MIDI scene change via band helper, setlist maker etc...

anhen

Hi guys

At the moment I'am using Bandhelper app (same as setlist maker) for my setlist and MIDI setup.
I have one "big" problem.

I understand how to change preset via MIDI, but I can't seem to get it right when it comes to changing scenes.

My band helper UI looks like this, this setting will call up preset 1, scene, 1

Tried for several hours different numbers but haven't got any breakthrough yet.

Anyone able to provide help or a code to illustrate changing a preset via midi or midi hex code.
Lets say I want to MIDI change to : Preset 1, Scene 2

Looks to me like you want page 136 in the AxeFX manual.
MAP FROM/TO PRESET/SCENE section.
Man I used to love Setlistmaker butIi don't know if its the devs fault or changes made to IOS but it's a big pita to set up now. Years ago you could just import a setlist that you made in iTunes and away you go. It would import the audio files and everything else you had in iTunes. Now it takes forever to do what was super simple. Super glad you can use FracPad to select a preset you want to go to.

I'm not w/ my AxeFx at the moment. But, looking at my SetListMaker app on my iPhone, I've got the following plugged in, to call up Patch #334, Scene 4....
Program Changes: 3 3 78
Raw MIDI: B0 22 03
In order to call up Scene 3, the hex code is B0 22 02. So you can probably extrapolate how that works...

Ok so after hours of head scratching I figured it out for SetListMaker. You want to use the hex codes and nothing else. Don't enter any numbers for bank/cc/and preset just enter this in the hex code field.

Scene 1 enter B0 22 00
Scene 2 enter B0 22 01
Scene 3 enter B0 22 02
Scene 4 enter B0 22 03
Scene 5 enter B0 22 04
Scene 6 enter B0 22 05
Scene 7 enter B0 22 06
Scene 8 enter B0 22 07

In SetListMaker in the Database view select your database. Under that menu select MIDI Presets. Click the + Plus button to add a new song. Name the song Scene 1 and enter code B0 22 00 in the hex code field. Do this for each of the scenes you need, Plus button and add another scene. After this is set up you can just add the scene's you need to each song you'll want to automate. Whatever preset your in these scene changes just change the scenes in that preset.

Thanks .... I will try test it tonight.

Thats a lot of effort you made there.

To understand it correctly: All presets on axe shares the same HEX, but when setlistmaker changes presets the HEX follows and use the same code? So whatever preset you choose the HEX are the same?

If I have 3 presets and want the HEX to take mig to preset 3 scene 2 how do I do this? I want t completely avoid changes presets/scenes by hand/feet.

I do not use automation for my songs as we tend to play our songs slight different every time.

So shat I need is the setlistmaker to take me to a given preset/scene when I change song

I think the heX code is almost perfekt only need that last step, maybe I should try to combine it with the other MIDI options I have like the MIDI program numbers

Last edited:
slm2.jpg
In SetListMaker I have been trying to enter the six sections of code with no luck. No matter what I enter in the first three blocks I can't get it to switch to another A.B.C.D.E.F bank. However I can switch banks and preset like this then enter the hex code to switch to a scene. This gets me to preset 278 with scene 5 selected.

View attachment 38887

In SetListMaker using this method you can switch to a patch and select what scene you want.

In the Channel area first block add Bank number.
0= Bank A
1= Bank B
2= Bank C
3+ Bank D
4= Bank E
5= Bank F
Each bank will have 128 presets 0-127

In the Channel area third blocked add Preset number. keep in mind that the number will be 0-127 so if you want preset #128 that would look like this 1 / 0 / 0

Thank a lot for your effort.
I kinda weird when i enter in forst box: 0 0 3 and in HEX:B0 22 00 it sends me to bank 49 preset 1 scene 1
Something is wrong

Thank a lot for your effort.
I kinda weird when i enter in forst box: 0 0 3 and in HEX:B0 22 00 it sends me to bank 49 preset 1 scene 1
Something is wrong
Sounds like you may have the AX8 doing mapping to 49. What is frost box?

Sorry my example is for AXE FX II. I don't have an AX8 but my buddy does and I plan to get with him tomorrow to do some gear tweaking. I will have a look at his AX8 and see if i can figure out what the numbers should be. AX8 differs from AXE FX midi bank and preset so my example above is really wrong. the scene select code is correct tho. If you look on the AX8 manual page 100-101 it has all the midi program change numbers to get to a bank and preset. In that chart its says 3,0 should pull up bank 49 preset 1. And i think when ever doing those changes it always lands you on the first scene unless you add the B0 22 01-07 hex code to specify the scene you want. I will check it out tomorrow and post back.

Ok so its pretty straight forward. You must have entered 3,0,0 rather than 0,0,3. The chart in the manual pages 100-101 gives you all the numbers you need. Each preset will have two number in the chart of the two the fist goes in the first box and the second goes in the third box (middle box is always zero). the first number being the bank 1-68 and the second being the preset 1-8. and then if you want to access a scene you enter the hex code as I stated before. Hope this helps. good luck!

@Tom Morris your helping are immense. Thank you!

Following new instructions from you makes this midi setting go to bank 17 preset 4 scene 4
Interface is in Danish, sorry for that. Program is Bandhelper (same developer as setlistmaker)

Im kinda confused now. I will keep trying different setting until something happens. Until now I dont see the logic in the behavior :)

image uploader

WORKS NOW! did use the numbers from the wrong section, manual says:

0,2 = 1:3 --- got this the wrong way around. Seems to work now... PERFECT.

In program changes box im now typing 0 "0(always zero)" 2
And hex code, the provided hex code from scene changes, works perfect

Also if its a single number put a zero in front of it. from your example it would be 01, 0 ,03. Glad you got it working!

Back
Top Bottom