Headrush FRFR $349

This Kustom PA KPC12P Powered Speaker Pair has that 70 Hz and 20 kHz specs but it's only 100 watt RMS!

Depends on the design of the box! You can't really compare a cab that was purpos built for a bass guitar and a FR cab. A good FRFR cab will usually have a response of +/- 3 db between 70 Hz and 20kHz @ -10db.

Most normal people don't hear past 16 kHz is and most guitar freqs don't have any energy past 10 kHz. Bass guitar is the opposite direction depending on how crisp you want you bass tones to sound. As to how the Head Rush will sound with Bass guitar running through it best way to find out is to go demo one or the Alto TS212 as it looks like the same speaker without all the marketing BS.

This Kustom PA KPC12P Powered Speaker Pair has that 70 Hz and 20 kHz specs but it's only 100 watt RMS!

Seeing how we have Jacked this thread to a new level here are some basic ideas!

First off regarding Kustom, run from that stuff. In the end it will be a wast of money that you could have put towards something more worth while.
The one thing you really need to do here is to 1, Establish a budget you can afford to work with. 2, Let everyone here know what that budget is! 3, People will post the best options within your posted budget! 4, look for the best deals on the recommended options that are in that budget range.

It's pretty simple to do given a little patience!

Is $744 for a used pair of Yamaha dxr10 a good deal? It's in excellent condition according to the salesman.

According to the latest exchange rate that equates to about $1000 AUD. I paid $1840 AUD for two new ones, so I think that is an excellent deal (although I don't know the market over there in the States). Certainly hugely better than Alto or Headrush IMHO. Don't forget that with a pair and with three inputs each you have a very powerful pa as well as an excellent solution for using your Fractal live (although I do seem to recall you saying that you didn't have a Fractal and I have been wondering why you are posting so much on the Fractal forum)

I do have a BOSS SY-300 guitar synth pedal, plus I may need to be more "marketable" if I were to have a whole band together, I should have a set of PA.

My curiosity now is why are some of those "PA package" systems have a separate mixer? Is it because the speakers are unpowered? I'm talking about something like the JBL EON 208P:

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/portable-market/eon208p#.W0E0QtJKjIU

According to the latest exchange rate that equates to about $1000 AUD. I paid $1840 AUD for two new ones, so I think that is an excellent deal (although I don't know the market over there in the States). Certainly hugely better than Alto or Headrush IMHO. Don't forget that with a pair and with three inputs each you have a very powerful pa as well as an excellent solution for using your Fractal live (although I do seem to recall you saying that you didn't have a Fractal and I have been wondering why you are posting so much on the Fractal forum)

My curiosity now is why are some of those "PA package" systems have a separate mixer? Is it because the speakers are unpowered? I'm talking about something like the JBL EON 208P:
Every PA needs some kind of mixing capability. How else can you balance the vocal levels with the other instruments?

Standing behind the PA speaker is a bad place to make mixing choices because you can’t hear what it sounds like out in the crowd. So the mixer is usually a separate piece of gear.

I do have a BOSS SY-300 guitar synth pedal, plus I may need to be more "marketable" if I were to have a whole band together, I should have a set of PA.

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/portable-market/eon208p#.W0E0QtJKjIU
A PA needs a mixer... An Axe Fx doesn't.

As suggested earlier, it really would be a good idea for you to research sound reinforcement and PAs.

This forum is really focused on Fractal products and while your questions apply in a general sense, they are mostly not specific to Fractal products.

Any good? Sure. Really good? Not so much.

Good enough to replace my 4x12 and 100w head with the AX8 and the Headrush FRFR? Solely for a live band, I dont need the pinnacle of sound. If its not AS flat as the 1000 dollar counterpart but gets the job done fairly well at volume, Im happy. Would you say its a good idea for my situation? I just need the FRFR to monitor my own sound, as I cant stand what I typically hear in a wedge.

Good enough to replace my 4x12 and 100w head with the AX8 and the Headrush FRFR? Solely for a live band, I dont need the pinnacle of sound. If its not AS flat as the 1000 dollar counterpart but gets the job done fairly well at volume, Im happy. Would you say its a good idea for my situation? I just need the FRFR to monitor my own sound, as I cant stand what I typically hear in a wedge.

Have you had a chance to try it against anything else? Just wondering.

Ah, the perennial cry of the modern guitarist: "Tell me what I should buy!" :)

Don't worry. I get it. But it's not that simple. Yes, yout can substitute an inexpensive powered wedge for an amp head and a 4x12. Will it be good enough to satisfy your ears and sensibilities? No one but you can answer that it any meaningful way.

Have you had a chance to try it against anything else? Just wondering.

Ah, the perennial cry of the modern guitarist: "Tell me what I should buy!" :)

Don't worry. I get it. But it's not that simple. Yes, yout can substitute an inexpensive powered wedge for an amp head and a 4x12. Will it be good enough to satisfy your ears and sensibilities? No one but you can answer that it any meaningful way.

I have not used any FRFR solution as of yet. I guess my question is if I spend twice or 3x the money, is there significant difference? Yes there’s a huge difference between my DSL and Friedman’s or Mezzabarba. Is it THAT kind of difference?

I have not used any FRFR solution as of yet. I guess my question is if I spend twice or 3x the money, is there significant difference? Yes there’s a huge difference between my DSL and Friedman’s or Mezzabarba. Is it THAT kind of difference?
Yes, if you spend two or three times the money, the will be a significant improvement.

Will it be the same kind of difference as different amps or cabs? No, because the kinds of differences you're talking about are intentional changes in gain staging and voicing that are meant to get different results. On the other hand, all powered monitors are meant to achieve the same result. They just do so with varying degrees of accuracy and realism. And that's a different kind of different.

Last edited:

If you are a giging musician you shouldn't half step your monitoring system. To me, knowing what I have learned about prosumer monitoring and PA gear is the less you spend the more underwhelmed you will be.

There are some exceptions but not many and they still come with a tradeoff, spending two or three times the money yields you noticeable differences in more than just how it sounds. Build quality, reliability form factor come in to play as well!

That said you can still find deals on used gear and spend a few hundred more and get something that you will be really happy with instead of something you will regret buying.

I think I'm getting close to making a final decision and have decided on getting the ISP Technologies Vector FS8 since it can also be used for vocals as well. I think the switch to turn it to a regular guitar cab can be handy should I use another guitar pedal that's not a guitar synth pedal. I do have some keyboards and synths too so I can definitely use this amp for those as well instead of getting another "dedicated" amp that I don't need. Although the 175 watts RMS power might look tiny compared to 500 watt PA speakers, I just like the fact that I can have the best of both worlds in 1 amp. I can probably sell my Peavey Rage 258 guitar amp since I won't need that anymore.

I think I'm getting close to making a final decision and have decided on getting the ISP Technologies Vector FS8 since it can also be used for vocals as well. I think the switch to turn it to a regular guitar cab can be handy should I use another guitar pedal that's not a guitar synth pedal. I do have some keyboards and synths too so I can definitely use this amp for those as well instead of getting another "dedicated" amp that I don't need. Although the 175 watts RMS power might look tiny compared to 500 watt PA speakers, I just like the fact that I can have the best of both worlds in 1 amp. I can probably sell my Peavey Rage 258 guitar amp since I won't need that anymore.

That thing cost $100 more than the CLR I bought a few months back. Have you looked in the F.S. section? a lot of good deals there lately.

Back
Top Bottom