Atomic CLR problem

Thats my thoughts exactly..now you have to do repairs yourself on these things, screw it...

come to think of it i had to do this to a degree as well..some of the screws were stripped in the wood holding on the power module. Had to stick glue and wood toothpicks in the holes so i could tighten the screw down. haha

Well I don't know about others but mine are out of warranty (bought them 3+ years ago) so for me easier and cheaper to fix myself.

I have to say this. When one of my speaker magnets split in half after a small fall. Tom took very good care of me. Exchanged out of warranty for only shipping costs. And never had a problem with communication.
But, if I can keep him out of the loop and save me money and time to repair. I would like to do that.

Last edited:
^^^ I agree on all of this, but this shouldn't be happening in the FIRST place right??! i mean sure there are bad batches of stuff but if you use them full time like i did in paying situations it sucks how unstable mine were..I know i know, will people chime in saying ive had mine forever and im a full time musician and never had a problem, great!. i just think the made in Chinna quality control is bad on these power supply's.

The bad capacitor problem has been a problem for a lot of builder's. I used to see a Dell (and others) computer every week with this issue. But these arent bulging or leaking. Just bad. Don't get me started on all the CRT monitors I used to repair. Ahh the good old days..

Last edited:
^^^ I agree on all of this, but this shouldn't be happening in the FIRST place right??! i mean sure there are bad batches of stuff but if you use them full time like i did in paying situations it sucks how unstable mine were..I know i know, will people chime in saying ive had mine forever and im a full time musician and never had a problem, great!. i just think the made in Chinna quality control is bad on these power supply's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

Given the caps replaced are all the same rating 220uF/35V/105C perhaps it was a bad batch that hypex might have sourced at some point.

When replacing failed caps. I like to bump up the voltage rating by a step, if the higher-voltage cap will fit on the board. Just in case the designer cut the spec a little close. ;)

Well it's all a trade-off, you also will increase ESR with a higher voltage rating, which can lead to higher internal temperature in the capacitor and consequently reduced life. This being a switched power supply I think I'll stick to the 35V rating.

Well it's all a trade-off, you also will increase ESR with a higher voltage rating, which can lead to higher internal temperature in the capacitor and consequently reduced life.
Does the higher ESR for a 50v cap raise the internal temperature by more than a few degrees compared to a 35v cap?

Does the higher ESR for a 50v cap raise the internal temperature by more than a few degrees compared to a 35v cap?

I guess a 50V cap would be longer in size in practice so I guess not an issue like you said if you can fit it.

While there have been a few units that have gone down as a result of a bad power supply cap since production started rolling a few years ago, it has not been a rampant issue. In recent production we have made some adjustments to make units even more reliable. If anyone is having an issue, please let me know.

If for some reason you haven't been able to get through (or haven't received a response that WE sent) try me via PM here. Since we've installed our new email and customer service software as well as added personnel a while back there have been very few issues with spam or communication in general. It has been a top priority and will continue to be. Thanks!

Private message sent.

Well replacing the caps didnt work for me. Sent a message to Tom King, within an hour got an RMA# to send back panel for repair.

So, I have two atomic CLR NEOs. Have had much trouble with them including having to physically send them back to the Australian distributor - thankfully it has not cost me and the distributor Independent Music (Andrew Farnham) has been fantastic.

Both my low frequency drivers had a problem. The glue holding the dust caps had separated causing resonance and vibration at bedroom volumes. Shockingly bad quality. Now i read all the posts where the power supply module goes bad, caps being replaced by DIYers etc. I wonder if/when it starts to go wrong for me.

I recently bought a Mackie DLM 12S Sub woofer to add to my CLRs. I suppose its my upgrade path when the NEOs inevitably will go wrong. I shall just add two Mackie DLM 12 tops. The CLRs will get junked. $ AUD 4000 wasted !! I am surprised people are still buying CLRs.

So, I have two atomic CLR NEOs. Have had much trouble with them including having to physically send them back to the Australian distributor - thankfully it has not cost me and the distributor Independent Music (Andrew Farnham) has been fantastic.

Both my low frequency drivers had a problem. The glue holding the dust caps had separated causing resonance and vibration at bedroom volumes. Shockingly bad quality. Now i read all the posts where the power supply module goes bad, caps being replaced by DIYers etc. I wonder if/when it starts to go wrong for me.

I recently bought a Mackie DLM 12S Sub woofer to add to my CLRs. I suppose its my upgrade path when the NEOs inevitably will go wrong. I shall just add two Mackie DLM 12 tops. The CLRs will get junked. $ AUD 4000 wasted !! I am surprised people are still buying CLRs.

Crazy ain't it? I forgot, I had the dust cap thing happen as well. Man if these fucking things were more reliable it would be awesome. Well at least the ones i had, cause they sounded killer. good luck man

Thanks Jazzgtr14. Yes, I agree, they sound killer, if TK can just sort out the reliability. In Australia the dealer now has an arrangement with an old school technical craftsman who no questions asked just replaces components.

Has anyone A/B'd a Neo or a standard CLR with Xitones? They seem to be fully legit with the weight within 3 lbs of a Neo and a matrix power amp - seems like a no brainer if the tone is as good in the Xitone wedge.

Has anyone A/B'd a Neo or a standard CLR with Xitones? They seem to be fully legit with the weight within 3 lbs of a Neo and a matrix power amp - seems like a no brainer if the tone is as good in the Xitone wedge.

HI i havent, but i am intrigued by the Xitones forsure. have heard alot of good things about them. I think they are a little smaller cabnet wise that the CLR's ?

HI i havent, but i am intrigued by the Xitones forsure. have heard alot of good things about them. I think they are a little smaller cabnet wise that the CLR's ?

I have in my home rig an active Xitone and a CLR in
stereo. They are very comparable, but the Xitone has been more dependable, with a slightly smaller footprint.

@bradlake 1,000 likes! Seriously your the 1st to give a comparison of the two! So;......likely new thread needed here. Maybe you can start one?

I have owned a CLR in the past and can attest to the quality of tone as with countless others here on the forum.
Using the CLR as the baseline tone in an FRFR we are shooting for can you compare the; flatness, sound dispersion, same pre sets through either and any pros or cons you can think of?
Thanks!!!

Little off topic but imagine if Fractal came out with their own FRFR cab, a 10 and 12" wedge. has this ever been discussed? im sure it has. Would be a "take my money" scenario forsure.

Back
Top Bottom