Headrush FRFR $349

I noticed a lot of used powered speakers at Guitar Center. I'd have to hunt for some Yamaha then. I'm assuming Geminis are a joke?
Yes, Gemini are a joke.
Qsc, jbl prx, yorkville, Yamaha are solid used options.

Did any of these exists before the term "FRFR" did?

But regarding speaker sizes; in the guitar world, is 1 speaker actually good enough? I also play bass and it seems as if a pair of speakers like a 2x10 or 2x12 or 4x10 are usually preferred than a single 1x15, etc.

I'm also shopping for a bass cab. I have my eye on the Gallien-Kruger Neo 212. I had just ordered a Peavey minimax head for it...
The have all existed for years and years.
Frfr is not new.....at all.
Frfr = PA speakers
It's just that it's only been utilized in the guitar community since the introduction of modellers.
This is exactly why you need to educate yourself on all powered full range cabs, and not go for the cheap option like head rush just because they stamped 'for guitar modeller' on the box.

I was wondering "why" thx.

They seem mega overpriced I was talking to my sales guy at sweetwater and he helped steer me to the Friedman ASM12 instead of the Mission. Just curious.
I think they are talking about the brand Gemini and not the model Gemini by Mission Engineering.

I think they are talking about the brand Gemini and not the model Gemini by Mission Engineering.
You are correct.
I believe the OP was referring to Gemini brand (and that is what I am saying are a joke) because he stated he was poking around at Guitar Center.

I have never tried the Mission Gemini speakers, but they have a solid reputation on this forum.

Thé headrush seems to be á Alto ts312.
I compare this Alto with a qsc k12.1 in a music shop last week : the alto was very medium and the qsc (2.5 thé price of thé alto) much more attractive.
I Will not buy thé alto for my ax8 but the k12.1 or k10.1 (with less bass)...

I've had a couple of Headrush FRFRs for several months. I took a chance buying them because the price was right. I like them, but in all fairness, I have never had any other FRFR to compare them to...all I can say is they are worlds better than what I was using before. They are way louder than what I will ever need...if I cranked them up past 4, the neighbors would likely call the cops! If they are not good by comparison to some of the more pricey FRFRs then I still have something to look forward to! But until then...you know what they say...one man's junk is another man's treasure! I'm plenty satisfied.

I have yet to find some Yamaha at Guitar Center. I don't see Yamaha PAs being sold at Guitar Center as they seem to be pushing Alto and Harbinger products. I did buy $300 worth of gift cards from Guitar Center online for only $250 (I saved $50!). I'm looking forward to getting something soon with it in my price range to start with. They do have QSC and JBL Eons on sale (new and used). What other places other than Guitar Center would carry these products that's actually NOT online?

Also, does a 12" move "air" or would I need a 15"? I like the 12" as it's lighter than a 15", that's about it, not sure what 3" difference would really make?

Yes, Gemini are a joke.
Qsc, jbl prx, yorkville, Yamaha are solid used options.

I have yet to find some Yamaha at Guitar Center. I don't see Yamaha PAs being sold at Guitar Center as they seem to be pushing Alto and Harbinger products. I did buy $300 worth of gift cards from Guitar Center online for only $250 (I saved $50!). I'm looking forward to getting something soon with it in my price range to start with. They do have QSC and JBL Eons on sale (new and used). What other places other than Guitar Center would carry these products that's actually NOT online?

Also, does a 12" move "air" or would I need a 15"? I like the 12" as it's lighter than a 15", that's about it, not sure what 3" difference would really make?

Generally speaking, a 15" speaker will have more low end....but a 12" will have better mid range. Mid range is what helps a guitar cut through a mix, so that's why you'll see more people using a 12" speaker for FRFR. But it still is all personal preference.

The following are my views only and others may have a completely different view of the products and of course we all have very different needs,desires and expectations of the equipment we use:

I haven't been following this thread that closely so I apologise if some of this has been said before, but I have a Yamaha DXR10 (and another one coming next week). I have to say that it has a huge amount of bottom end even though it's only 10". I have the roll-off set on the speaker at 100Hz to tame that bottom end (which works effectively with it on a stand behind me.). I know that a lot of people also swear by the QSC K10.2s (note that this is another 10" speaker).

I really don't think you'll need a 12" speaker and you sure as hell won't need a 15" speaker - you'll be rolling off the bottom end of both of those big time and bottom end won't be your friend. Not unless of course that you want a huge amount of bottom end - that's another story. And as BBN says - midrange is the key to cutting through the mix for guitar - you don't want to be fighting with the bass player/keyboard player and his/her bass guitar's bottom end with your guitar sound - your guitar and in fact the whole band will sound very messy and ill defined.

When choosing an appropriate speaker for your Fractal when you first get one, and unless somehow you are able to actually go and try out speakers, I think the best way is to listen to all those people that have gone before you and take notice of what products the majority of people were satisfied with within your budget. I hope I don't get shot down in flames for this, but in my experience and my research, the speakers that seem to be the most popular according to budget are:

Higher Budget - Atomic CLR Neos; XiTones; Mission Geminis; Friedman ASC/ASM. The Friedman seems to be the choice for those looking more for a cab/traditional stage amp sound (the thump as some would refer to it as and that equates to more bottom end)

Mid-range Budget - Yamaha DXR10s; QSC K10.2s (I chose the Yamahas because they were the best I could afford, but I loved the speaker so much I got GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) and bought another one.

Lower Budget - Alto TS212; HeadRush FRFR

Line 6 is now coming to the fore too, but it has built-in cab simulations - I can't imagine why anyone with an AX8 or higher would want/need more amp cabs.

I hope this helps.

Where does a 10" fit in all this?

Generally speaking, a 15" speaker will have more low end....but a 12" will have better mid range. Mid range is what helps a guitar cut through a mix, so that's why you'll see more people using a 12" speaker for FRFR. But it still is all personal preference.

I'm also curious if these speakers talked about could also be used for other purposes like for a home theater?

I'm also curious if these speakers talked about could also be used for other purposes like for a home theater?
They 'can' be, but would likely not have the same fidelity as a home theater speaker (unless you purchase something of higher quality)

I see. I'm trying to figure out if my setup would work though using a bass guitar amp (Peavey Minimax) to power an unpowered PA speaker (Yamaha A12M).

I see. I'm trying to figure out if my setup would work though using a bass guitar amp (Peavey Minimax) to power an unpowered PA speaker (Yamaha A12M).
Work? Yes.

Sound good? Questionable...

A bass amp is not likely to be "flat" and most monitor wedges are also not flat, as they tend to be "optimized" for vocals.

If the bass amp has a preamp input then you might get a fairly decent power amp use... But not necessarily.

Back
Top Bottom