tight for space, and I don't even have set lists going yet.

The AB presets will eventually thin out, and hopefully reduce to one bank of favorites, but I am not there yet....

I honestly didn’t think the available preset slot was an issue (yes I know we had more on the II) until I loaded AB’s, some of Fremens, some of my old converted II presets, Burgs presets and Leon’s presets and then BOOM I was out of slots.

and that’s already after deleting most of the awesome factory presets.

If you want more preset space you would have to sacrifice user IR space. Each preset uses the equivalent of two user IRs. There are three FLASH chips on the DSP module: one for presets, one for factory IRs and one for user IRs.
You answered the question I had which was if these two shared space. Personally, I'd like to keep the factory presets for reference and then have space for my presets.

Also, If you implemented something like MIKKO we wouldn't need so many IR slots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom