Using Backing Tracks to Trigger Preset/Scene Changes w/ Bandhelper

I found this from the Axe-Fx Wiki. I posted more information in post 49.

MIDI Bank Select messages

MIDI CCs #0 and #32 are assigned to Bank Select functions.
  • CC#0 is known as the Bank Select Coarse (MSB) (Most Significant Byte)
  • CC#32 is known as the Bank Select Fine (LSB) (Least Significant Byte)
We're in agreement about LSB and MSB. I just thought that Roland were the only ones who used MSB as the bank select.

Last edited:
The Axe-Fx is unarguably an incredible piece of hardware and software, but what comes in second, is BandHelper!! Wow, what an ingenious application and worth every bit of the $10 per year it will cost me to use it.

In about a day, I've managed to get it up and running with my Axe-Fx (as well as other MIDI devices) and I've completely automated preset changes, scene changes and scrolling lyrics all triggered by an audio track. I'm absolutely blown away at the amount of work and thought that Arlo Leach has put into this application.

Thanks @chris for recommending it! :)

The only thing I need to figure out now, is how do I listen to the Axe-Fx and the BT on the iPad at the same time, while I'm playing?

Last edited:
BandHelper is SO amazing!
The only thing I need to figure out now, is how do I listen to the Axe-Fx and the BT on the iPad at the same time, while I'm playing?
what is "the BT"? what do you mean listen? or is this a funny question? :D

BandHelper is SO amazing!

what is "the BT"? what do you mean listen? or is this a funny question? :D

The backing track that's playing on the iPad and triggering the MIDI preset changes. How do I listen to it at the same time I'm listening to what I'm playing on the Axe-Fx, using my headphones plugged into the headphone jack on the Axe-Fx.

Is this the simplest and only solution?

[Edit] Will not work...went the mixer route instead (see further in this thread).

upload_2017-3-21_0-33-33.png

Last edited:
at that point most people would use a small mixer.

if Input 2 is available you could run the iPad 1/8" out to the Axe input 2 1/4", add an Fx Loop block (in every preset though...) then send it all out of Out 1?

At the moment, I have the Axe-Fx connected to my AC30, so Input 2 left is not available. Could I use right?

How do I go from the 3.5 mm stereo output of the iPad, to the 1/4" mono input on the Axe-Fx.

Man, just when I think I've made two steps forward, I take one back. :(

At the moment, I have the Axe-Fx connected to my AC30, so Input 2 left is not available. Could I use right?
If you don't mind hearing just one side of your backing tracks.

How do I go from the 3.5 mm stereo output of the iPad, to the 1/4" mono input on the Axe-Fx.
With a 3.5 mm to 1/4" patch cord. :)

Seriously, there's nothing like the simplicity of a small, inexpensive mixer that can handle at least two stereo sources (see my avatar).

I second the mixer. My work flow has been monitoring through headphones listing to the AFX and itunes coming into the AFX via USB audio, I thought this sounded great. On the weekend I go to a warehouse set up my small PA and check to see if what Ive been doing with the headphone setup sounds good however something always seems off and I wind up having to tweak all my patches again. Tonight I was playing with SetListMaker to automate changes and had to use the mixer to get both the iPad and AFX into my headphones. I instantly came to realize that the AXE FX headphone jack and the main out don't exactly sound the same so i guess from now on I will be using the mixer at all times. Anyone else confirm this?

In SetListMaker I have been trying to enter the six sections of code with no luck. No matter what I enter in the first three blocks I can't get it to switch to another A.B.C.D.E.F bank. However I can switch banks and preset like this then enter the hex code to switch to a scene. This gets me to preset 278 with scene 5 selected.

slm2.jpg

However I can switch banks and preset like this then enter the hex code to switch to a scene. This gets me to preset 278 with scene 5 selected.

Yes, that's the way I do it. This is the web app., but what I did is enter the preset information for the song, leaving the middle field at 0, like this;

upload_2017-3-22_7-40-3.png

Then I created scene presets, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc.

upload_2017-3-22_7-42-13.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-22_7-39-44.png
    upload_2017-3-22_7-39-44.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 8
Latest addition.

I use a Shimmer effect for playing U2 songs, you know the one you hear in I Still, With or Without You, All I want, etc. I currently control it with a Boss volume pedal. Using Bandhelper, i created a MIDI preset that allows me to control Extern 1, in a Vol/Pan block to bring the shimmer sound into the chain automatically. All I need to do is trigger it at the right time in an Automation track for what ever song I want to use it in.

Last edited:
I now have control of the VooDoo Lab GCX switcher as well.

CAUTION: Even though the GCPro connects to the GCX switcher with a 5-pin MIDI cable, it's a non-standard MIDI cable. It provides the GCPro with 9 vac, on pins 1 and 3. If you connect this cable to a MIDI-IN or THRU port, you will most likely damage that device.

upload_2017-3-22_22-44-17.png

So I removed the connectors from a MIDI patch cable I had and snipped the wires soldered to pin 1 and 3 on both ends, just to be safe. Then I labelled the cable for future reference.

upload_2017-3-22_22-29-30.jpeg

So now, I can control everything in my rack;

upload_2017-3-22_22-30-33.jpeg

with this, an iPad Mini 4;

upload_2017-3-22_22-30-58.jpeg

Including the tuner on the Axe-Fx, with a simple tap of the MIDI icon next to the preset name. More importantly, I can also trigger any of the logical presets with an automated backing track, as well as scroll lyrics automatically all while keeping my hands on the guitar and only using my foot to keep time!

This is the most fun I've had since I bought the Axe-Fx!!!:)

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-22_22-21-17.png
    upload_2017-3-22_22-21-17.png
    18.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
My new MIDI controller. (New to the Apple iOS and iPad's...I figured out how to take screen caps.! ) lol

upload_2017-3-24_9-18-2.jpeg

upload_2017-3-24_9-55-57.png

upload_2017-3-24_10-0-22.png

upload_2017-3-24_10-0-55.png

upload_2017-3-24_10-1-7.png

upload_2017-3-24_10-1-34.png

Most likely, soon to be no longer needed MIDI controller.

upload_2017-3-24_9-18-24.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-24_9-15-24.jpeg
    upload_2017-3-24_9-15-24.jpeg
    123.5 KB · Views: 5
  • upload_2017-3-24_9-17-46.jpeg
    upload_2017-3-24_9-17-46.jpeg
    129.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Sure would be nice if BandHelper/SetListMaker had a record midi program changes so it could mimic what you do on the MFC-101. Yeah I know I don't want much. Record automation!

Ha ha I meant the C style notes within you Hex Code, Nice setup by the way.

Ah! Yes, you can use C single line and multi-line comment syntax. Nice feature.

Once you build your presets, it takes very little time to setup songs and add them to a set list. So far it's been working flawlessly to control all my gear. The Automation feature is real easy to use.

Next step is to go wireless with a puc+ MIDI interface or Yamaha MD-BT01.

BTW, you don't need the middle digit in the Axe-Fx field. I've since removed it.

Back
Top Bottom