Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 7.00 Firmware Release

As a MARK I user I am grateful that Cliff has put in the extra work to keep us in the update loop. I feel kind of like a jerk for even asking about the Archon but I thought it had been mentioned as in the works for this update... that would have been awesome, while I have never played one I do dig the clips.

As I am painfully aware that my fw update expiration is quickly coming, I can say that if I get nothing else new I can surely be content with what I've gotten. I've had this unit since December of 2011, I want to say it came with fw 3.04 or something like that, the improvements over the last 5+ years have been amazing, it went from being a better option than my Line 6, Boss and Randall MTS gear live and better option than Amplitube, Revalver, Guitar Rig for recording to being as good as the real thing. And better in some cases...

All of that said if I could have any more wishes for my unit they would be; for the comp pedals to maybe get an update, possibly including the addition of a Barefoot Pale Green, the flange get some love, maybe even adding a MXR, and the addition of an OCD and DS- 1, maybe a Maxon 808 for extra credit, and an easier way to set up auto wah and auto volume swells. But honestly at this point I feel a bit greedy asking for any of that. This truly is my single best music gear purchase ever.

Cliff did mention Archon and a few others things over on a thread on gear page, but I don't think it was confirmed to be added to this update
I don't believe the PRS has a schematic which likely would mean a lot of work under the hood
Considering how massive this update was and how many measurements had to be redone I am sure the last thing that you would want to do is
More circuit tracing and umm mesurements at this time

Hi @FractalAudio

What Ownhammer pack are these new IR files from ???

- Cab #142 with “1x12 DLX P12R Fat”
- Cab #146 with “4x10 SUPER VERB CTS FAT”
- Cab #148 with “4x12 MAR PR-M20B FULL”
- Cab #149 with “4x12 TRAD V60 FULL”

Are these MIX ir files ?

Last edited:
Hi @FractalAudio

What Ownhammer pack are these new IR files from ???

- Cab #142 with “1x12 DLX P12R Fat”
- Cab #146 with “4x10 SUPER VERB CTS FAT”
- Cab #148 with “4x12 MAR PR-M20B FULL”
- Cab #149 with “4x12 TRAD V60 FULL”

Are these MIX ir files ?

And will these be made available for Mark I/II users, as well? The replaced IRs were/are also available in the firmware .zip file (Ultra res samples folder).
#57 is freaking great and I'd love those four others, too.

Recto 2 Red Modern is all I use and I'm loving it like crazy. Feels a bit different than beta 2. I can't imagine it sounding much better unless I change pickups or something. Feels a bit more aggressive and smooth at the same time. I could be imagining it.

Do you have some suggestions as to how to get a tight distortion sound out of the Recto amps? I see people constantly talking about how great they are but I have yet to be able to get a tight tone out of them without a drive in front and tons of advanced tweaks in the amp model, plus a PEQ after the amp. If that is the only way to get them to sound tight, then I will just stick with the USA LEAD or USA PRE LD2 models I guess. I just feel like maybe I'm missing something about them. I have never played one in real life so no idea if they are just supposed to sound loose and flubby.

Do you have some suggestions as to how to get a tight distortion sound out of the Recto amps? I see people constantly talking about how great they are but I have yet to be able to get a tight tone out of them without a drive in front and tons of advanced tweaks in the amp model, plus a PEQ after the amp. If that is the only way to get them to sound tight, then I will just stick with the USA LEAD or USA PRE LD2 models I guess. I just feel like maybe I'm missing something about them. I have never played one in real life so no idea if they are just supposed to sound loose and flubby.

Rectos are definitely known for that big, fuzzy, loose and flubby sound.
I really like that for rock and some metal.
If you like amps with a tighter low and midrange definitely check out other amps like the USA models.

I'm pretty new to the Axe, so take everything I tell you with a grain of salt. But so far it seems like you have to tighten them up in the Cab block. Running the two recto cabs (SM57 and M160) in stereo summed to mono, adding some motor drive, dephase, one is delayed slightly, etc. etc. all seemed to help me. Right now I'm thinking for my needs that the Mk IV (USA Lead) models might be more what's necessary though, maybe for you as well? They seem way tighter and crunchier.

For starters, engage the Cut switch, change the power amp sag value to .5 and change the preamp tubes to 12AX7B. You could also lower the Low Freq Res value a bit but that would also affect accuracy. I don't know what people are doing to make them sound good without the Cut switch. I use the TS-808 before the amp with the gain at .5 and the level at 50%. That tightens it up a good deal while also keeping added harshness to a minimum

I have limited experiences playing the real thing, but it's normal for a stock Recto to kind of sound like you're playing with the neck pickup regardless. That's where overdrives before the amp come in. If your looking for the absolute tightest amp, Rectos probably won't do it for you. I gravitate towards them for the specific kind of mid scoop they have along with a sort of broad bass response that makes me wanna punch something.

What were the few parameters to adjust the "spit" of the Amp?
I'm messing around with the Dizzy V4 Silver 3, with a Stereo Ultra Res 1. ML Zilla All Mix
& 2. ML Dizzy Djent Mix K100 and it's 99.9% there, but a little bit "spitty" up top.
Just want to smooth that out a touch & can't remember what the parameters were.
I looked up "spit" & couldn't find it..

What were the few parameters to adjust the "spit" of the Amp?
I'm messing around with the Dizzy V4 Silver 3, with a Stereo Ultra Res 1. ML Zilla All Mix
& 2. ML Dizzy Djent Mix K100 and it's 99.9% there, but a little bit "spitty" up top.
Just want to smooth that out a touch & can't remember what the parameters were.
I looked up "spit" & couldn't find it..
PI shift in the power section tab(?)

My understanding is that this is how they are IRL, and the standard method to tighten one is to use a boost/OD in front of them to essentially achieve a low cut+mid-boost. Example TS9 gain 0, tone 7, level 7.

Back
Top Bottom