Headrush FRFR $349

I believe the reason why Headrush keeps delaying their FRFR amp is because they're waiting to consolidate the Alto TS212 as to avoid competing with their own brand? I just saw the Alto TS212 going for $199 brand new at Guitar Center. I could actually get 2 of these instead of just 1 Headrush FRFR for a true stereo sound. I have yet to check to see if in fact it's the same actual product, just different brand. The specs appear to be different (or simply marketed differently), but I have a feeling it's one in the same. The price of the Alto TS212 might even drop lower than $199 this upcoming memorial day sale. If I could get a pair for $300, I probably would. I just hope it comes with a stand!

Of course it is but that's not what you getting, that is unless you want to hear what it sounds like when a speaker destroys it sell ;)!

I believe the reason why Headrush keeps delaying their FRFR amp is because they're waiting to consolidate the Alto TS212 as to avoid competing with their own brand? I just saw the Alto TS212 going for $199 brand new at Guitar Center. I could actually get 2 of these instead of just 1 Headrush FRFR for a true stereo sound. I have yet to check to see if in fact it's the same actual product, just different brand. The specs appear to be different (or simply marketed differently), but I have a feeling it's one in the same. The price of the Alto TS212 might even drop lower than $199 this upcoming memorial day sale. If I could get a pair for $300, I probably would. I just hope it comes with a stand!

It will get you started.

Any opinion on the Harbinger Vari V2215:... but it's frequency response of 42Hz - 140Hz may not even be on the same level as the Alto TS212, which is 53Hz - 20kHz.
Something is wrong with that spec. It’s a full-range speaker, but that’s the frequency response of a subwoofer.

Any opinion on the Harbinger Vari V2215:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Harbin...-Two-Way-Class-D-Loudspeaker-1443624090820.gc

It's a 15" and same price as the Alto TS212. It's also class D, but it's frequency response of 42Hz - 140Hz may not even be on the same level as the Alto TS212, which is 53Hz - 20kHz. Which do you guys pick?

Yeah, stay away. Horribly unreliable. It's GC's house brand. Made to a price point and that price point is... low. I'd buy Behringer before these.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Harbin...-Two-Way-Class-D-Loudspeaker-1443624090820.gc

It's a 15" and same price as the Alto TS212. It's also class D, but it's frequency response of 42Hz - 140Hz may not even be on the same level as the Alto TS212, which is 53Hz - 20kHz. Which do you guys pick?
I would shop used market before I bought either of those.
I've seen JBL PRX speakers for the $350 range quite a bit.

Side note - what's the deal with the 'ebates' link in your signature?

Yeah, stay away. Horribly unreliable. It's GC's house brand. Made to a price point and that price point is... low. I'd buy Behringer before these.

Had a pair of 15" Harbingers as monitors in a rehearsal space. They sounded awful. Got rid of them.

I tried one of the headrush speakers....its was "ok" not horrible...
but honestly get a QSC...even used they can be had around 500 and they are professional quality if your budget is tight

I’ll pile on. Had one hanging around when I first got my XL+. Hooked it up to the Harbinger and it just sounded awful even with low cut, global EQ. Actually put me off from using the Axe live for a bit. I ended up getting an Alto TS212 and it was much better. I’ve since gotten a XiTone active 1x12 and that’s been phenomenal.

What would I need if I were to get the passive version (which is cheaper)?

I’ll pile on. Had one hanging around when I first got my XL+. Hooked it up to the Harbinger and it just sounded awful even with low cut, global EQ. Actually put me off from using the Axe live for a bit. I ended up getting an Alto TS212 and it was much better. I’ve since gotten a XiTone active 1x12 and that’s been phenomenal.

By the way guys, thanks for all the feedback. I think Guitar Center had a glitch a few days ago when they listed the Alto TS212 for $199 at a specific store I visited. Now, it's back to $249. I hope it drops lower this Memorial Day weekend though.

Also, I was told by someone on another forum that usually a bass guitar cab is full range therefore it could work as an FRFR, right?

I saw at a local Guitar Center a Gallien-Krueger Neo 212 at a clearance for only $349. This thing lists for $699 elsewhere. Check out the specs if it's something that could be an FRFR. I saw on the back of the cab a "Full Range" input as well. I'm not sure if that's for using this cab without the use of an amp so one could actually plug directly to the cab? I've been told before that for me to use my BOSS SY-300 guitar synth pedal I should consider either a keyboard amp or a bass amp as they are full range. Maybe even electronic drum kit amps, which I have as well (Simmons DA50). As I am also a bassist, I think the Gallien-Krueger Neo 212 may be what I need? Check out the specs of the Gallien-Krueger Neo 212:

Features
600W RMS/ 8 ohms
2x12" Paragon neodymium drivers
High quality horn tweeter
Horn bi-amp and passive crossover
Compact and lightweight
Front ported
11-ply poplar cabinet construction
Top-mounted easy-grip handle
Stackable corners
16-gauge steel grille
Speakon and 1/4" connectors
Black Tolex covering
Speakon cable included

Specifications

Frequency response: 36Hz to 19 kHz + 5dB
Sensitivity: 98dB
Crossover: HMS Bi-Amp/Full Range Switch, Horn Power Limiter, L-Pad High Frequency Attenuation
Connectors: HMS Compatible Bi-Amp/Full Range Speakon, 1/4" (Full-range only)
Construction: 11-ply poplar, black Tolex, 16-gauge steel grille, custom-tooled interlocking corner system and front ported
Weight: 51 lb.
Dimensions: 24" W x 24"H x 16"D

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Gallien-Krueger/Neo-212-II-2x12-600W-Bass-Cabinet-1273888005363.gc

Last edited:
By the way guys, thanks for all the feedback. I think Guitar Center had a glitch a few days ago when they listed the Alto TS212 for $199 at a specific store I visited. Now, it's back to $249. I hope it drops lower this Memorial Day weekend though.

Also, I was told by someone on another forum that usually a bass guitar cab is full range therefore it could work as an FRFR, right?

I saw at a local Guitar Center a Gallien-Krueger Neo 212 at a clearance for only $349. This thing lists for $699 elsewhere. Check out the specs if it's something that could be an FRFR. I saw on the back of the cab a "Full Range" input as well. I'm not sure if that's for using this cab without the use of an amp so one could actually plug directly to the cab? I've been told before that for me to use my BOSS SY-300 guitar synth pedal I should consider either a keyboard amp or a bass amp as they are full range. Maybe even electronic drum kit amps, which I have as well (Simmons DA50). As I am also a bassist, I think the Gallien-Krueger Neo 212 may be what I need? Check out the specs of the Gallien-Krueger Neo 212:

Features
600W RMS/ 8 ohms
2x12" Paragon neodymium drivers
High quality horn tweeter
Horn bi-amp and passive crossover
Compact and lightweight
Front ported
11-ply poplar cabinet construction
Top-mounted easy-grip handle
Stackable corners
16-gauge steel grille
Speakon and 1/4" connectors
Black Tolex covering
Speakon cable included

Specifications

Frequency response: 36Hz to 19 kHz + 5dB
Sensitivity: 98dB
Crossover: HMS Bi-Amp/Full Range Switch, Horn Power Limiter, L-Pad High Frequency Attenuation
Connectors: HMS Compatible Bi-Amp/Full Range Speakon, 1/4" (Full-range only)
Construction: 11-ply poplar, black Tolex, 16-gauge steel grille, custom-tooled interlocking corner system and front ported
Weight: 51 lb.
Dimensions: 24" W x 24"H x 16"D

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Gallien-Krueger/Neo-212-II-2x12-600W-Bass-Cabinet-1273888005363.gc

It's going to be full range, but likely very far from flat response.
Any Bass cab I've ever plugged into sounds extremely scooped.
You can probably dial it to sound fine, but your preset will likely translate poorly to a PA or Recording device.

Reactions: Rex
You can probably dial it to sound fine, but your preset will likely translate poorly to a PA or Recording device.
You read my mind. :)

Were the other bass cabs you've ever tried actually have a dedicated "full range" switch and input as the GK Neo 212 I mentioned?

I'd assume a guitar synth pedal would play well with a bass cab for its low-ranginess...

Were the other bass cabs you've ever tried actually have a dedicated "full range" switch and input as the GK Neo 212 I mentioned?

I'd assume a guitar synth pedal would play well with a bass cab for its low-ranginess...

Yes, they were full range.

My bass player used to run a keyboard through his monster bass rig and it sounded great.
Again, just don't expect it to be flat. What ever you use it for, you will have to tune your rig to it (and it will likely not translate the same if played into a flat-ish FOH PA).

Sorry for sounding naive. I'm actually new to the bass head and cab thing as I've always used combos. I didn't realized a bass head is needed to power a bass cab. I was looking at the Gallien-Krueger Neo 212 at Guitar Center and in the back of it I was looking for the power adapter which I could not find! The salesperson told me the head is what powers the cab! So if I were to buy this cab, do I actually need a head then even if I were to only use this cab as a "full range" amp or will connecting an effects pedal actually power it? The effects pedal I have is the BOSS SY-300 guitar synth. Could this be plugged directly into the cab without the need to use a head? But just in case, the bass head I had in mind was the Peavey Minimax.

Back
Top Bottom