New 18.00 Public Beta

The other thing that is happening for me with this update is, there are a bunch of amps that I just never bonded with - until now. It was never an issue worth even thinking about because there were so many great sounding amps in the box. But I have gone through at least 150 of the amps after updating to 18, and I have yet to hit one that doesn't sound absolutely great. I notice so much more distinction of character. A perfect example is the Princeton sim. Before i would dial it up and give it an appropriate cab and ask myself, really? People play this thing? But now, I'm like yeah! Now I understand. Can't possibly put my thanks to Cliff and team into words.

My observation too, I used to find some small Fender amps useless, now I love them, although I won't necessarily use them with my cover band

Cliff made a relevant point a while back: if you get the EQ right, most people will hear no difference, and getting the EQ right is almost trivial with tone matching. But getting the subtleties of an amp's distortion right—that's a whole 'nother ballgame.

The more you play—and critically listen to—different amps, the more refined your ear for distortion becomes (how it performs on the attack, how it changes as it rings out, how it changes with changes in gain structure, etc.). That's what sets a good modeler apart. And it has a big effect on feel.
True. My understanding of tube amp sounds have progressed a lot with the Axe

+ 1 on knowing more about amps and speakers since being a Fractal owner.

It's really helped me with my regular amp rigs. Tremendously.

Biggest jump so far

As of this writing, the latest firmware is v18 public beta version 2. After reading a couple of Cliff's posts, it looks like we're about to get the official v18 within the next couple of days.

I just wanted to chime in and compliment the work on this firmware. I've had the AXE FX II for about two years and this is the biggest jump from one firmware to the next in terms of feel. The Axe sounded great from the start, but I find it ever easier to dial in a good sound. The strings feel more liquid under my fingers. Excellent work.

PS. Current favorite parameters: lowering input drive, pushing master vol and dialing in the Xformer Match

I hope they release this soon. I've put off getting the beta version and it has been a tough wait!

I was waiting too, but when they put out axe edit 3.1.5 I finally caved in. I can't really comment on the change though because I have only had my xl for a couple weeks and didn't have enough time with FW 17 to make a judgement.

It doesn't make sense to me but..
Is anybody feeling less gain after updating to AE 3.1.5?
I don't know if it could change anything in the presets, but my rhythm presets feel like there's less gain..

Anyone else notice that the Fender Twin got brittle? I made adjustments to correct but converted patch seemed to not migrate well.

Anyone else notice that the Fender Twin got brittle? I made adjustments to correct but converted patch seemed to not migrate well.
For me, the Twin is the best it's ever been.

Last edited:
Yek. How come your avatar is four times the size of mere mortal men?

Had to make mine so small the funny bit is unclear.

It doesn't make sense to me but..
Is anybody feeling less gain after updating to AE 3.1.5?
I don't know if it could change anything in the presets, but my rhythm presets feel like there's less gain..

Yes, I did on the one preset I am working with now, but that could of happened because the values were changed in the amp block. Since I didn't backup the preset before upgrading I can't tell if that is 100% the case but yes I did notice it on at least one preset.

Yek. How come your avatar is four times the size of mere mortal men?

Had to make mine so small the funny bit is unclear.

Maybe it's because I have some level of moderator rights, I really don't know.

Back
Top Bottom