Using Backing Tracks to Trigger Preset/Scene Changes w/ Bandhelper

I'm pretty sure the Axe USB CAN be used for midi messages! It just has to be a computer (PC or Mac) with the driver installed.

I tried from my p.c., that I normally use to run Axe-Edit, but nothing shows up under MIDI devices. I will look into it again.

You can probably send a midi cable from the Axe THRU port (make sure Thru is turned on in the MIDI menu) then to the GCX. Make sure each device has its own midi channel, and send the appropriate commands on the right channels.

That's what I thought. I guess I'm getting a bit confused because the Uno has a MIDI OUT and a MIDI IN. I guess I only need to use the MIDI OUT or do I need two way communication? In that case, would I just remove the GCPro connection and daisy chain the Uno, Axe-Fx and GCX?

So iPad (Lightning to USB Camera Adapter) -> Uno (MIDI OUT) -> Axe-Fx (MIDI IN) -> Axe-Fx (MIDI OUT) -> GCX (MIDI IN) -> GCX (MIDI OUT) -> Uno (MIDI IN).

BTW, I found how to add the automate icon. It's a different process than is shown in the tutorial video. I think the video is using an older version than the current release version. Looks like some things have been re-organized. Either way, what a cool platform!!!

Once last thing...I hope. Where do I learn about the MIDI messages to select presets and scene changes in the Axe-Fx? Is there a table in the manual? I haven't had a chance to look yet.

Last edited:
What I had in mind was a foot controller that's out on stage and available in the case that the tracks blow. The scenario where you'd need to kill incoming MIDI stream is rare, because if there's an issue with the tracks, you generally need to kill playback entirely.

But, if you have an MFC or Mastermind on the floor, you could route the show control output to the MIDI In of the board (rather than directly to the back of the Axe). That way, you can kill the incoming stream by reaching down and unplugging a MIDI cable.

Great thanks, I'm using an Ax8 but often away from my board. Yanking the midi should be fine then! I'll stop derailing the thread :)

Cheers

So much for being done with questions.

So if I no longer use the GCPro and instead use the Bandhelper app., my expression pedal plugs directly into the back of Axe-Fx in the Pedal jack, under Control?

So much for being done with questions.

So if I no longer use the GCPro and instead use the Bandhelper app., my expression pedal plugs directly into the back of Axe-Fx in the Pedal jack, under Control?

Correct, and you'll need to calibrate it and also possibly reassign an External Controller to the Pedal port.

You might want to pick up a Morningstar MC6 foot controller, 2 expression pedal inputs, Axe-Fx tuner compatible, and you can use it's midi in/out to send midi from your tablet to the Axe-Fx. (unless you're brave enough to go wireless) You can also select/scroll and launch tracks from it. Set up extra banks (recalled with song changes from the app) with different Expression pedal CC assignments, if needed.

Check out Setlist maker or its counterpart BandHelper. Put the track in your phone/tablet, set up MIDI messages, play the track and press the buttons at the right time (while recording automation) and you're done. Hit play the next time and all the commands go right when you recorded them.

Holy cow! Didn't realize Setlistmaker could do that. I haven't used SLM for 4-5 years but fired it up the other night to set up the midi start patches for a couple songs. Guess i need to have another look. and Seltlistmaker works dandy with the yamaha bluetooth adapter.

I use Setlist Maker just to select presets in my Axe-Fx and Voicelive Rack and clips in Ableton Live. I use Ableton for scene autiomation

program (last column) is either 0-127 or 1-128 - please try and see which is correct. its the preset number.

MSB (first column) selects the Banks (groups of 128 presets). i don't know if it starts at 0 or 1.

so hypothetically, 2 [blank] 7 would be Bank 2 preset 7 = preset 273? something like that. sorry, i don't have any gear setup.

Holy cow! Didn't realize Setlistmaker could do that. I haven't used SLM for 4-5 years but fired it up the other night to set up the midi start patches for a couple songs. Guess i need to have another look. and Seltlistmaker works dandy with the yamaha bluetooth adapter.

Check this out! The video is a bit dated, though. The steps to get the Automate button are a bit different in the newest version. It still gives you the idea of how powerful the platform is.

program (last column) is either 0-127 or 1-128 - please try and see which is correct. its the preset number.

MSB (first column) selects the Banks (groups of 128 presets). i don't know if it starts at 0 or 1.

so hypothetically, 2 [blank] 7 would be Bank 2 preset 7 = preset 273? something like that. sorry, i don't have any gear setup.

I think I get it. Then from there, how do I select a scene within the preset?

So where do I get the information to trigger presets and scenes that I enter in Bandhelper?

View attachment 38836

First number is the bank 0= bank A 0-127 1= bank B 128-384 and so on. Second number is for the scene so 1 through 8. Third number is the actual preset number. So say your in the first bank and you want to be on scene 3 of patch 44 it would be 0/3/44.

So where do I get the information to trigger presets and scenes that I enter in Bandhelper?

View attachment 38836
This only sends program changes. If you want to automate scene changes (or any other CC's) you will have to record them in the app. I never figured this out as I'm doing it in Ableton.

You can send CC info when a song is selected. That is in the Raw midi section, and is entered as 'hexadecimal'

I have to say the developer of SetlistMake is one of the busiest developers you will ever see. In the years I have been using apples IOS devices Iv never seen anyone update their apps more often than Arlo. Now i see why you have to pre set up midi messages so you can do scenes and what not.

I have to say the developer of SetlistMake is one of the busiest developers you will ever see. In the years I have been using apples IOS devices Iv never seen anyone update their apps more often than Arlo. Now i see why you have to pre set up midi messages so you can do scenes and what not.
i absolutely agree. Arlo is amazing and has given such a powerful tool to musicians everywhere! i cannot fathom gigging without BandHelper!

Ok so after hours of head scratching I figured it out for SetListMaker. You want to use the hex codes and nothing else. Don't enter any numbers for bank/cc/and preset just enter this in the hex code field.

Scene 1 enter B0 22 00
Scene 2 enter B0 22 01
Scene 3 enter B0 22 02
Scene 4 enter B0 22 03
Scene 5 enter B0 22 04
Scene 6 enter B0 22 05
Scene 7 enter B0 22 06
Scene 8 enter B0 22 07

In SetListMaker in the Database view select your database. Under that menu select MIDI Presets. Click the + Plus button to add a new song. Name the song Scene 1 and enter code B0 22 00 in the hex code field. Do this for each of the scenes you need, Plus button and add another scene. After this is set up you can just add the scene's you need to each song you'll want to automate. Whatever preset your in these scene changes just change the scenes in that preset.

Back
Top Bottom