Using Backing Tracks to Trigger Preset/Scene Changes w/ Bandhelper

Just normal instrument cables. I believe it would be;

Ax-Fx (Send) -> A3 (Input) -> A3 (Output) -> SDD (Input) -> SDD (Output) -> Axe-Fx (Return)

@jamesb, you can experiment with the order of the A3 and SDD. The A3 sounds better with a 'kick in the pants', so the SDD in front of it might sound better.

@jamesb, you can experiment with the order of the A3 and SDD. The A3 sounds better with a 'kick in the pants', so the SDD in front of it might sound better.
Hi Toopy thanks for your replies ,how would I go about setting it up as you describe ,I am new to all this modern stuff lol

Hi Toopy thanks for your replies ,how would I go about setting it up as you describe ,I am new to all this modern stuff lol

@jamesb, you're welcome!

As for the automation process with Bandhelper, the first thing you should do is sign-up for an account at; http://www.bandhelper.com/. The account is free for 30-days, then it only costs $10 per year for a single user. If you sign-up before the end of the 30-day trial, the remaining days from the 30-day trial are applied to the yearly membership. I signed-up for a year within 2-3 days of using the software.

Bandhelper basically consists of the web app. which is much easier for setting things up, ie. creating presets, adding audio tracks, adding lyrics, etc. Then there's the mobile app. (which is free to download and use, once you create an account), runs on an iOS device or an Android device. If you plan to use Bluetooth to control your MIDI devices, then I would recommend the iOS option, ie. iPad/iPhone, etc. If you use Bluetooth, you need the Yamaha MD-BT01; http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music-production/accessories/usb-midi/md-bt01/. If you don't want to use Bluetooth, then you need something like the M-Audio Uno; http://www.m-audio.ca/products/view/uno. If you use the Uno, you'll need a 30-pin Camera Connection Kit for the older iPad's or a Lightning Camera Connection Kit, for the newer iPad's, so you can connect the Uno to the Ipad via USB. The 30-pin is hard to find, so check eBay, Craigslist, Kijiji (Canada), etc. I found the 30-pin version (which included the SD Card Reader) on Kijiji for $25.

30-pin

upload_2017-4-15_18-40-38.png

Lightning

upload_2017-4-15_18-39-30.png

I'm currently using an original 32 GB iPad 1 that I had sitting around doing nothing and it works great. The interface is a bit different than it is on my iPad Mini, but that's because the last OS for the iPad 1 was 5.x. It still works fine though. I found the Mini to be a bit small for me, in terms of using the touch interface and seeing lyrics on the screen.

The first thing I would do is go through the tutorials on the website; http://www.bandhelper.com/tutorials/intro_videos.html. The videos are very good and you will learn everything you need to know to use the apps. This video in particular;

teaches you how to create automation tracks, which allow you to trigger the audio tracks and preset changes automatically. It's really slick.

If you're not familiar with the MIDI command structure, I would recommend reading this, Intro to MIDI for Pedalboards; https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/19359-intro-to-midi-for-pedalboards. Then look at the examples I posted earlier in this thread and you'll get a feel for how to enter the commands in Bandhelper. In terms of controlling the Axe-Fx, all the MIDI information you need is in these tables;

upload_2017-4-15_18-22-48.png

upload_2017-4-15_18-27-2.png

upload_2017-4-15_18-26-26.png
upload_2017-4-15_18-28-13.png

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask and I'll do my best to answer them for you. :)

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-15_18-23-45.png
    upload_2017-4-15_18-23-45.png
    446.4 KB · Views: 13
  • upload_2017-4-15_18-24-21.png
    upload_2017-4-15_18-24-21.png
    57.2 KB · Views: 8
  • upload_2017-4-15_18-24-56.png
    upload_2017-4-15_18-24-56.png
    57.7 KB · Views: 9
  • upload_2017-4-15_18-25-46.png
    upload_2017-4-15_18-25-46.png
    71.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
@jamesb, you're welcome!

As for the automation process with Bandhelper, the first thing you should do is sign-up for an account at; http://www.bandhelper.com/. The account is free for 30-days, then it only costs $10 per year for a single user. If you sign-up before the end of the 30-day trial, the remaining days from the 30-day trial are applied to the yearly membership. I signed-up for a year within 2-3 days of using the software.

Bandhelper basically consists of the web app. which is much easier for setting things up, ie. creating presets, adding audio tracks, adding lyrics, etc. Then there's the mobile app. (which is free to download and use, once you create an account), runs on an iOS device or an Android device. If you plan to use Bluetooth to control your MIDI devices, then I would recommend the iOS option, ie. iPad/iPhone, etc. If you use Bluetooth, you need the Yamaha MD-BT01; http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music-production/accessories/usb-midi/md-bt01/. If you don't want to use Bluetooth, then you need something like the M-Audio Uno; http://www.m-audio.ca/products/view/uno. If you use the Uno, you'll need a 30-pin Camera Connection Kit for the older iPad's or a Lightning Camera Connection Kit, for the newer iPad's, so you can connect the Uno to the Ipad via USB. The 30-pin is hard to find, so check eBay, Craigslist, Kijiji (Canada), etc. I found the 30-pin version (which included the SD Card Reader) on Kijiji for $25.

30-pin

View attachment 39409

Lightning

View attachment 39408

I'm currently using an original 32 GB iPad 1 that I had sitting around doing nothing and it works great. The interface is a bit different than it is on my iPad Mini, but that's because the last OS for the iPad 1 was 5.x. It still works fine though. I found the Mini to be a bit small for me, in terms of using the touch interface and seeing lyrics on the screen.

The first thing I would do is go through the tutorials on the website; http://www.bandhelper.com/tutorials/intro_videos.html. The videos are very good and you will learn everything you need to know to use the apps. This video in particular;

teaches you how to create automation tracks, which allow you to trigger the audio tracks and preset changes automatically. It's really slick.

If you're not familiar with the MIDI command structure, I would recommend reading this, Intro to MIDI for Pedalboards; https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/19359-intro-to-midi-for-pedalboards. Then look at the examples I posted earlier in this thread and you'll get a feel for how to enter the commands in Bandhelper. In terms of controlling the Axe-Fx, all the MIDI information you need is in these tables;

View attachment 39400

View attachment 39406

View attachment 39405
View attachment 39407

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask and I'll do my best to answer them for you. :)

Fantastic in depth reply NOW this should keep me busy for a while before the questions start lol

This is just my 2c on how I approached backing tracks. I’ve had my Ultra for a number of years and have worked on a gig rig set-up that would allow backing track integration…either in a band or a solo setting.

I have worked with midi controllers, lap tops & DAW triggering, BIAB, before coming up with a set up that would not encounter glitches or crashes that could stop a show ( I’m just a club player and don’t have bucks for double systems in case one goes down). I use straight wave or high KB mp3 for backing tracks, that can be triggered by hand or foot control. It doesn’t crash or glitch from fluctuating voltage due to clubs with bad wiring.

I got a Gater mobile studio rack/pull cart ( see pics below). First in is a power Regulator…not just a conditioner…to keep all digital devices in a steady voltage source. To mix multiple ins & outs a rack mounted MOTU Traveler…which comes with free Que Mix software, to set up (up to 4) routing mixes. Use the mixer like your doing a band mix. My Ultra is controlled by the Yamaha MFC10 foot controller. The bottom row is 5 different amp & pedal set ups. The top row is individual bypass switches for whatever pedals are with the amp selected on the bottom 5 switches. A built in exp pedal and an external for wah and say roto. To inject some tube tone and sag before the AxeFx, I use a UA610 preamp ( a bit large, but great added tone). I have also used a Sarno steel guitar Black Box, which is a bit more compact. Backing tracks are played thru the Roland Sonic Cell audio interface. It has a USB port for playback of files on a thumb drive and a screen to show your set list by folder or song. There is a finger master volume control for on the fly balance of live to backing. It comes with free software to set up its internal synth (for midi files) and a song librarian for set list arranging (very helpful).

Both the Ultra and the backing tracks play into powered monitors by FBT (Verve 12ma & 8ma). Set up with Que Mix’s virtual mixer, I balance live to backing ahead of time. I run the Ultra as a W/D/W rig. The dry out bypasses the mixer and goes straight from the Ultra to a Fryette Power Station & a 1x12 mesa open back. To be flexible, I can leave the dry side home and I have doubled the amp rigs in the Ultra so I can tap either w/d/w/ or standard set up ( into just the monitors). On a really small gig I can use only the Verve 8ma monitor. I run one extra exp pedal as an overall volume out foot control from the Ultra. If I get to loud, I can back it down to a better mix with the backing track volume.

Here are the pics.

The case
Gator%20mobile%20case.jpg

The rig
PB280356.jpg

PB280360.jpg

P6060751_1.jpg

foot%20controller%20%20pedals.jpg

P6060750.jpg

P6060752%20b.jpg

P6060754.jpg

P6060753.jpg

Show%20gear%20set%20up.jpg

Little late to this thread. Had never heard of "Bandhelper" prior, but it sounds as though it might solve number of issues for me.

What I would like to be able to do is the following; automate axe patch/scene changes as well as MainStage 3 patch changes in synch with click/BT. Some songs we do, use eight different scenes and two different guitar synths...its a pain doing the tap-dance. This thread seems to show a better way. My question is (being a midiot) what additional gear do I need to made this midi switching work?

Have: Sapphire pro 40/ Axe Mk2/MFC/Ipad/Camera connector/MacBook Pro /Axion61 Midi Keyboard.

Appreciate the knowledge.

Just gotta love Arlo and his commitment and support of Bandhelper! Just received this email from Arlo about the latest version with a great new feature I requested. It allows you to use your iPad like a traditional MIDI controller with IA switches.

"Arlo Leach has added a new message to this help ticket:

In the new app version released today, you make two MIDI presets that send on/off messages, then on the first preset's edit page, select the second preset in the Pair With Preset section. Then just add the first preset to your song. Then clicking its button will alternately send the first and the second preset, like a toggle switch.

You can also now attach presets to layouts, if you want to access a few common presets from every song.

More info about the new version is here:

http://forum.arlomedia.com/index.php/topic,1785.0.html"

I've been banging my head against the wall for a number of hours. I did well with calling up a preset at the beginning of a song. I cannot figure out how to choose a scene, either with the included preset or a subsequent change via automation. My Axe Fx III simply isn't changing scenes this way. Most of what I've read here makes sense to me, I'm just not getting the expected results.

I've been banging my head against the wall for a number of hours. I did well with calling up a preset at the beginning of a song. I cannot figure out how to choose a scene, either with the included preset or a subsequent change via automation. My Axe Fx III simply isn't changing scenes this way. Most of what I've read here makes sense to me, I'm just not getting the expected results.
What CC have you set on the Axe Fx III for Scenes? The Axe Fx II defaults to 34... Otherwise, scene changes are identical in function.

Note: I have not read this whole thread and it was written before Axe Fx III existed, so it may require additional work.

And now, a blue tooth question. Now that I am able to automate scene changes for the AXE III in Bandhelper, which is a bit of a pain to edit the time to change scenes exactly where/when I want, is the latency of blue tooth consistant? I don't want to spend time editing the placement only to find that it could vary from location to location or venue to venue.

My experience with blue tooth is 2 days.

The pain factor stems from when testing the precise moment of a scene change, you have to start from the beginning of the song everytime.

I've since discovered you can attach a midi file to start playing with the audio track. I think this will be a more efficient approach if the song has several patch and or scene changes. Likely one could add all kinds of crazy automation with this method as well.

For a simple two or three scene change song, tapping in the automation in Bandhelper works well. If you have to play through the song a few times to get the changes or edits exactly right, well I need to practice the songs anyway.

By the way, I've also found I can do some cool things with the irig blueboard, including scene changes on the Axe Fx III

Back
Top Bottom