It's been (mostly) fun...

Understand everything but taking down your videos. What's the point of that? Seems spiteful.
But taking down your videos? I have to say that this is where my understanding ends. You definitely come out as a crybaby in this, who takes away everything after he can't have something.
I disagree (I get it). By taking down the videos, this takes away any future messages/inquiries that Chris might receive on that particular video or subject. Starting with a “clean slate” so to say.

John

Just want to say that without Chris' help, Gigwrx Fx Labels would have never gotten off the ground. He put in many unpaid hours of help to get our website up and running. I've tried repeatedly to get him a set of labels, but he hasn't gotten back to me on what sets he wants. CALL ME, Labels for life Chris, l'm just sayin' [emoji1]

Chris has been a major contributor to this forum and has helped me and many others. Always thought he was or should have been a beta tester.

@Chris........I will miss your input here on the forum, I know many others will as well!
Merry Christmas, and if I, or Gigwrx can help you with your future products or ideas in any way, never hesitate to ask.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited:
Chris buddy, think bigger.

make a knowledgeable series on the Axe-fx, and make people love it so much, that they can't live without the information.

Then make more.

and sell it for something worth your time.

that simple.

make it a business, not an emotional pursuit. Nobody owes you nothing if you don't charge for it, but if you want business from everyone, you need to make it deep. Ask for 300 questions easy and hard, from the group, disappear for 6 months and solve everyone's question, and come back with an awesome product. You really are good at what you do Chris. From the ones I saw it was very informational and thought out.

make it happen.

I respect the amount of time it takes to make a video being a videomaker myself.
I appreciate your frustration at not being able to make money ( goes with the territory of being an artist am afraid ! ).
But taking a step back, you have to realize Cliff and FAS have been busting their a$$es too working on endless firmwares, axe edit etc... and like yourself, giving all their hard work away for free.
I understand your need to make an income and can only thank you for the videos you made, they were personally essential for me.
Wishing you all the best for your future ventures - there's no doubt you have a great talent in this field.

IMHO you have a big marketing problem. I visit this forum as a "Spectator" and put in some posts from time to time since 2011, Allthough I did notice the high level of your inputs and precise explanations, I never got the view of the impressive list of your activity as you exposed hereabove allthough it surely is what you did and certainly with a top notch quality. So why didn't I feel adressed myself by all this massive work ? It's very difficult to put yourself one the exterior side of your own vision and take a look at it for how to make things function better.

It's regrettable you stop at this point. Why not consider to promote your activity otherwise; clear and explicit links in your posts, put up specific threads, clearly listed and linked; be more VISIBLE. There's nothing to be shamed about promoting yourself regarding the real work you've put behind it. Put up your video-store, define the right pricing for access, a pricing level that doesn't put a barrier where people won't click anymore. Example : my 17 year old son has put up an activity around some video-game and created a complete site & server with contests etc around the game. Lowering his level to adequate pricing levels where fellow youngsters will click without having to think too much kind of tripled his income. The barrier is very subtle, you'll have test probably.

Further, well, not all forum participants are Youtube experts nor need additional video assistance. As far as concerning myself, the only vids I ever digged on the forum about programming the Axe Fx are a video Simeon made about the use of controllers and another one for programming a U2 patch.

What is the average age and experience of Axe Fx Users, how many are we here, what is our available time per day for Axe Fx and how do we prefer to spend this time ? Spending 2k+ on a unit doesn't mean a consumer is ready to invest for assistance; or maybe he would be at a very accessible price level.

Last but not least: I hope you're having a merry merry X-mas with the people you love and maybe "au revoir" in the near future ?

I suggest a different strategy instead of quitting. The best predictor of the future is the past so, look to where the path led and be there waiting next time instead of following. Expectations fu@k everything up!
I haven't seen any of your video's but it was nice to know they were there if needed, and I always enjoyed reading your posts and opinions. I hope you change your mind.

I'm sorry that you feel this way. Honestly I had no idea of the extent of your business endeavor. I saw you post around here, helping people, but had no idea that you had a series of videos or were doing live chat assistance. And if I wasn't aware then you can be sure many others weren't. Part of being a successful business is marketing. You need to get the word out. And there are no guarantees. We live in a society were many believe that information should be free regardless of the effort that went into collecting and managing that information.

Look at the firmware updates. In addition to running a business, dealing with supply chain issues, personnel issues, dirty competitors, lawsuits, etc., etc., I still manage to devote 40 hours a week on top of that to algorithm development, design and code. And what do I get in return from some people? "Where's that amp model I've been asking for? I've been asking for a year now. You don't care about us". Or when you show up to work one day and some slime-bag lawyer is suing you claiming someone slipped in your parking lot (two years ago). Some days I absolutely hate this industry but I love engineering and science.

So keep your chin up. You have skills, you just need to work on making those skills profitable.

I think you were on the right track! High quality videos! Great content!

Marketing and online appearance were the only back draws, but they were moving to the right direction IMHO!

I know money is factor to create a pro looking website, but it is essential.

Wallimann did an awesome job with appearance. People believe him, he knows stuff without actually watching the content. This is key!

Actually I wouldn't mind to help you!

Let me know!

I really think you should keep going!

I think you were on the right track! High quality videos! Great content!

Marketing and online appearance were the only back draws, but they were moving to the right direction IMHO!

I know money is factor to create a pro looking website, but it is essential.

Wallimann did an awesome job with appearance. People believe him, he knows stuff without actually watching the content. This is key!

Actually I wouldn't mind to help you!

Let me know!

I really think you should keep going!

Very awesome of you sir!

Hi Chris,

I really thank you for the help you gave me in my past glorious year of Axe ownership on this forum.

I had no idea you were setting up this kind of venture and those types of new videos.

If you market what you are offering more clearly with teaser videos, I believe you will be successful.

What shot your last web venture in the foot, so to speak, besides the lack of clear marketing & premium video teasers, was that you already had so much good full-length content on YouTube for free. Also, if you premium chat content had some sort of library of searchable knowledge, that would be helpful.

One of the main attractions of this forum is that you can search and find a lot of answers quickly.

The basic internet culture of "why buy the cow when I can get the milk for free" sentiment sets in with many people, and they don't see clearly what the value of your paid content could be versus the free content.

I guess if you look at the successful tutorial models out there (such as Cooper's), you will find some model that allows you to be successful.

Thanks for your knowledge and know that you will be missed.

Best,
bonkers

Last edited:
Sorry to see you go Chris, you sure did a lot around here and helped a lot of people. I hope whatever you do in life it makes you happy and you make profits.

Chris,

Thanks for your help in the past, the videos were always high quality, as are you. While you're lurking, I hope you're seeing appreciation for your efforts.

Cliff makes a great point, and even before he said so I couldn't help but think of the way he and FAS are often treated here, in their own forum! As you are on the production side of things, I am quite sure you know how consuming it can be. Applying that same mentality to FAS, I think it's easy to see how/why they might not have noticed the efforts of many here. It's because they are expending a lot of time and effort that is also going to be given away for free, also to often inconsiderate and unthankful recipients.

Guess what I am saying is you and Cliff have a lot more in common than you have differences in this area. You ought to stick around.

Either way, a sincere thanks, and Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Don't ever give anything away unless you can afford to, and if you do, give it away because you want to, with no expectations of reciprocation.
Anything else and you'll become bitter and jaded.

This is the key. Right here. You don't start helping people for free because you crave acknowledgement or want to be "taken care of" -- you do it because it feels good and that in, and of, itself should suffice. Anything else and you're headed for disappoint and a post like the one that started this thread.

Don't start a business until you've really studied whether it's viable and there is a real need which people will be willing to pay for. Doesn't matter if it's something you really want to do. The country is full of derelict sound companies and recording studios because that's the business somebody wanted to do, but there was no market for it.
Throwing down the wisdom today in a nice way, Mr.X!

Bummed you felt you had to disengage like this, Chris. Maybe a break will help? I like to log off for a few days here and there and clear my head. It helps. No doubt what you did was valuable and appreciated.

This is the key. Right here. You don't start helping people for free because you crave acknowledgement or want to be "taken care of" -- you do it because it feels good and that in, and of, itself should suffice.

shootlikes.jpg

I understand your frustrations Chris,

Its unfortunate that were losing you as your one of the few that really helped me out with suggestions other then use the search field. Good luck in your future endeavors!

You don't start helping people for free because you crave acknowledgement or want to be "taken care of" -- you do it because it feels good and that in, and of, itself should suffice.

I always did it because it felt good to help people. For 3+ years. It did suffice. In the same way FAS doesn't charge for upgrades, I did not want to charge the end-user for my videos. Yes, that's a flawed business model, but at the time I had the resources to do so. Believe it or not, I help other businesses run successfully, I handle their marketing, web, computer systems, among other things. I just didn't want this to turn into that.

As others said, if I really expected things all that time, I would have explicitly asked for them, marketed a subscription or paid service, or quit a long time ago.

I didn't intend to start a business nor did I want to be "taken care of" nor did I expect FAS to do anything for me. I said all that before, but in a sea of text it was probably missed.

Only in the past few months I wanted to ramp things up and see what it would take for the market to support a paid model, only to support itself and its time. It seems coincidentally, the CreativeLive sessions happened, G66 did their own vids... Etc. which is all great, truly.

I have a lot going on in "real life" and paired with what I wrote before about how I feel and the amount of work/funding needed to launch successfully alongside FAS official/supported things, I just need to stop and focus on other things. I'm not sure if many people understand how challenging it is to make tutorials, videos and support a product. You really constantly have to have the latest changes, firmware, features, forum posts, discussions and other stuff on the forefront of your mind. Take a break for even 2 weeks and it's a struggle to get back into it. Then you suggest something and it turns out completely wrong and you screw someone up.

I already took a break from the forum this year. Needing a 2nd one so soon is a sign that it's just not right for me. Yes, the way forum interaction has been going is making me want to stop all this as well.

It's funny (and revealing) to see people react to this like "who are you?" I know not everyone knows me or what I did. But for those wondering I wanted to explain what was going on.

A concerned citizen tweeted me yesterday saying I may look bad with that first post. Thanks, but that's how I feel and what I perceived, so it is what it is. If people read this and see me as an asshole cry-baby, so be it.

Again, I appreciate everything people have done with/for me in the past. I hold no animosity against anyone I've mentioned, I'm not mad at FAS or anyone specifically. Timing is timing, and I just need to stop.

Thanks for the comments in this thread. I expected to get advice and "you did this wrong" sort of statements. It's easy to suggest things from the outside - I do that in my day job as I mentioned. But it's hard for me to convey the impetus for all of this and why I did what I did. And that's ok. I agree with and knew about much of what was suggested.

The main reason I took everything down, is I didn't want my exit to be viewed as a passive aggressive "I'm leaving, but maybe people will donate or buy my videos since I said this to make me stay." Also, many of the vids are already out of date due to firmware changes etc. so I didn't want old info out there anyway.

But what I'll do is take out all the donate text, turn off ads and comments, and put them back up sometime. I just won't support them and answer 5 questions a day anymore ;)

I didn't really want to type this response, but wanted to clear up that I didn't expect acknowledgement or money from this throughout the 3+ years. This thing grew very organically, but I just can't do it anymore and I'm stopping.

Take care guys.

But what I'll do is take out all the donate text, turn off ads and comments, and put them back up sometime. I just won't support them and answer 5 questions a day anymore

Thanks for that, and for doing what you did for as long as you did. Out of date information isn't useless. It just needs to be approached with some common sense.

Hey, Chris! I hope you did notice all the thanks you got, all the mentions in lists of helpful people on the forum. I did. And I hope you will be looking back at those mentions and smile somewhere in the near future. Your help will be missed even if they don't know it. Especially then. As far as I read this thread and the other one, there aren't that many critics. Mostly people thinking its a shame to see you go. That's a compliment if I ever saw one.

I wish you nothing but good luck in the future.

Chris, I don't know how many forum members there are, but I can guess a lot more that don't comment than those that do. My opinion is that the community benefited greatly from your posts and well-made tutorials. Folks are often quick to judge and always wanting more; often the minority, and that's just the nature of discussion forums. I liked your content, and sorry to see you pull out. I hope you'll eventually reconsider, and know that your generosity, along with FAS, if very appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom