Atomic CLR problem

The man who has never lost an internet argument? He has the answers to all questions. But time and space do not always permit him to fully explain the answers.

Ah, well arguments are like a game and you have to pick your battles and sometimes to quote an old 80's movie line "The only winning move is not to play"!

I have never meet anyone that knows everything but there is always first time for that! As too fully explaining answers, depending on the person asking the questions sometimes one can get away with the shorter versions. It's a fairly simple thing! it just requires a basic vocabulary (the kind without $100 words) and little patients!

Man I have not beef with my CLR. I love it actually but anything that Cliff comes up with will always have my attention. The guy is good at what he does

I thought I'd add my experience with the Atomic CLR's to the discussion.

I bought a CLR from Atomic Amps very early on - 2nd batch to ship if memory serves me right. Given that I have only rarely used a stereo rig (live, rehearsal, and home - I was an old school vintage tube amp guy) I ordered just one active wedge CLR. Like most anyone who has played the AxeFX through one I was, and remain, wholly impressed with the CLR's performance as a true FRFR system, with its wide dispersion, with its very effective DSP and the versatility it affords, and with its performance at ridiculously high output level. What's not to like.

Within a few weeks of its arrival the power amp / DSP mode in my new CLR failed. In my case I was playing in my music room and the CLR suddenly lost all output. The power indicator light was on but there was no output signal. No change after a power cycle, no change after leaving the module powered off and power disconnected to completely cool before another attempt.

I sent an email to Tom explaining the issue and received a reply within hours. After a brief email exchange we decided to move the discussion to a voice call. I asked Tom if it would be alright for me to remove the amp module for some basic troubleshooting without affecting my warranty. He had no issues with my request. I checked impedance for the horn and LF driver - both were in spec. We both agreed that the amp module required repair or replacement. Unfortunately this was so close to initial release of the product that no repair replacement amp modules were readily available, not without cannibalizing a new CLR. As I had no pressing need for my CLR at that time I posted to send my amp module in for repair. I shipped it to Atomic via USPS Priority Mail. Within a week the repaired module arrived at my doorstep. I installed the amp module and, with regular use, it has performed flawlessly ever since.

Not long after this issue was resolved I located another CLR, this one in like new condition with minimal use from the original owner. I purchased it and it arrived a week or so later. The used CLR has been operating in stereo along side my first CLR ever since, and with no drama. I use the pair with the AxeFX II, as a second pair of nearfield monitors, and as a music playback system.

I can't recall what specifically was repaired to restore my amp module to working condition, I only remember that the point of failure fit with the type of failure. This incident caused me to doubt the dependability of my CLR (or both upon receipt of the second unit) but Tom's response to my initial email and quick resolution helped to raise my confidence in using the CLR(s) live and at jam sessions.

Reading this thread is my first exposure to the troubles others have experienced with their CLR's and I find myself once again concerned that future faults may occur with one or both of my CLR's, though this concern is only for the inconvenience such a fault would present while waiting for repair or replacement. I have other nearfield monitors and I am no longer gigging. I certainly hope that Atomic Amps is able to find a permanent solution to this issue, primarily for those who depend on their CLR(s) for gigging use. The active CLR is an amazing product. It would be a real shame if the CLR gained a reputation for being unreliable.

On the topic of a Fractal designed alternative - the CLR will be a very tough act to follow based on performance alone. With that said I am genuinely excited to see Fractal Audio working on their own FRFR system. They've yet to turn out a poor product.

I thought I'd add my experience with the Atomic CLR's to the discussion.

I bought a CLR from Atomic Amps very early on - 2nd batch to ship if memory serves me right. Given that I have only rarely used a stereo rig (live, rehearsal, and home - I was an old school vintage tube amp guy) I ordered just one active wedge CLR. Like most anyone who has played the AxeFX through one I was, and remain, wholly impressed with the CLR's performance as a true FRFR system, with its wide dispersion, with its very effective DSP and the versatility it affords, and with its performance at ridiculously high output level. What's not to like.

Within a few weeks of its arrival the power amp / DSP mode in my new CLR failed. In my case I was playing in my music room and the CLR suddenly lost all output. The power indicator light was on but there was no output signal. No change after a power cycle, no change after leaving the module powered off and power disconnected to completely cool before another attempt.

I sent an email to Tom explaining the issue and received a reply within hours. After a brief email exchange we decided to move the discussion to a voice call. I asked Tom if it would be alright for me to remove the amp module for some basic troubleshooting without affecting my warranty. He had no issues with my request. I checked impedance for the horn and LF driver - both were in spec. We both agreed that the amp module required repair or replacement. Unfortunately this was so close to initial release of the product that no repair replacement amp modules were readily available, not without cannibalizing a new CLR. As I had no pressing need for my CLR at that time I posted to send my amp module in for repair. I shipped it to Atomic via USPS Priority Mail. Within a week the repaired module arrived at my doorstep. I installed the amp module and, with regular use, it has performed flawlessly ever since.....

I can't recall what specifically was repaired to restore my amp module to working condition, I only remember that the point of failure fit with the type of failure. This incident caused me to doubt the dependability of my CLR (or both upon receipt of the second unit) but Tom's response to my initial email and quick resolution helped to raise my confidence in using the CLR(s) live and at jam sessions.

Just to add to this..
I had basically the exact same experience.. I bought a pair very early on in their release and one of mine took a dump while at home playing through them after maybe 4-5 months. Tom talked w/ me I eventually had to remove the amp module and send it to Tom for a replacement- I paid shipping. Both CLR's have performed fine since then, although I do not gig them routinely/heavily. They do sound great for their intended purposes- no question about it.

I'm all for seeing what FAS might create though!

You received yours 2 weeks ago? How did you even get to purchase one. I've been sending emails and I'm on the reserve list to buy a Neo and I can't get anyone to respond and give me any idea how long till they will be available. I was told months ago it would be around 6 weeks. Since then nothing. No response to emails. No email from being on reserve list. I think they sound amazing but I gig regularly and just can't wait till they feel I am worthy of a response. Xitone may be my next option. If I could just try one out to make sure, I would Xitone today. They have very good with communication when requesting any information.

Hi.

i had two CLR Neos. while they did sound good...went through 3 or 4 power modules as well as a speaker between the pair..sometimes it was easy to get a hold of Tom and other times took weeks or longer to get a new power module. sold them.
What are you running now? I need a amp small enough for the home studio and large enough for small gigs out! With the AX8.

Yikes- I'm more than worried about all these CLR issues- AND the owner has not addressed them- which is extremely ODD. Onward and Upward!

BOLTcreative, Atomic CLR's are amazing and I HIGHLY recommend them (I have 3). Tom King has helped me out like he has others...be careful of making assumptions based on this thread...this is an extremely high quality speaker and a very reputable company.

BOLTcreative, Atomic CLR's are amazing and I HIGHLY recommend them (I have 3). Tom King has helped me out like he has others...be careful of making assumptions based on this thread...this is an extremely high quality speaker and a very reputable company.

i agree about the cab and speaker, however..the power module is not HIGH quality. its cheap parts made in Chinna.

My Atomic CLR Wedge has just completely packed in, and its just over a year old. Devastating considering how new it is and more devastating to find out that the warranty is only 1 year? Is that normal, because it would have put me off had I thought about it in hindsight.

- I dont gig
- I dont lug it about
- It simply sits in a nice warm room and I play my Axe through it every other day or so.
- It just died in the middle of playing. Just cut out, nothing. Its like its on (as the red light comes on), but theres nothing going on inside. No noise, no whirring. Nothing.

Has anyone else had a similar thing happen to theirs and overcome it? I was about to buy another one so I had a pair and then this happened. I am completely gutted!

My Atomic CLR Wedge has just completely packed in, and its just over a year old. Devastating considering how new it is and more devastating to find out that the warranty is only 1 year? Is that normal, because it would have put me off had I thought about it in hindsight.

- I dont gig
- I dont lug it about
- It simply sits in a nice warm room and I play my Axe through it every other day or so.
- It just died in the middle of playing. Just cut out, nothing. Its like its on (as the red light comes on), but theres nothing going on inside. No noise, no whirring. Nothing.

Has anyone else had a similar thing happen to theirs and overcome it? I was about to buy another one so I had a pair and then this happened. I am completely gutted!

@VanDeath

41995522.jpg

Hi All,

Just wanted to report back on the amazing customer service Tom provided on this issues. Absolutely top class, and a really nice guy too. He helped me personally to take the amp out the back and someone is going to pick it up in the next few days.

I will personally be buying a second CLR in the new year and despite this would still recommend others do too.

Thanks
Ben

Back
Top Bottom