Headrush FRFR $349

I see. I'm trying to figure out if my setup would work though using a bass guitar amp (Peavey Minimax) to power an unpowered PA speaker (Yamaha A12M).
It looks like the Minimax has an effects loop, so you can use this as a power amp (into a passive cab).
You would plug your Axe into the 'return' in the back of the Minimax. Then speaker out to a passive cab.
Would it sound good? Maybe. Don't know until you try.
I doubt you're going to find anyone here who has tried that same bass amp as a power amp for their Axe.

Just to be clear, I don't have an Axe. What I do have is a BOSS SY-300 guitar synth pedal. Your suggestion might be worth a try but I'll wait and see what goes on sale. As far as how it will all sound; I'd assume it will be just as good since it's just a speaker to amplify sounds?

Also, I'd assume a guitar synth pedal would "love" lots of low end stuff?

It looks like the Minimax has an effects loop, so you can use this as a power amp (into a passive cab).
You would plug your Axe into the 'return' in the back of the Minimax. Then speaker out to a passive cab.
Would it sound good? Maybe. Don't know until you try.
I doubt you're going to find anyone here who has tried that same bass amp as a power amp for their Axe.

Last edited:
I'd think full range is good enough since nothing is really truly "flat" as I've been told.

I think the bass amp has what you're talking about:

"Built-in direct output with ground lift and pre/post switch"

https://peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/659/118756

Is that it?

Work? Yes.

Sound good? Questionable...

A bass amp is not likely to be "flat" and most monitor wedges are also not flat, as they tend to be "optimized" for vocals.

If the bass amp has a preamp input then you might get a fairly decent power amp use... But not necessarily.

Any opinion about Electro-Voice:

The Electro-Voice ZLX-12P 12" Two-Way Powered Loudspeaker is a compact and versatile loudspeaker featuring custom engineered drivers in a rugged enclosure. The loudspeaker features a grille made of 18-gauge steel with black powder coat. The loudspeaker matches the specially developed drivers with a custom-built Class-D amplifier module and powerful DSP. Whether pole mounted or used as a floor monitor, the loudspeaker delivers powerful sonic impact and intelligibility.

Frequency Range 50 Hz - 20 kHz
Maximum SPL 126 dB
Power Rating 1000 W
Frequency Response 65 Hz - 18 kHz
Coverage (Nominal -6 dB) H 90 °
Coverage (Nominal -6 dB) V 60 °
LF Transducer EVS-12K, 300 mm (12 in) Woofer
HF Transducer DH-1K
Connector Type (2) XLR/TRS Combo Jack, (1) 3.5 mm Input, and (1) XLR link Output
Enclosure Material Polypropylene
Grill 18 Gauge Steel with Black Powder Coat

Yes, Gemini are a joke.
Qsc, jbl prx, yorkville, Yamaha are solid used options.

Since I'm semi-broke now and still have about $300 worth of Guitar Center gift cards, I might take the used market route to start with. I called every local Guitar Center and they have no used Yamahas and all new ones are to be ordered online only!

Amen.
If I was broke, I would hunt the used market.

Any opinion about Electro-Voice:

The Electro-Voice ZLX-12P 12" Two-Way Powered Loudspeaker is a compact and versatile loudspeaker featuring custom engineered drivers in a rugged enclosure. The loudspeaker features a grille made of 18-gauge steel with black powder coat. The loudspeaker matches the specially developed drivers with a custom-built Class-D amplifier module and powerful DSP. Whether pole mounted or used as a floor monitor, the loudspeaker delivers powerful sonic impact and intelligibility.

Frequency Range 50 Hz - 20 kHz
Maximum SPL 126 dB
Power Rating 1000 W
Frequency Response 65 Hz - 18 kHz
Coverage (Nominal -6 dB) H 90 °
Coverage (Nominal -6 dB) V 60 °
LF Transducer EVS-12K, 300 mm (12 in) Woofer
HF Transducer DH-1K
Connector Type (2) XLR/TRS Combo Jack, (1) 3.5 mm Input, and (1) XLR link Output
Enclosure Material Polypropylene
Grill 18 Gauge Steel with Black Powder Coat
They're not bad. Good for the price. I would grab one of these before the Headrush.

Since I'm semi-broke now and still have about $300 worth of Guitar Center gift cards, I might take the used market route to start with. I called every local Guitar Center and they have no used Yamahas and all new ones are to be ordered online only!
GC seems to have lots of used JBL PRX (512/612/712) speakers around the 300-350 mark. That's a great option as well.

I'd think full range is good enough since nothing is really truly "flat" as I've been told.
Cabinets that are marketed as "flat" are at least attempting to be so... A vocal wedge not so much. You could possibly "flatten" the response with EQ but if you were to send that same output to FOH it's going to sound not so great.
I think the bass amp has what you're talking about:
"Built-in direct output with ground lift and pre/post switch"

https://peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/659/118756

Is that it?

No... That is an output and I'm talking about an input.

It has an FX Loop Return. That is what you would plug into to bypass the preamp section and use only the power amp section.

I'm also curious if all the PA speakers mentioned here are what's used for vocals as well? Because I've been looking for a vocal amp. People have told me they're called a PA speaker, so I'm assuming yes, these speakers mentioned on this thread can also be used for vocals as much as for instruments?

But regarding a whole band needing a PA, is this also the same PA being referred to? Does the entire band actually connect to the PA system to sound all together or blend well together? I assumed that required a mixer for that to happen? These powered PA speakers all have a mixer, right?

But then again, usually a drummer sometimes don't need to be mic'ed in a venue that has a capacity of a few hundred, right? So I guess a drummer do not need to be connected to a PA? So what or who connects to the PA system (guitarist, bassist, vocalist, keyboardist?). I think sometimes the bassist usually would have a big bass rig that require no connection to the PA. In my case, my bass rig is a 500 watt amp (Peavey Minimax) with a 600 watt cab (Gallien-Krueger Neo 212 II).

Last edited:
I'm also curious if all the PA speakers mentioned here are what's used for vocals as well? Because I've been looking for a vocal amp. People have told me they're called a PA speaker, so I'm assuming yes, these speakers mentioned on this thread can also be used for vocals as much as for instruments?

But regarding a whole band needing a PA, is this also the same PA being referred to? Does the entire band actually connect to the PA system to sound all together or blend well together? I assumed that required a mixer for that to happen? These powered PA speakers all have a mixer, right?

But then again, usually a drummer sometimes don't need to be mic'ed in a venue that has a capacity of a few hundred, right? So I guess a drummer do not need to be connected to a PA? So what or who connects to the PA system (guitarist, bassist, vocalist, keyboardist?). I think sometimes the bassist usually would have a big bass rig that require no connection to the PA. In my case, my bass rig is a 500 watt amp (Peavey Minimax) with a 600 watt cab (Gallien-Krueger Neo 212 II).
There are different kinds of PA speakers... Some are for amplifying the band for the audience (called Front of House or FOH) and some are for the band to hear themselves on stage (typically wedge speakers that point back towards the band).

The former are likely to be closer to being flat than the latter...

Is it actually hard for the band to hear themselves on stage without the use of the wedge PA speaker or what? I've seen bands jam in basements and required no PA. I guess the sound dynamics change on stage vs. a basement?

There are different kinds of PA speakers... Some are for amplifying the band for the audience (called Front of House or FOH) and some are for the band to hear themselves on stage (typically wedge speakers that point back towards the band).

The former are likely to be closer to being flat than the latter...

Is it actually hard for the band to hear themselves on stage without the use of the wedge PA speaker or what?
Yes. When you're gigging through a PA, the PA is blasting your sound out into the crowd; not at you. Most of what you hear of the total mix is the PA sound reflecting off the back wall in a muddy, time-delayed mess. Meanwhile, the drummer is crashing cymbals behind your ears, the other instruments are blaring at you, the singer's monitor firing away...if you don't have something producing your sound and firing right at you, you can't hear yourself — and your performance is screwed.

I've seen bands jam in basements and required no PA. I guess the sound dynamics change on stage vs. a basement?
Three or four instruments all facing each other while enclosed in a tiny box is a very different sonic experience from playing to a crowd in a room. :)

Is something like the Yamaha DRX10 for blasting the sound into the crowd or at the band? It can be either or?

Yes. When you're gigging through a PA, the PA is blasting your sound out into the crowd; not at you. Most of what you hear of the total mix is the PA sound reflecting off the back wall in a muddy, time-delayed mess. Meanwhile, the drummer is crashing cymbals behind your ears, the other instruments are blaring at you, the singer's monitor firing away...if you don't have something producing your sound and firing right at you, you can't hear yourself — and your performance is screwed.

Three or four instruments all facing each other while enclosed in a tiny box is a very different sonic experience from playing to a crowd in a room. :)

Is something like the Yamaha DRX10 for blasting the sound into the crowd or at the band? It can be either or?
Both. The same goes for most small- to mid-sized full-range speakers (the really big ones aren’t practical for stage use). If it has an angled surface so you can set it on the floor and aim it up at you, it can be used as a stage monitor. If it can be mounted on a pole or flown above the stage, it can be used for FOH. Most of what’s available will fit both descriptions.

Last edited:
So a venue's PA would simply plug into the band's PA (stage monitor, etc.) to blast into the crowd, right?

Both. The same goes for most small- to mid-sized full-range speakers (the really big ones aren’t practical for stage use). If it has an angled surface so you can set it on the floor and aim it up at you, it can be used as a stage monitor. If it can me mounted on a pole or flown above the stage, it can be used for FOH. Most of what’s available will fit both descriptions.

So a venue's PA would simply plug into the band's PA (stage monitor, etc.) to blast into the crowd, right?
Usually, the same mixer handles both FOH and monitors. But not always. Larger shows often have a separate monitor mixer off the side of the stage, manned by another sound tech. In some venues, the band brings their own PA. In others, it’s provided by the house.

@Bushy : a lot of your questions boil down to a request for a tutorial on live sound. Google “how to set up live sound” and ride that as deep as you’d like. If that brings up more questions, maybe start a separate thread so we don’t hijack this one. :)

Anyone here ever tried the Mackie Thump?

I'm curious if I even need a 12" or maybe a pair of 10"s could work for guitars, but I'm not sure if the vocals would like it? I'm trying to sing and play at the same time.

The suggestion for a Yamaha DXR10 would imply 10" are also cool...

I'm curious if I even need a 12" or maybe a pair of 10"s could work for guitars, but I'm not sure if the vocals would like it? I'm trying to sing and play at the same time.

A forum search would be useful for you...

I don't usually recommend this, but you should really go to Guitar Center and ask them to just review a PA speaker with you, how it's controls work, what it's components are, and what purposes it can have.
You're asking a lot of the same questions multiple times.
Yes, as many have suggested...in this thread....10" work with guitar and vocals.

And Mackie Thump are same league as the Headrush. Inexpensive and seem to always leave a user wanting an upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom